Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
thejean

Used boat - how to transfer warranty?

Recommended Posts

thejean

Hi folks, I bought a used 2013 LSV and would like to transfer the balance of the warranty from the previous owner to myself. What is the process for doing that? I am in Alberta and the dealer who it was originally bought from no longer sells or warranties Malibu so likely calling them will be of no value. Suggestions? Thanks! 

Edited by thejean

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep

Go to the dealer you will use for warranty service and hand them a stack of cash (actually 2 stacks - one for Malibu and one for indmar)  - This assumes you still have some warranty left to transfer on both items

Share this post


Link to post
23LSVOwner
10 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Go to the dealer you will use for warranty service and hand them a stack of cash (actually 2 stacks - one for Malibu and one for indmar)  - This assumes you still have some warranty left to transfer on both items

^this^

 

Might want to look at the warranty info in the owners manual also. If you didn't get one with the boat you can find a digital copy. I think I saw a place on here. If not you can find them on the Malibu site.

Share this post


Link to post
thejean

Thanks guys! And yes, I called dealer and Malibu and apparently on the 2013 there was only 3 years warranty. So looks like I have no more warranty other than lifetime structural. Oh well, let's hope she holds up! Haha!!

Share this post


Link to post
thejean

Also, just got another email back from Malibu and apparently they will only transfer a lifetime hull warranty to the second owner, not the the third and beyond. That seems pretty stupid in my mind. Anyway, needless to say, will definitely be a consideration in my decision to purchase a used boat in the future. Also, I feel like it's a tactic to try to force people to buy new instead of used. Anyway, just my two cents. From Malibu:

"Unfortunately the lifetime structural follows the same procedure. Only from original to second owner."

Share this post


Link to post
MadMan
7 minutes ago, thejean said:

Also, just got another email back from Malibu and apparently they will only transfer a lifetime hull warranty to the second owner, not the the third and beyond. That seems pretty stupid in my mind. Anyway, needless to say, will definitely be a consideration in my decision to purchase a used boat in the future. Also, I feel like it's a tactic to try to force people to buy new instead of used. Anyway, just my two cents. From Malibu:

"Unfortunately the lifetime structural follows the same procedure. Only from original to second owner."

Everything they do is a tactic to get more sales, including transferring the warranty, to not transferring the warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Monkeybutt

probably true - however a seller should be open and familiar with the warranty restrictions put forth by Malibu - those are clearly listed in their manuals and available online as mentioned earlier.  I have read those and would disclose this to a buyer that there's a warranty transfer fee.  However when shopping for my new boat and also looking at 2016 models at onlyinboards.com - nobody would mention this and only say how much warranty is left and that it is transferable.  Do I think this is misleading?  Well - I think honesty goes a long way and not disclosing material facts (and 700 bucks buys a few dinners or gas) ... my 2 cents ...

Share this post


Link to post
23LSVOwner
8 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

probably true - however a seller should be open and familiar with the warranty restrictions put forth by Malibu - those are clearly listed in their manuals and available online as mentioned earlier.  I have read those and would disclose this to a buyer that there's a warranty transfer fee.  However when shopping for my new boat and also looking at 2016 models at onlyinboards.com - nobody would mention this and only say how much warranty is left and that it is transferable.  Do I think this is misleading?  Well - I think honesty goes a long way and not disclosing material facts (and 700 bucks buys a few dinners or gas) ... my 2 cents ...

Exactly. So many people make a purchase, etc without even attempting to read the warranty. This happens across all brands.

 

Most brands that I am aware of also only allow a transfer to a second owner.

Share this post


Link to post
thejean
1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Most brands that I am aware of also only allow a transfer to a second owner.

Not sure the logic in that and frankly I feel that is crap. Can you imagine if car manufacturers tried to pull that nonsense? Clearly a tactic to pursuade people to buy new boats vs used. 

