Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 23LSV - stock ballast

Monkeybutt

yesterday finally the first day to actually play with the boat and not just putting hours on it (not that I would have waited much longer anyway but felt that after 4 hours nothing broken - see other threads) let's see what else is working ... or not.

IMG_42431_zpskgjgmjha.jpg

well - seriously disappointing - skim surfboard - barely 10 feet behind the boat - 0 and I mean ZERO push.  Setup was all stock ballast full - no pnp - wedge in the lowest position to get the bow up - 2 people in the boat.  If bow wasn't up - there was no push.  Tried listing it by emptying the opposite tank but that didn't help.  Didn't empty front ballast but could try that sometime this week.  Glad I prefer to wakeboard but this was disappointing.  I have already ordered the PNP ballast from wakemakers but haven't plumbed it in yet.  So what did I do wrong if anything?  Will the PNP fix all that?

Edited by Monkeybutt
title correction
  • Like 1

Looks like your boat speed was a little too slow from that picture. You said the Wedge was all the way down, but I assume you mean all the way up; which is where it will generate the most downforce (and also where the bow will be the highest).

Otherwise, that's actually a very respectable wave for stock ballast. Increasing capacity at the rear of the boat is going to transform the performance, so give it another go once you get your bags installed. There's nothing else you can do except for increase the displacement of the hull.

• Like 1

we were going with the factory default setup of 10.6mph first - but slowing down brought the nose further up.  Correct - still gotta get used to wedge position - sorry.

well that's the sad part - the pic looks good but the wave was poor.  My previous Epic had a better wave evenly listed with the gates installed and it would have been lighter than the Malibu being fully loaded.  I'm absolutely aware that displacement is everything ... but the wave was bad - there's nothing to sugarcoat.

Sorry, I was trying to be funny.   How much ballast is stock?  Looks pretty pinner for a 6 digit wave, I'd be bummed.   But the good news is that your living comfortably, lol.  I'm sure it will be a monster wave once it's ballasted appropriately. I look forward to seeing the wave in your next pics.

ahopkins22LSV

Plug and play will help tremendously. What size bags did your order?

Keep in mind you are going to havebow rise when surfing. And depending on the pnp bags you ordered you may need to add bow weight. The 23 likes bow weight.

Also, when you say wedge at lowest position, do you mean at the "ramp" setting?

@IXFE can probably step in with more details. He has had the 23 the past few years and dialed it in nicely. 

15 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

yesterday finally the first day to actually play with the boat and not just putting hours on it (not that I would have waited much longer anyway but felt that after 4 hours nothing broken - see other threads) let's see what else is working ... or not.

IMG_42431_zpskgjgmjha.jpg

well - seriously disappointing - skim surfboard - barely 10 feet behind the boat - 0 and I mean ZERO push.  Setup was all stock ballast full - no pnp - wedge in the lowest position to get the bow up - 2 people in the boat.  If bow wasn't up - there was no push.  Tried listing it by emptying the opposite tank but that didn't help.  Didn't empty front ballast but could try that sometime this week.  Glad I prefer to wakeboard but this was disappointing.  I have already ordered the PNP ballast from wakemakers but haven't plumbed it in yet.  So what did I do wrong if anything?  Will the PNP fix all that?

How big are the PNP sacks you bought?  Keep in mind that stock ballast without sacks is only like 12-1300lbs.  That will be hard to surf any boat.  If you want to weight it down right, that thing will be a surf and wake monster. 

• Like 2

Epic 23V: 3,900lbs (dry weight) + 4,000lbs (ballast) = 7,900lbs

23 LSV: 4,500lbs (dry weight) + 1,250lbs (ballast) = 5,750lbs

The Wedge won't make the full rated force at this low of a speed, but even if you give it 1,500lbs thats 7,250lbs total, so less than the Epic. Other than a G Series boat, I haven't been in one that has a good wave with stock ballast. Again, I think bumping the speed up would have given you better density and more push, but that's hard to determine from a picture.

