Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 23LSV Weight

borris

I weighed my boat before launching for the season.

2014 Infinity QX80- 6200 lbs with me in it

Standard Malibu tandem trailer, no spare, no bling- 1280 lbs

2016 23 LSV, stock 410, full tank of gas, 2 batteries, full factory stereo with 4 Icon 8s and factory sub/amp, heater, shower, ladder, box anchor, few other options and gear: 5640 lbs

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Fman said:

So 5,640 +1,280 = 6,920 lbs total on the trailer?

yes.  

forgot to mention i have the 3.2 tower and bimini,  not sure how the G4 measures up weight wise

8 hours ago, borris said:

2016 23 LSV, stock 410, full tank of gas, 2 batteries, full factory stereo with 4 Icon 8s and factory sub/amp, heater, shower, ladder, box anchor, few other options and gear: 5640 lbs

How does the QX80 pull? I have a 4runner right now with the 4.7 and it is a little under powered. I was thinking about looking at the QX80.

11 hours ago, borris said:

Just for curiosity,  what is the load capacity of the trailer.  This info is on the inside rail under the bow.  The boatmate used to be WAY underbuilt.  Your 2016 should have a true Malibu trailer.

I checked this morning did not see any weight ratings anywhere on the Malibu trailer.  There is a decal of some type of certification on the inside near the tongue but nothing I could see that lists the rated weight capacity.

I have the tandem Malibu trailer for our 2017 23LSV.  Trailer label shows it was built October of 2016.  Manufacture label GVWR is 7,400 pounds.  Other label showing tire information states cargo weight should not exceed 5,700 pounds.

3 hours ago, wbama387 said:

How does the QX80 pull? I have a 4runner right now with the 4.7 and it is a little under powered. I was thinking about looking at the QX80.

You pull a 7,000 pound boat with a 4Runner? My wife wanted one of those, and I had to tell her no go because it only has 5,000 pound towing capacity. 

24 minutes ago, Zita said:

I have the tandem Malibu trailer for our 2017 23LSV.  Trailer label shows it was built October of 2016.  Manufacture label GVWR is 7,400 pounds.  Other label showing tire information states cargo weight should not exceed 5,700 pounds.

So, literally right on the limit based on the OP's weight?  They sure cut the capacity margins pretty thin.  

4 hours ago, pauley71 said:

4runners were 7k towing with 4.7 v8.  Not ideal, but technically within limits. 

I don't believe any 4Runner is rated for over 5000lbs unless you have a WDH. 

12 hours ago, wbama387 said:

I have little experience with different tow rigs, but feel very comfortable with the QX80.  It is rated at 8500 lbs.  If you take a look under a QX80 it is a pretty seriously built truck, based on the Nissan Patrol in other parts of the world.  If I were to get a new one though, I would seriously look at the new Nissan Armada.  It has the same platform as the QX80 for less money and quite honestly I think better looking.  

Just now, borris said:

I have little experience with different tow rigs, but feel very comfortable with the QX80.  It is rated at 8500 lbs.  If you take a look under a QX80 it is a pretty seriously built truck, based on the Nissan Patrol in other parts of the world.  If I were to get a new one though, I would seriously look at the new Nissan Armada.  It has the same platform as the QX80 for less money and quite honestly I think better looking.  

I agree, that's what we are now looking at for our tow vehicle.

1 hour ago, wbama387 said:

Sorry I miss spoke as well. It does require a WDH for over 5000lbs and then it is rated at 7000lbs for 4wd and 7300lbs for 2wd.

In addition keep in mind that unless things have changed the factory installed hitch itself is only rated for 5000lbs.

I am curious how you got the weight of the boat without the trailer?

I scaled my 23LSV, with the trailer when I first bought it.  Actually before I bought it.  Boat with enough gas for the demo, two batteries, and tandem axle Boatmate trailer (with spare) was 6060 pounds.

I got three scale weights today.  It was time to find out the actual weight of my stuff.  Hopefully this information is of use to others.  2017 23LSV, PnP, Surfpipe, 410, 3.5 tower with two speakers, 55% fuel.  Nothing else.  No anchors, life jackets, or anything else.  Tanks empty.  Cooler empty.  Everything as it arrived from the dealer.   Tandem axle trailer with steps and spare.  Empty trailer: 1,380.  Boat on trailer: 6,840.  Boat on trailer (axles only): 6,400.  From this I know that the boat weighs 5,460 (6,840-1,380) and the tongue weight is 440 (6,840-6,400).  

• Like 2

So the Malibu list weight of 4,500 lbs must be with no stereo, batteries, fuel, board racks or any type of gear.  I am curious what mine weighs with the G4/quad PTM racks.

Anyone know if the G4 weighs more or less than the G3.5?

Edited by Fman
  • 4 years later...

I have nearly the exact same boat as borris, '16 23 LSV, tower speakers and all, lol and I'm sitting at just over 7k rolling.

Side note - I never really keep my boat in the same body of water for more than a couple weeks at a time so we are constantly trailering several hours a month. In my experience, regularly towing 7-8k lbs. is hard on a 1/2 ton truck or full size SUV. I'm NOT saying they aren't very capable, especially some of the newer ones, I'm just saying that it definitely takes it's toll when towing that frequently. 

I towed my 2015 23lsv all over this week with my Lexus LX570 (7500# capacity).  The boat was half full of gas and had surf boards, life jackets, extra large fire extinguisher,  and a mushroom anchor.  Weighed in at just over 6800 at the city scales today.  Lexus/toyota 5.7 power plant coupled with fulltime 4wd was a good combo pulling through the passes albeit I sacrificed a couple mpgs for the extra traction.  The 570 is a Lexus trimmed Toyota Landcruiser and known to be a pretty stout chassis.  The Lexus runs adjustable hydraulic suspension which worked really well with the 400+ tongue weight.  its a good choice if you are looking for luxury lines but might live rurally or just have a Toyota dealer locally, as 99% of the work on most any Lexus can be carried out by a Toyota technician.  I just saw someone recommend the infinity and thought I would mention the LC200 Landcruiser's and LX570's.  There are a lot of them out there since they have been around since 2007.  

Edited by PNWoke