Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is there an interchangeable starter replacement for 2005 Malibu Wakesetter

Stxbrowneyes

2005 Malibu wakesetter. I believe the starter or starter solenoid is starting to go out on the boat. We have to tap the starter in order for it to fire up. Can anybody recommend where to get the parts either starter or solenoid to get this problem fixed. I would prefer not to have to go to the dealer for the parts so if there is somewhere but I can buy an interchangeable starter that would be great. Such as AutoZone or somewhere like that. It's Thursday now I would like to have the boat ready for the Water by Saturday. 

Just now, 85 Barefoot said:

in my opinion, of all the components on the engine, get a marine grade starter.  If you can remove/install, I'm sure your dealer has one in stock for a monsoon.

Except that you'll likely pay $200 + for a <$100 marine starter.   It is important for it to be a marine starter, but dealer prices are crazy for starters and alternators (Malibu dealers, Mercruiser dealers, anyone)

Two days time, you are kind of at the mercy of local shops. You can expedite shipping, but you will still be at about the same price then. Try NAPA, they sometimes have marine grade starters. FWIW, I buy Mallory marine starters. They seem very well built and pretty good torque output.

If you get at Napa or a car parts store then make sure to look for SAE J1171 stamped somewhere on the starter.  That indicates a marine spec starter.  Otherwise it is tough to tell by looking at them.  Marine alternators are easier to spot since you can see the spark screens behind the pulley

Edited by oldjeep

Find or Google, "Alternator or Starter rebuild shops in the Houston area" and you will probably come up with 10 places as big as Houston is. Even in my podunk TN town we have 2 places. They will rebuild the internals of the starter as needed or otherwise replace the solenoid (most common failure point) which is a sealed unit and have you out the door in a day or less dependent on how busy they are. That is crazy to pay that kind of money and have to wait on it when there is a local place that can rebuild it and still keep the marine integrity of the unit.

I may have an extra starter laying around that I could overnight to you.  A couple years ago I thought I had a bad starter, me being the terrible diagnoser that I am bought a new starter, only to find out it was a busted bolt.  I'll look for it tonight if you're interested and would want to pay the shipping to get it by Saturday.  

1 hour ago, Stxbrowneyes said:

2005 Malibu wakesetter. I believe the starter or starter solenoid is starting to go out on the boat. We have to tap the starter in order for it to fire up. Can anybody recommend where to get the parts either starter or solenoid to get this problem fixed. I would prefer not to have to go to the dealer for the parts so if there is somewhere but I can buy an interchangeable starter that would be great. Such as AutoZone or somewhere like that. It's Thursday now I would like to have the boat ready for the Water by Saturday.