Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Navigation maps '17 VLX

Lees23

Hello all,

When I took delivery my dealer told me that I just need to buy a card to load maps into the nav system.  He said they are pretty cheap on the internet.  Does anyone know what card to buy and where it goes? I have not seen and card slots in the boat.  

Thanks all,

Steve

Only slot I've seen on my 15 is if the glove box and it seems it's for the stereo.  The card should be a Navionics card for your region.  Following as I'm not sure on this and been meaning to do this as well.

You can also download navionics app on your phone and its only like $10/yr.  I think the card you need is $150 but not sure how often it needs to be updated.

Navionics + is the one you want. Go to their website and make an account, and purchase direct. Slot is in the back.

There are several other threads here that talk about it.

IMG_7442_resized (2).jpg

On 4/21/2017 at 7:31 PM, t a said:

Only slot I've seen on my 15 is if the glove box and it seems it's for the stereo.  The card should be a Navionics card for your region.  Following as I'm not sure on this and been meaning to do this as well.

See below.

On 4/21/2017 at 7:44 PM, jeffmx said:

Navionics + is the one you want. Go to their website and make an account, and purchase direct. Slot is in the back.

IMG_7442_resized (2).jpg

Yep, 2 slots on the back of the 7" screen to the stbd side of the boat.

On 4/21/2017 at 7:44 PM, jeffmx said:

IMG_7442_resized (2).jpg

When registering and selecting your navigation system, which one did you chose? Do our boats with with the sonar maps (it looks like that's what you have in the pic). 

I ordered the maps and antenna from Amazon on Friday. Navionics plus East card and this antenna. Both arrived today. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LXRQY9A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Antenna has a magnetic base and fits nicely on the steering column support. GPS lock on was under 1 minute and everything works perfectly. Total install time less then 5 minutes. The slot for the maps is behind the 7 inch screen in the upper left corner if youre facing the stern for the install. There is a rubber cover protecting the slots. Map card goes in the left or outboard slot again facing the stern. The Antenna plug is just below next to the Bluetooth antenna. Easy to spot since it's a gold connector.

Edited by Sailvi767
12 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

I ordered the maps and antenna from Amazon on Friday. Navionics plus East card and this antenna. Both arrived today. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LXRQY9A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Antenna has a magnetic base and fits nicely on the steering column support. GPS lock on was under 1 minute and everything works perfectly. Total install time less then 5 minutes. The slot for the maps is behind the 7 inch screen in the upper left corner if youre facing the stern for the install. There is a rubber cover protecting the slots. Map card goes in the left or outboard slot again facing the stern. The Antenna plug is just below next to the Bluetooth antenna. Easy to spot since it's a gold connector.

I didn't purchase the $15 antenna, had to buy the $7 antenna due to tight funds :).  

Is the card slot micro XD?  I think the maps version I bought is a micro xd card.  I assume an adapter will work if the slot is a standard sized slot. 

It's a standard sized slot. I am told an adapter will work. I did not bother updating the card. It worked right out of the box. I went all out and bought the super deluxe antenna because it said it was waterproof.

Edited by Sailvi767
Just now, Sailvi767 said:

It's a standard sized slot. I am told an adapter will work. I did not bother updating the card. It worked right out of the box. I went all out and bought the super deluxe antenna because it said it was waterproof.

So your card is the standard size?

35 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

What brand system did you select when registering your card?

Now that you mention it I looked at the box. The card was a MSD shipped installed in a adaptor. I did not notice so I guess the adaptor works!

Just now, LS1boarder said:

What brand system did you select when registering your card?

I did not register it yet. As I mentioned it worked fine right out of the box.

3 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

I did not register it yet. As I mentioned it worked fine right out of the box.

Oh my apologies, I didn't catch that. Darn! I should have just plugged mine in! Now it erased the sonar data from my card. I think I can fix it though. 

Just now, LS1boarder said:

Oh my apologies, I didn't catch that. Darn! I should have just plugged mine in! Now it erased the sonar data from my card. I think I can fix it though. 

Why did it do this?

I clicked that I didn't know what the brand of my device was and it said that it was erasing the sonar data. But there's a way to refresh it all back. I think. 

29 minutes ago, LS1boarder said:

I clicked that I didn't know what the brand of my device was and it said that it was erasing the sonar data. But there's a way to refresh it all back. I think. 

Thanks for letting me know what not to push!!!

IME, last year the SD card (Navioncs Platinum) was made obsolete with updates. It worked fine until there was a Medallion update and the new Navionics update would not work. If I hadn't updated the Nav card, it would of still worked. Now that card has been replaced with the Navionics+ card. Really, if you think about it, the maps have been the same for years, the updates are minor updates from sonar data uploaded from customers. For what our Nav systems read, most of those updates are not even worth the time to put your card in the computer to update. I'm not registering my Navionics card unless the Medallion update makes me. I'm not too concerned about the free updates for a year.

• 2 years later...

Just read through this thread.  Purchased a Navionics Nav+ card and could not figure out why it wouldn't work.  Will get it worked out this evening.  Thanks for the advice.

While I see the importance of having access to updates generally speaking - for software, hardware and such. How often does the map info need updated when looking at lakes and rivers? I'd say if one had map data dated within the prior 50 years, you probably have the lakes and rivers covered, right?