Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any of you guys use a Freeride/Crossover type ski?

sunvalleylaw

Was thinking of getting one for the boat, and for other family members that like to go out on the water and ski around, but are not "into it" to use.  And also for me and others to use to goof around at slower speeds, jumping wakes and trying to pull off goofy tricks, when the water is not great.  Was looking at the HO Freeride, the HO TX, and the Radar Katana primarily.  Anyone do this?  Recommendations?

For standard "Combo 2 skis" the boot size and length are more important than brand.  Crossover between 64" and 68" is about 140 lbs. so you might need to get both if you have kids and adults.

We have some old O'Brien combos.  Was thinking more specifically of the skis that you freeride with out on the open water, including jumping wakes, trying some tricks, etc.  at lower speeds.  The 67" goes from 130lbs to 190 and would cover almost anyone that would ride with us, is easy to get up on reportedly, and can be ridden at lower speeds. .  and has an open toed binding that goes on like a tennis shoe.  The Radar Katana is similar, but perhaps a little more aggressive.  

Here is Tony Klarich killing it on an HO Freeride. But then again, he can ski in a cooler.  

9 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

Tony Klarich is pretty much the hot dog king.  

Yah, not saying I could ever do a 10th of what he does, but I bet it would be fun to try a few tricks, and it would be easier on one of those types of skis, and less painful at slow speed, than on my tournament slalom ski.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw

Yeah, and kinda like how I use my Head Monster 98's out in the big terrain (or next year's Kore, which is really cool) rather than my iSpeeds. ;)

Edited by sunvalleylaw

i have a Radar P6 and love it - i have a 69 and I can ski it at 200+ and my son at 130 skied it no problem too.   I would say a 69" Katana would cover just about everyone.  Love the radar Vector boot and RTP.

if you want to go really slow I think the HO Freeride is even bigger surface area.

I have skied a buddy's Radar Katana. Not sure I would characterize it as free-ride style, conducive to tricks. More like a wide ride series ski that can be skied somewhat aggressive as long as speeds are kept below 32mph.

• Like 1