Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 Wakesetter 247 LSV - engine suddenly dying

I have a 2011 Wakesetter 247 LSV with 160 hours that I purchased from original owner last month. I have a recurring issue with the boat dying once or twice most outings.

While running, an audible beep for about 2 seconds, the maliview screen and other screen both go blank then the Malibu symbol twirls on screen as it does on initial power up, all gauges go blank, then come back on, the music never stops (or perhaps it does for split second but unnoticeable), I have to enter 4 digit code to restart engine and it starts right up as if nothing at all happened. There is no discernible pattern to when this happens, could be in choppy water or smooth, engine could have been running all day or for 5 minutes.

Previous owner was meticulous with boat but hadn't run it much in recent years, he says he never had this happen to him, so I'm assuming some corrosion to electrical connection somewhere.

My local boat mechanic said battery terminals, so I've made sure those are all tight (both batteries are brand new.) The mechanic ran the boat and it died on him once and he said he found a wire with lose connection under dash running from power switch and secured it but it has continued to die.

I went and talked to mechanics at local Malibu Dealership and they all said immediately it's the power switch (the round button on right side of dash that turns blue when engaged.) So I bought one ($82) and installed, and nothing has changed. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

Kind of sounds like you are getting a voltage drop below a solid 12v to the dash which will shut down the MV. The battery terminals and corroded battery posts would be my first inspection. I had an issue with the ignition master reset button under the throttle a couple years back. The wires were poorly crimped to the female spade clip that attached to the back of the round black reset switch. The combination of wave action and the weight of the free hanging wires finally caused the wires to partially work out of the female end and cause a no start or intermittent shut off with an immediate power on like you have been experiencing. The last place I thought to check was the lanyard and then the switch. Easy diagnosis, I just turned the key to run/on and smacked the throttle panel and of course it shuts off. Talk about a high pucker incident, it shut off on me the first time while a tug and barges were bearing down on us! 

IMG_0200.JPG

Edited by wdr
Add pic

"so I'm assuming some corrosion to electrical connection somewhere."

Sounds like Canon Plug to me.  I had the what sounds like the same issue, albeit on my '02.  Would be cruising along, and it was as if I turned the key off and on quickly.  Gauges recycled, engine 'quit' for split second, got the underdash beeping...but I didn't have the malivue stuff or anything like that.

I disconnected the canon plug, cleaned out the junk in there (not so much corrosion as it was a bunch of crap resembling clear, hardened silicon caulking) and gently, ever so gently pried the male prongs in random directions...gently and slightly being the key.  Then I applied dielectric grease to plug, reassembled and never had the problem again.

Edit:  just in case you don't know, the canon plug is where the engine manufacturers wiring meets the Malibu wiring harness.  It's a plug, near engine, that looks like an old 35mm film canister with a hose clamp around it.

Edited by RTS

So I had an hour this morning to piddle with boat, and had the power switch on right before starting, and gave the panel right between the throttle and circuit breaker strip a tap with my fist and it reproduced the short, the screens went blank, then the rotating Malibu icon, and I thought ok I'm isolating this issue. Started up and drove around for an hour, stopping, starting, differing speeds, and tapping that area with fist and never could get it to go off/on again. 

Thought id move on to checking canon plug, but was running short on time and couldn't locate it. I've been reading on here and sounds like it's port side front of engine with hose clamp, so I'll head back tomorrow to look.

Any thoughts?

I doubt you are going to find an issue back at the canon plug if you replicated the issue in the throttle area. One of two things is most likely the issue. Either the safety lanyard has issues or the ignition reset switch or wires has issues. 

12 hours ago, Mavrick99 said:

So I had an hour this morning to piddle with boat, and had the power switch on right before starting, and gave the panel right between the throttle and circuit breaker strip a tap with my fist and it reproduced the short, the screens went blank, then the rotating Malibu icon, and I thought ok I'm isolating this issue. Started up and drove around for an hour, stopping, starting, differing speeds, and tapping that area with fist and never could get it to go off/on again. 

Thought id move on to checking canon plug, but was running short on time and couldn't locate it. I've been reading on here and sounds like it's port side front of engine with hose clamp, so I'll head back tomorrow to look.

Any thoughts?

this pix shows what the canon plug looks like

Special thanks to wdr, but I'm pretty optimistic that the ignition reset switch was the culprit. The wire was indeed loose! So far so good! Thanks