Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 Malibu hds leak where to buy shaft log

Austin214

shaft log should be available from many places like ski-dim.com and maybe bakes.  However, that is not what an HDS box leak is. There should be no reason to need to replce your shaft log that I can think of.  HDS box is something different entirely.  Who suggested HDS leak? 

I just took the boat out last sat and took on lots of water so pulled it out of water could not see anything wrong got it back home pulled the cover off to the hds box and filled the bilge with water and could see it coming in from the back of the box. I saw on anouther post that they did away with the box and installed a shaft log...

It's not really that simple.  The shaft log I thought you were referring to, as in the rubber hose with nuts on each end in which you have packing, you have.  An HDS box leak, surprisingly, most likely doesn't mean the box is defective at all...the box is part of a larger piece of fiberglass that is glassed in the bilge.  And in fact the water actually comes up from near the pylon.  In any event, if what you're looking for is a custom fiberglass log that in essence prevent water from even getting to the HDS box, that's more of a custom deal to my knowledge.  IF you saw water coming from the back of the box into the bilge, I have not seen that, but that's not to say it's impossible, but I can't envision what you're describing because the box is fiber glassed as one rectangle but for the top, which is an easy fix if its simply a leaky cover.  Make sense?

Here's a long explanation and his fix.  But I don't know if that's necessary for you given where you say you see water leaking.:

http://www.everglass.org/shaftlog.htm

but lets start simple.  how long have you owned the boat and when did you first start noticing water in the bilge?  have you replaced or tightened your packing recently?

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I just bought it have done lots of reading and it is 110% leaking from the back of the box. Someone has tried to fix it with a cobbled mess of some type of epoxy I am going to get all of that out and repair with fiberglass but I saw the shaft log post . That's why I asked where to buy one but seems like I will have to make one myself if thats the rout I go!!

if you're saying the leak is the "bottom corner", I'd suggest you take the top off to see why it would leak from there.  HAs to be some kind of damage?  IF it's leaking from an "acute" spot, I don't see why you couldn't just repair that area.  The tricky part of fixing the traditional HDS box leak is that it's not the box leaking at all.  If yours actually is, that might be good in many ways if a fiberglass repair will reseal the box.

Okay if you fill the bilge with water Anout 2 inches up on the box. With the lid removed you can see water running in the boat from the rear of the box 

Sounds to me that "spot" just needs to be repaired though I would defer to professional advice.  Most people w HDs leak can't identify where its coming hence they have to "bypass" it.