Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

NEW/First time Boat Buyer & Seeking advice-98 Sunsetter VLX

DWA5

Hello M-Crew:

I'm new to the forum and soon to be a first time boat owner.  I have been looking/researching for some time and have decided to look for an older V-drive, given that myself and most others will be wakeboarding/surfing and with 2 young children (8 and 4) some tubing.  I also like the room the v drive provides.  With that said, I am wanting a boat with a tower and a ballast system.  

I have come across a 98 Sunsetter VLX in my area with an asking price of $17.5k, 715 hours, wake tower, 4 fat sac ballast, wedge, custom aluminum bimini top, new trailer brakes. Standard upkeep and maintenance/winterization, however stored outside w/extreme boat cover. Live in the NW and have colder winters.

I like the sunsetter and the reviews to go with it, however the price on this particular one seems high, given other forum threads and blue book pricing.

Very green at this and looking at some advice on whether this is a high asking price for this old of a boat?  Anything else specifically I should ask seller to determine if it's worth the time to view and perhaps test drive?

Any and all help is much appreciated.   

That actually seems like a decent price, take a look on onlyinboards and you will see lots in the 20s.    Take it for a test drive, test everything out, ballast, perfect pass etc... If it's private, maybe take it to a local shop to get checked up on. 

Something that swayed my decision was the way the rear hatch opened up and how easy it was for me to store skis, boards and vests and get to them without having to make passangers move or get up. I decided to get a three piece hatch and to focus on the diamond hull to maximize the smoothness of a  ski wake while getting me a wake boarding wake as well. 

10 minutes ago, williemon said:

Something that swayed my decision was the way the rear hatch opened up and how easy it was for me to store skis, boards and vests and get to them without having to make passangers move or get up. I decided to get a three piece hatch and to focus on the diamond hull to maximize the smoothness of a  ski wake while getting me a wake boarding wake as well. 

Hatch is a pain. Especially when the day you buy you take it home and put it in the water,go for a ride, park it on the lift. Then the next day go to start it and nothing happens and the hatch doesn't open. After pulling the pins and getting the hatch removed you find the marina you bought it from didn't tighten the battery cables. Same day I relocated the battery lol. When my hatch cover needs reupholstered I will be looking to change it to a 3pc if I still have the boat when that happens

Edited by jbower