Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wicked Wake Surf system

HotSpringsLakeLife

I just ordered the Wicked Wake Surf system for my 04 Wakesetter VLX, I've heard nothing but great things about them and I cant wait to put it on and go surfing. If anyone else is considering getting one of these I'd suggest doing so quickly, their winter sale is still active. Use the Promo code "winter bogo" and you'll get the complete set for the price of just one side. I'll be posting vids and pics shortly after receiving and installing it. 

Edited by HotSpringsLakeLife
Spelling error
  • Like 1

Would be interested to see a comparison of someones suck gate vs this swim deck mounted one.

There is nothing that can get me to upgrade from my $30 suck gate build to something 10x more expensive that seems to accomplish the same thing, but my curious george side still wants to know how they compare.

• Like 1

Also, what are you gonna run for weight? I have the same boat and just started using a surf device. Starting the dialing in process again.

I never said I knew it was awesome, I said I had heard awesome things on here about it from other people who have bought it. That's why I decided to buy it. After looking at several options this one became the clear leader to try, I'm not interested in sticking velcro on the side of my boat permanently or paying $600 for a foam wedge but I was prepared to pay the full price for for the double set ($550 I believe) as I thought it was a fair price because it looks like a quality built piece. The dude who is apparently the owner answered my email and called me back to answer some questions he told me about the promo code and said it expired at the end of April. I was just passing along the info in case anyone with an older boat like I have that doesn't have a factory installed surf gate system on it wanted something similar without paying an arm and a leg for one.....I believe I paid a total of $330 for both sides with taxes and shipping. I have never used this system so I cant say yet how awesome it is but several people on here have said it was well worth the money and I thought it was worth giving it a try, esp at 50% off. 

AJ, I will probably just run the stock ballasts I have in my boat, I'm not looking for the biggest wave on the planet, just one my 12 year old and his friends can ride on. Do you have any info or pics of your $30 build? I'd love to see them, I thought about attempting to buy some material and make one but I'm just so damn busy, I just thought I'd rather buy one and slap it on and ride and this Wicked Wake on seemed like it mimicked the factory style ones I have seen. When I started looking at all the different options out here I figured the factory R&D guys did their home work, if something like foam wedges velcro'd to the side of the hull worked the best i'm sure they'd have sold them with the boats. :)  

I'm a little new here, someone tell me how to upload an image and I'll show Frank my receipt :lol:

I am not sure what a suction gate is, but to me the WW one seemed to mimic the factory style ones that come on the newer boats without the thousands of dollars of expense of buying one (I looked at those as well, cheapest one I found was $3999)  This thing cost me just north of $300 with shipping, the Mission Delta suction cup ones are $400 plus shipping. so I guess it came down to design and other peoples opinions who have tried them.    

Very Interesting. I may have attempted making one had I seen it before I ordered mine, you for sure can't beat the price of a homemade one. I considered buying the Mission one as well as the WW one and that Ronix wake shaper, they all had good reviews but I liked the design on the WW one the best. I will def let you guys know how we like it once it gets here.  

Edited by HotSpringsLakeLife
Spelling

I don't have a pic handy right now and it's in storage for another week or so. Basically take a suction handle used to hold glass and attach an angle to it. You can search the form for suck gate and see all the threads. Some really long ones with ppl making multiple with different dimensions to see what's best. And No Velcro on the side of your boat! Can't beat cheap home made... But I can see why 300 is worth the price if you aren't able to make your own. 

When using a suck gate, it's commonly believed that mounting it further back is better. If you can imagine the side of a boat and suction cups... You can imagine the limit of how far. With your system the WW you mount it on the platform. It's further back even. Wonder if this gives you an advantage at all. 

3 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

I don't have a pic handy right now and it's in storage for another week or so. Basically take a suction handle used to hold glass and attach an angle to it. You can search the form for suck gate and see all the threads. Some really long ones with ppl making multiple with different dimensions to see what's best. And No Velcro on the side of your boat! Can't beat cheap home made... But I can see why 300 is worth the price if you aren't able to make your own. 

When using a suck gate, it's commonly believed that mounting it further back is better. If you can imagine the side of a boat and suction cups... You can imagine the limit of how far. With your system the WW you mount it on the platform. It's further back even. Wonder if this gives you an advantage at all. 

This is what I've found with my suck-gate too.  So I decided to construct another one.  It's paddle is about twice as long as a typical one (~25") mounted at about half the angle, with half of the paddle extending past the rear suction cup ( going beyond the transom).  This places it closer to where Malibu mounts their surf gate. I've tried it a couple times, so far it works well.  Haven't done back to back testing with the old one though. 

• Like 1

Performance wise they are fine. I made one with some spare wood when my suction gate broke one weekend. But the downsides were too many for me. Like their size, the straps and holders, the to me it takes to install and remove, etc. 

the posters above are 100% correct though, the further back the better (I once had to increase my paddle size for a fully loaded boat). And if you can't use a suck gate it makes total sense. However if you can use a suck gate the advantages are many. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

Performance wise they are fine. I made one with some spare wood when my suction gate broke one weekend. But the downsides were too many for me. Like their size, the straps and holders, the to me it takes to install and remove, etc. 

the posters above are 100% correct though, the further back the better (I once had to increase my paddle size for a fully loaded boat). And if you can't use a suck gate it makes total sense. However if you can use a suck gate the advantages are many. 

They are definitely big!  If they work like I think they will, I am going to add some kind of modified clamp system to do away with the straps.  Probably drill a hole thru the teak and the gate and have a pin that slides down, or some kind of clamp thing.

• Like 2

What's the consensus on the suck gate sizing? Is bigger better? Taller/wider? I am still on sg MK1 for my dad's boat but have materials for MK2.

I modified my wicked wake to fit on my tower racks. I also ditched the turnbuckles and just use a ratchet strap from D ring to D ring running through the two big holes in one and out the other. One strap holds it to the platform and tight to the back of the boat. Works great but steering is a b****.

That is the other thing to look at comparing both. WW is behind the rudder, so it has a lot more leverage to steer your boat where IT wants. Suck gates are more in line or in front of the rudder... probably not that far tho...depends on mounting. Anyways my suck doesnt affect my steering much at all. I love it. 

Oh, more things to compare. I forgot my gate on once. Took off and it slid right off and floated till I picked it up. If its mounted solid to your platform I can see some forces pushing and potentially causing harm.

I would think it would make it harder to turn the boat away from the side the paddle is mounted on but not toward the side it's mounted, or does it make it hard to turn either direction? Are the same steering issues present with the factory surf gate systems?

The factory surf gate can retract while you are not pulling a rider.  Doing so makes it steer like normal.  The suck gates and the swim step mounted ones stay out while you are driving back to your surfer.  As stated above, the suck gate doesn't affect as much because if is forward of the rudder.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, HotSpringsLakeLife said:

I would think it would make it harder to turn the boat away from the side the paddle is mounted on but not toward the side it's mounted, or does it make it hard to turn either direction? Are the same steering issues present with the factory surf gate systems?

you are correct, turning toward the side it's mounted on is fine. That's not much consolation when the wind is blowing you around and you really need to turn left but can't.

• Like 1

Riding regular I have to pick my rider up on the port side swinging the back of the boat to the rider because it only turns right. not the way I would like to do it. Next winter will I will probably drop coin for go surf assist and be done.  

• Like 2