Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2nd Battery Install Help

Roush611

I installed my Blue Seas add a battery kit yesterday.  When I turn the switch on everything seems to work, but the batteries won't combine.  I was reading 13.8 volts at the 1 terminal on the switch, but nothing on the 2 terminal or on the 2nd battery. Here is how I have it wired.  What am I doing wrong?

20123505-26DA-4C58-AE0F-FFE776E1BDE4_zps

11 minutes ago, MLA said:

you have no ground link between the batteries. 

So the best option here is to get one of these guys...

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1401086112468747762?lsf=seller:2709845,store:16475024299614109682&prds=oid:13508507687015173921&q=blue+seas+busbar&hl=en-us&ei=n3v7WIPbIsaYjwPl-LuYAQ&lsft=gclid:CJ-buaG1uNMCFQqDfgodMEoBNw

Do I run all the grounds there or just the starter and batteries and then all the stereo grounds to the battery?

Edited by Roush611

No, you dont need BUS bar to make the ACR work. It may be worth while to reach out to your Blue Sea retailer for a custom diagram. Beyond the one missing cable that will certainly prevent the ACR from working, I see a potential for you to run the cranking battery dead while at anchor. 

13 hours ago, MLA said:

No, you dont need BUS bar to make the ACR work. It may be worth while to reach out to your Blue Sea retailer for a custom diagram. Beyond the one missing cable that will certainly prevent the ACR from working, I see a potential for you to run the cranking battery dead while at anchor. 

What are you seeing that will run the battery dead?

so think of everything you wire in the boat like a big circle... a circuit.

All parts must be connected to both positive and negative to work.  The electrical part is out there in the middle of the circuit, and to operate it closes the circuit for power.

I'd guess you have two potential problems: either (as noted above) a missing ground link between the two batteries, or no ground on the acr (the tiny black wire that attaches under the cover).  Even if you have the batteries grounded to one another, if the ACR isn't grounded, it can't complete its circuit and perform its electrical function to open and close the positive circuit between the two batteries.

On 4/22/2017 at 8:43 AM, MLA said:

you have no ground link between the batteries. 

On 4/23/2017 at 6:55 AM, shawndoggy said:

so think of everything you wire in the boat like a big circle... a circuit.

All parts must be connected to both positive and negative to work.  The electrical part is out there in the middle of the circuit, and to operate it closes the circuit for power.

I'd guess you have two potential problems: either (as noted above) a missing ground link between the two batteries, or no ground on the acr (the tiny black wire that attaches under the cover).  Even if you have the batteries grounded to one another, if the ACR isn't grounded, it can't complete its circuit and perform its electrical function to open and close the positive circuit between the two batteries.

Thank you for your help! I fixed this yesterday and its working like a charm!

This reminds me of my snafu last summer. When I first wired up my ACR Blue Seas system I didn't have any black ground wire for the ACR so I slapped on a piece of speaker wire temporarily.  Once I verified all was well I buttoned everything up and pulled off the temp wire with the intentions of replacing with the proper gauge black wire.  Guess I forgot because after quite a few trips to the lake I noticed my stereo acting crazy...cutting on and off like there was a loose connection.  I spent a little while checking connections before I put a voltmeter on my stereo battery....9 volts lol.  I was like what the hell??  Took me a second to figure out I never went back and grounded my ACR. 

@Steve B.

On most boats, the small alt output runs to the starter main post where it terminates with the large main starter cable that goes to the cranking battery (single battery boat) or switch (dual bank boats). On some boats that use a diode type isolator, the alt output goes to the ISO, which then branches off to each battery. Obviously, this would be a dual bank setup.  

• 11 months later...

So, I've got the single battery set-up described above (small alt output running to the starter main post meeting up with the large positive cable from the cranking battery - the only battery). Its on a stock 2000 Sunsetter VLX w/ Indmar Monsoon engine. My question:

I am adding a second battery with the Blue Seas ACR (WITHOUT a battery switch) and need to ensure that I correctly isolate the "Starter" battery. How do I ensure that my house load goes to the correct battery? I thought it was as simple as

1) moving the end of the existing positive cable from the starter to the "B" terminal of the ACR

2) running a new positive line from the "A" terminal of the ACR to the positive terminal of the new battery and

3) running new positive line from the positive terminal of the new battery to the starter (grounding new battery, and ACR of course)

This seems to create the necessary system "loop" but my brain hurts when I try to figure out how the House loads are getting power without draining the starter battery.

Can someone provide before and after steps for making this conversion? I feel like I'm overthinking this! Thanks for any help. 

Could someone validate my proposed dual-battery set-up? In my stock, single battery setup, the small Alternator output (orange wire) currently runs through the box on the front of the engine (I can only assume this is where the accessories are tied in) on its way to meeting the positive battery cable at the starter. My real question is: if I move the existing alternator wire and positive battery cable from the starter to the B terminal on the ACR, then run new cables from A terminal to pos battery and from starter to pos battery, are we good? 

2 hours ago, Cambo5000 said:

Could someone validate my proposed dual-battery set-up? In my stock, single battery setup, the small Alternator output (orange wire) currently runs through the box on the front of the engine (I can only assume this is where the accessories are tied in) on its way to meeting the positive battery cable at the starter. My real question is: if I move the existing alternator wire and positive battery cable from the starter to the B terminal on the ACR, then run new cables from A terminal to pos battery and from starter to pos battery, are we good? 

What ACR are you proposing to use? Most ACRs are not "distribute on demand", but rather send alternator feed to the house bank when its level permits. You typically dont connect the alternator directly to the ACR, it remains much like it was. 

3 hours ago, Cambo5000 said:

As MLA suggested, you're making this too complicated. Just hook your stereo to the  new battery and install the ACR per the directions.  Don't change any existing cabling.

Yeah, I figured I was overthinking it. My intent was to essentially add a starter battery and use the existing battery as the house/accessory/stereo battery since everything was already wired to that.

@Cambo5000 cant get any more simple and effective then a plain old 1/2/BOTH/OFF switch. Will do what you want, just manually. 

A little more involved install is the Blue Sea Dual Circuit Plus OFF/ON/COMBINE switch and an ACR. 

I dont like or suggest an ACR or heavy duty solenoid only setup.