Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 malibu 247 the 383 vs 8100 and 383 problems

Afastmotorider

I'm looking at buying a 2007 malibu 247 one of the boats has a 383 hammerhead and one the boats has a 8.1 vortec 8100 both have 500 hours the one with the 8100 is 6k dollars more.which motor is better and do the 383 motors have allot of issues?

I have almost 1500 hours on my 8.1L in my 2004 LSV and it runs great! The 8.1 will deliver you a lot more low end torque than the 383. The engine has been almost flawless for me. I had a cylinder leak down test done about 50 hours ago and I am still at about 90% of what a new engine should be.

-Dave

Got a 07 247 with 8.1 and love it. The only thing to really keep an eye on is riser gaskets, never felt like I've run out of power. Once you ditch the stock 381 prop fuel consumption gets way better.

Edited by shadetreefab
6 minutes ago, shadetreefab said:

Got a 07 247 with 8.1 and love it. The only thing to really keep an eye on is riser gaskets, never felt like I've run out of power. Once you ditch the stock 381 prop fuel consumption gets way better.

I feel the same about my 8.1. just plan on spending a few hours every (or every other) season replace those riser gaskets. Not difficult, just a pain.

At 630 hours on my 06, only issues have been those gaskets and vapor lock a few times on the hottest days. (Just put cool towel on pump to fix) they make an aux pump kit to fix that, but its pretty expensive.

Fuel consumption isn't much of a concern unless you run wot for lengthy amount of time... Surf rpm are below 3krpm with decent prop on it.

I only considered 8.1 boats boats when shopping. The one hammer head 247 i tested seamed like it could hold it's own, but it was propped and only had stock ballast, so not a great comparison.  i wouldn't completely rule it out if you found the right boat otherwise. At this point on a 10 year old boat, The premium you pay for 8.1 will hold value for resale. I don't know about $6k, but i would think it's at least $3k more valuable to me...

You can't easily swap engines later on if you decide you need more, but stereo or tower accessories are pretty easy.

I have an 8.1 and personally based on reviews of both would not buy a 383.  It's a bad a** stroker motor but a lot of issues as previously mentioned. 8.1 all the way.

I have an 07 247 with the HH and I'd agree with everything above, I wished I'd been more patient a waited for an 8.1 to come available, although I wouldn't have paid 6k more for it.  I have no complaints on the performance, I run 3-4k in ballast and surf at 3k rpm with a 2313 and the fuel consumption hasn't seemed ridiculously high.  The HH's just have some potential quirks about them that's annoying, and mine happens to display them all.

Edited by Ndawg12

what kind of quirks has you seen with you you hammerhead 383?the cheapest 247 with the 8.1 i have found is 47k and the cheapest 247 with the 383 id 41k both have 500 hours both same year same overall condition and options.

Oil burn, oil pressure, tranny rattle, can't do a full oil change due to design of the oil pan, just off the top of my head.  I'm lucky to change 4 qts at a time so I change it every 30-40 hours.  Those are pretty good prices, especially for this time of year. I've got 100 more hours on my HH and wouldn't list it south of $49k right now.  

It's crazy, I picked up my 07 w/8.1 200hrs 2 years ago for 42k from a dealer. Nobody wanted it cause it had a big block.

Edited by shadetreefab
5 hours ago, shadetreefab said:

It's crazy, I picked up my 07 w/8.1 200hrs 2 years ago for 42k from a dealer. Nobody wanted it cause it had a big block.

You should sell it to me for 45k haha