Share this post


Link to post
nlouthan

I have to disagree.  Almost every product that has a "lifetime" warranty is only warrantied for the original purchaser.  The fact that Malibu's hull warranty can be transferred to even the second owner is very generous.  Do you really expect Malibu to be warrantying hulls that have had 10 owners and are 50 years old?  There has to be a limit at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
23LSVOwner
4 minutes ago, thejean said:

Not sure the logic in that and frankly I feel that is crap. Can you imagine if car manufacturers tried to pull that nonsense? Clearly a tactic to pursuade people to buy new boats vs used. 

The car industry isn't the marine industry. Unfortunately many people think they are the same.

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep
Just now, nlouthan said:

I have to disagree.  Almost every product that has a "lifetime" warranty is only warrantied for the original purchaser.  The fact that Malibu's hull warranty can be transferred to even the second owner is very generous.  Do you really expect Malibu to be warrantying hulls that have had 10 owners and are 50 years old?  There has to be a limit at some point.

Heck, I've got a factory lifetime powertrain on my truck - not transferable.   I wouldn't really expect anyone selling me something to know about warranty transfer.  If they specifically told me that I could transfer the warranty and I couldn't then that might be a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Monkeybutt
Quote

 I wouldn't really expect anyone selling me something to know about warranty transfer

well - the question is if you use it in your listing as selling point like '3 years factory warranty left' as an example ... plenty of the listings do.  So if you advertise you better know and disclose material facts associated with - like paying 700 bucks for the transfer ...

Share this post


Link to post
thejean
46 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

The car industry isn't the marine industry. Unfortunately many people think they are the same.

Yeah, I am very new to the Marine side of things and hadn't thought through the "lifetime warranty" implications. But if they aren't prepared to honour it, then don't offer it. Maybe offer a 20 year or something and tell the marketing department to figure out how to make that work. For example, no warranty on a two year old boat that had two previous owners and 50 hours seems a bit silly to me. But it is what it is. I just am very surprised/disappointed that they have this restriction is all. But I'll get over it once I'm out on the water and enjoying it here soon! ?

Share this post


Link to post
23LSVOwner
5 minutes ago, thejean said:

Yeah, I am very new to the Marine side of things and hadn't thought through the "lifetime warranty" implications. But if they aren't prepared to honour it, then don't offer it. Maybe offer a 20 year or something and tell the marketing department to figure out how to make that work. For example, no warranty on a two year old boat that had two previous owners and 50 hours seems a bit silly to me. But it is what it is. I just am very surprised/disappointed that they have this restriction is all. But I'll get over it once I'm out on the water and enjoying it here soon! ?

They do honor it. The complete details are in the warranty policy.

Car warranties follow the car.

 

Boat warranties follow the warranty registered owner with the manufacturer.

 

Get it on the water! Doubt you would ever need the structural warranty anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Chaser720
3 hours ago, thejean said:

Also, just got another email back from Malibu and apparently they will only transfer a lifetime hull warranty to the second owner, not the the third and beyond. That seems pretty stupid in my mind. Anyway, needless to say, will definitely be a consideration in my decision to purchase a used boat in the future. Also, I feel like it's a tactic to try to force people to buy new instead of used. Anyway, just my two cents. From Malibu:

"Unfortunately the lifetime structural follows the same procedure. Only from original to second owner."

Maybe Axis is different but I have an email from Malibu saying there is no warranty transfers at all as I am the second owner. 

Share this post


Link to post
thejean
9 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Boat warranties follow the warranty registered owner with the manufacturer.

Yes but this is what I don't understand - why is this the case? I mean, I can see if there is some sort of pre-qualification requirement to boat ownership and they put you through an interview process before you buy but I'm not aware that is the case. Why is the third owner not entitled to the same warranty privledges as the second owner when you're still within the original warranty timeframe that would apply to the first or second owner? I just can't see any solid logic for this other than:

1. A means to limit their overall warranty claims exposure 

2. Encourage people not to buy used boats

But anyway, beating a dead horse because like you said, I should never need it and it isn't like my moaning, whining and bitching is ever going to change their policy. Lol