Regardless, unless you need the boat to perform with just stock ballast, it probably doesn't matter because you're already planning on running PnP ballast.

8 minutes ago, Shastasurf said:

Sorry, I was trying to be funny.   How much ballast is stock?  Looks pretty pinner for a 6 digit wave, I'd be bummed.   But the good news is that your living comfortably, lol.  I'm sure it will be a monster wave once it's ballasted appropriately. I look forward to seeing the wave in your next pics.

LOL - didn't get the joke - sorry but that's how it felt yesterday :rofl: and yes - for 6 digits it should be a tsunami ...  I hope you'll be right

11 minutes ago, t a said:

How big are the PNP sacks you bought?  Keep in mind that stock ballast without sacks is only like 12-1300lbs.  That will be hard to surf any boat.  If you want to weight it down right, that thing will be a surf and wake monster. 

So I thought the 23LSV had more ballast built in in the 4 tanks than just 1250 but I guess I got that wrong.  I ordered the bigger PNP ones so that will be our next try sometime this week.  to be honest - adding more ballast and dicking around with pumps will prolly make me sell this boat ...

I had 750's in the rear of a 2016 23lsv, but on my 2017 23lsv I have the 1100's and that makes a big difference. Put as much weight in the rear and the bow as you can and the wave should be respectable. My 11 year old son surfs regular and the wave is pretty big even without the wedge. I surf goofy and my wave gets pretty large as well. With weight in the bow, the boat doesn't raise as much, so my only complaint would be the lack of length.

2 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

LOL - didn't get the joke - sorry but that's how it felt yesterday :rofl: and yes - for 6 digits it should be a tsunami ...  I hope you'll be right

So I thought the 23LSV had more ballast built in in the 4 tanks than just 1250 but I guess I got that wrong.  I ordered the bigger PNP ones so that will be our next try sometime this week.  to be honest - adding more ballast and dicking around with pumps will prolly make me sell this boat ...

Once the PNP bags are in the only thing to really mess with is the bow bag.  As stated before, if you don't want to mess with any bags you are probably looking at the G, the M?, or a Centurion.  And I know at least 2 of those 3 come at a heavy premium to the 23 LSV.  

For all but the biggest wave snobs, the LSV can certainly get it done.  

3D899562-5BA8-45EA-98A8-9D86F7B1C6EC_zps

ahopkins22LSV
12 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

Plug and play is pre plumbed and the bags just attach to the hoses that are already there. And the fill/drain with your hard tank pumps. If you don't want a bow bag you can try adding lead up there. Now sure how much you could stow though.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
3 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

For a guy who just spent 6 figures on a boat you sure don't sound like you did any research. 

if you had you'd have found this rather easily...

Or this...

Or this...

Or this...

Or at least a dozen others!  

Regarding the wakeboard wake, full hard tank ballast, 23 mph, wedge 3 clicks up will give you a damn respectable wakeboard wake.  I tow some very advanced riders and they all love this setup.  It's super clean with a nice transition.

Shame on your dealer for not ordering your boat with PnP???? A good surf wave can't be achieved without the extra weight.   Even if you just add factory bags to each locker and have a couple people sit in the bow you will be amazed how much better the surf wave will be from just using factory hard tanks.  The wakemaker bags are great but keep in mind if you fill them all the way you will need extra bow weight.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, IXFE said:

I should have also mentioned... 

Ignore factory presets. Go with 11mph - 11.5mph 

set the wedge according to preference (further down = longer but not as tall)

One of the best pieces of advice imo. Better to dial it in my rider feedback then trying to make the preset work. 

'17 23LSV. Yesterday's 1st session. No tweaking yet. Factory ballast, Wakemakers Max Capacity rear PnP bags, 650 Sumo bag in the walkway. Factory preset for Surf Left.

IMG_8024.JPG

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

Ride before you buy.