Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hit a log and busted prop but not sure if there is other damage

We hit a submerged log or something over the weekend.  I was behind the boat at the time so didn't hear it, but they said it was a pretty big thud.  Lots of vibrating back to the ramp but made it on the trailer fine.  On inspection only one blade of the prop was bent, the others were ok.  Took a closer look at home when taking the prop off and found the following.  The shaft looks ok, prop seemed to spin normally,  and there's no play in it at least if I try to move it by hand.  I have a hard time trying to explain what made the mark above the prop unless something just got caught on the prop and happened to scratch the hull on the way around, and the damage around the strut is a little disconcerting but might just be superficial.

I guess I plan on hitting the water with a new prop just to see if it still rides okay, but just making sure that doesn't sound like a bad idea.

S6btGN8mnhivS699us133L6zWBFL6aikfNvVonGfQI1CE-3dlXIc94rOcAuKTIibaO4k0vOGXnonBGzL

That's awful.  I hit a standing timber last year swinging around to pick up a downed rider.  Luckily I was going slow and hit it sideways and had no gel coat damage.  Bent the driveshaft, strut, 5 blade prop (bent too close to the hub that it couldn't be straightened), and wedge.  All and all around $2,500 worth of damage.  In the pictures you can see that the strut/shaft is bent and the bushing in the strut is compressed on the right side.IMG_3644.JPG 

IMG_3649.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

I've hit a log before, better than hitting a rock. Bent one of the blades, bought a new prop and sent the bent one out to be rebuilt. Now I've got a spare.

I'd say try the new prop, if the shaft is bent you should feel a new vibration that wasn't there before.

Best of luck 

The alignment of the shaft and the strut looks off, and the wear on the shaft looks like it has been off for awhile.  Could be the photos, but you should check the alignment and the strut bushing

4 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

The alignment of the shaft and the strut looks off, and the wear on the shaft looks like it has been off for awhile.  Could be the photos, but you should check the alignment and the strut bushing

Those aren't the OP's pictures.