Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Custom board doesn't fit in rack

barefootboy

Have a custom board that is too thick for the tower rack. Also is very soft. Anybody have the same problem and any ingenious way of keeping it on the boat? Haven't tried this on the water yet but put a cargo net on top of my bimini and slid my board w/ case underneath. Looks like it may work. Tired of having the board in the floor basically. Thanks!

the new boats come with the option of pockets sewn in the bimini for board storage, and your local canvas guy can probably make some.

As proof of concept, your stretchy cargo net idea is right on the money.

• Like 2

I have had 3 different versions, the local canvas guy, the factory Malibu,  and now factory Centurion.  Each has had its benefits.  If I were doing again I would do a hybrid of all 3.  

1. You can create sleeves, I prefer full length sleeves as the board sits exposed to the UV while up there, this causes your board to yellow.  

2. Use a simple bungi with the ends going though the bottom of the sleeve next to the bimini.  Then stretch the bungi up and over the fins on the board to hold it in place.  This is WAY better than the adjustable Velcro straps.  

3. If your doing yourself,  stagger the sleeves so you can get 4 boards up top!  

• Like 3

I use a cargo net on top of the bimini and it works pretty well. What I like the most is that it is super easy to just slide it in place. On occasion, when WOT, we forget and a board flies out.  Another time, we lost a brand new phase5 when one of the cargo net hooks was not hooked. As we drove down the ramp, it fell out and no one noticed since we were all in the truck.

Edited by bbattiste247
  • Like 1