Edited by thejean

Share this post


Link to post
Monkeybutt

and as another comment from outside the industry ... got sump pump system installed ... warranty is only extended to the one paying for it - if I sell the house - warranty is void.  Not sure what changes in the structure of a home when I sell it ... but the reason is clear.  It saves the company money to put as many limitations on a warranty as legally allowed.  The automotive industry is in a different spot as they are better (or shall I say more) regulated/monitored ... think lemon law as an example.  but there are plenty of other examples out there - purchased a winch to pull boat lift in - same thing - warranty only to the original buyer except 'where prohibited' ... I love this sentence :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
DarkSide
2 hours ago, thejean said:

Yes but this is what I don't understand - why is this the case? I mean, I can see if there is some sort of pre-qualification requirement to boat ownership and they put you through an interview process before you buy but I'm not aware that is the case. Why is the third owner not entitled to the same warranty privledges as the second owner when you're still within the original warranty timeframe that would apply to the first or second owner? I just can't see any solid logic for this other than:

1. A means to limit their overall warranty claims exposure 

2. Encourage people not to buy used boats

But anyway, beating a dead horse because like you said, I should never need it and it isn't like my moaning, whining and bitching is ever going to change their policy. Lol

Here is a "hypothetical" example.  You buy a new boat and get a complete LEMON!  Malibu could buy said boat back and put you in a new boat.  Now they are not going to scrap said LEMON, oh no.  That boat gets sold to a new owner....  So limiting warranty has it's reasons. 

Edited by DarkSide

Share this post


Link to post
Sailvi767
21 hours ago, thejean said:

Not sure the logic in that and frankly I feel that is crap. Can you imagine if car manufacturers tried to pull that nonsense? Clearly a tactic to pursuade people to buy new boats vs used. 

What car have you purchased with a lifetime warranty?

Share this post


Link to post
thejean
59 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

What car have you purchased with a lifetime warranty?

That's not the point. The point is that if as an organization you decide to offer a lifetime warranty to a customer (often this is a marketing gimmick anyway) then why the heck would it not remain with the vehicle, as opposed to the original owner? Why does it matter who owns the product or how many times it was resold? I would rather a 10-year fully transferrable hull warranty than a lifetime warranty that basically means nothing. And yes, I can appreciate that they will honour the warranty to the original (and in some cases, the second) owners, but what percentage of boats ever go their lifetime with so few owners? I also think this is likely a big factor in why boats depreciate so much between original purchase and second and third sale. Maybe it wouldn't be as bad if the warranty stayed with the vehicle...

Share this post


Link to post
23LSVOwner
4 minutes ago, thejean said:

That's not the point. The point is that if as an organization you decide to offer a lifetime warranty to a customer (often this is a marketing gimmick anyway) then why the heck would it not remain with the vehicle, as opposed to the original owner? Why does it matter who owns the product or how many times it was resold? I would rather a 10-year fully transferrable hull warranty than a lifetime warranty that basically means nothing. And yes, I can appreciate that they will honour the warranty to the original (and in some cases, the second) owners, but what percentage of boats ever go their lifetime with so few owners? I also think this is likely a big factor in why boats depreciate so much between original purchase and second and third sale. Maybe it wouldn't be as bad if the warranty stayed with the vehicle...

It is what it is.

 

Get out there and surf!

Share this post


Link to post
thejean
Just now, 23LSVOwner said:

It is what it is.

 

Get out there and surf!

Yep, agreed! 

Boat is actually getting some work done at the moment (not under warranty I will add as I am the third owner) but once it's fixed I'll be out there tearing it up and all of this warranty talk will be a distant memory...

??

Share this post


Link to post
Sailvi767
1 hour ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Honda dealers offer that.... I'm sure there are others

http://www.kleinhonda.com/lifetime-warranty.htm

You are purchasing a aftermarket warranty. It's not a warranty from Honda and trust me you are paying for it. It's built into the price somewhere. Note the fine print also.

Is the Nationwide Warranty transferable if I sell the vehicle?

No. The Nationwide Warranty stays with the owner as long as they own the vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...