Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 or newer Malibu VLX 21/22 where's the sweet spot

Jonasjmac

Having looked at the boats and what we want have decided 21/22 VLX meets what we want out of our family boat, not that 20 VTX wouldnt work but the price points are better and more used availability. Trying to buy new enough to have most of of the newer bells and whistles and reliability and paying around 50-55k, what years are currently in that sweet spot value? I looked at the new ones and seems they have a price point  79k, out the door 84, seems malibu has set pricing from what I've been told and not going to get any better deals than that new.  From what I've seen out there

Have not seen any 15-16's-good thing people like their boats and arent' selling

2013- 14 60's

2011-12 50's

Need to look 2010 to find under 50k

Is there that much difference in the newer models to justify paying more? Anything that's definitely worth the extra cost, surf gate etc

I know everyone has different wants but curious to think what the board has to say before making a big investment on the boat

Cheers!

If you're planning to surf much, surf gate's going to be pretty nice but 2013 was the first year for that. I'd lean towards a 2014 for surf gate since 2013 was the first model year of that system.

If surf gate isn't a must have, then the 2010-2012 VLX is pretty much the same boat and it's all about relative condition, location and prices to decide what you get.

Not sure the size of crew or how you'll use and store whatever you get but have you ruled out the LSV for any reason? 

Felt like LSV was just too big, would rarely have more than 6 on the boat, and usually 4 + 2 labs, also the extra weight trailering it with our Ford 150 was a concern as it will be kept at our house and towed to Lake 10-15 minutes away. We are going to store it at our place, storage space is not an issue. Could pre 2013 be retrofitted for surfgate?

Edited by Jonasjmac
add surfgate question

Some have retro fitted surf gates to earlier years but it's not common. Surf gate isn't required to surf, it's more of a convenience and/or comfort thing if you don't like switching sides with ballast drain/fill times.

I'm going to try a suction gate on mine this year and see if I like that more than listing it. Most dealers have something like the Mission Delta for sale around $400 and you can get them online too. I've never been on a boat with one yet to try it out though.

I progressed from a 16' I/0, 21' I/O, 21'6" VD and then to a new '10 LSV and even with the empty nest we still don't regret the room! In fact we picked up a lot of friends in the transitions especially once we got into a VD. It  can't imagine it not handling as well as a VLX and everyone wants to pile in once we start surfing. I was pulling the LSV with my 5.3 Tahoe for 5 years with no problems even on hour long trips, granted I wasn't going over the "grape vine" but it pulled and stopped it just fine/safely. Given similar hours and not a big price difference I would definately give a LSV a test drive comparison. Good luck with the hunt.

• Like 2

I started with a 2012 VTX and intended to mostly waterski.  I tried surfing with a friend, and ended up buying the Wicked Wakesurf tabs for my boat.  It worked pretty well, but was a bit of an annoyance to be changing them from side to side, and driving with them on is tricky (but you get somewhat used to it).  I upgraded to a 2014 VTX because of Surfgate.  After surfing a couple of times we found out how fun it is, and now surf about 90% of the time.  Just having Surfgate and the ability to make a wave with the push of a button is worth the extra $ without a doubt to me.  The biggest difference from 13 to 14 is faster actuators if you end up doing transfers from side to side surfing.  Good luck in the search!