Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone Near New Germany, MN?

Scott N

Crew, I'm in final stage of purchasing this 2008 Response LXI from a dealer in MN. I am based in CA and have not put eyes on the boat. Is there anyone local that would be willing to check it out and report back? Thanks!

http://www.onlyinboards.com/IMG-1461.JPG-for-sale-Baxter-Minnesota-62781.aspx

Edited by Scott N

I live pretty close to MN Inboard's excelsior location.  That ad says it is in their Baxter location which is up north a couple hours.  Their New Germany service\storage location is about 20 minutes from me.

I wouldn't be too concerned with anything that MN Inboard is selling, they are good people in my experience - biggest Malibu dealer in the country.  Only thing I see in the pictures is that some chucklehead put snaps all around the bow ;)

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

Yeah - I think that one is going to be up in Baxter based on the pictures.  Either way it should be a good item to pick up like @oldjeep says

10 minutes ago, Skin2Win said:

This may be a silly question but, why would a ski boat have a power wedge?  What would you do with it?

Wakeboard, same thing you do with the manual or floating wedge on an LXI.  My inlaws 04 LXI has a manual wedge that gets used for the wake boarders in the family

Big thanks to @oldjeep for taking time to look over the LXI. Got a good report card back this afternoon. Next steps underway to get it shrink wrapped and ready for its cross country journey.

@Skin2Win Wife and I enjoy slalom but want some wakeboard capability for kids and friends that join us on the water. Not into adding or dealing with ballast. LXI with wedge is perfect boat for what we intend to do.

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats!

1. Don't see why you wouldn't be able to add a shut off valve.

2. You can adjust the contrast of the screen in the set-up menu. just hit the up/down arrows until you see setup.

4. Could be a number of things. Easiest to check is the drip rate of the shaft packing. I switched to a drip-less shaft packing (drip-less as in fewer drips, not drip free). This helped a lot. It's also worth taking an 8mm nut driver and hand tightening/checking all of the clamps - while you're doing this make sure the hoses aren't cracked. I have an '07 - all of the hoses look to be in good shape, but the raw water intake is starting to look tired. Make sure the removable door on the raw water pump isn't leaking. The leaking shower head could be the cause. I don't have a shower, so I don't know how they work, but if the water pressure is bumped up while hitting higher rpms, then this could be a source of water. Beyond these, maybe check that the bolts for the swim platform, rudder, and tracking fins are not dripping - on occasion the silicone sealant can go.

Good Luck!

• Like 3

Glad to see it got there.  Other thing to check on the bilge water is to make sure that it actually got drained out all the way from the rainwater that was in it.  Open up the ski locker and see if there is a plug in it towards the back of the locker, also see if there is a bunch of water under the plastic piece that lays in the bottom of the ski locker.  My inlaws LXI always seems to hold water there unless it is tipped way back to drain.

Other areas to check - make sure all the fin bolts are there, they were all there when I looked at it but if one falls out then it causes a pretty fast leak.

Enjoy

• Like 2
16 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Other thing to check on the bilge water is to make sure that it actually got drained out all the way from the rainwater that was in it.  Open up the ski locker and see if there is a plug in it towards the back of the locker, also see if there is a bunch of water under the plastic piece that lays in the bottom of the ski locker.  My inlaws LXI always seems to hold water there unless it is tipped way back to drain.

Not sure what the configuration is on the new boats, but on the 03 there are plastic drain plugs at both the back of the "cooler" and the ski locker (as well as a metal plug in the floor of the ski locker).  Not sure what goes to where, but quite a few gallons of Florida gator water drained out when I opened those up.