Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Goodyear Endurance Tires?

RyanB

Anyone have experience with the new Goodyear Endurance tires?

I noticed Friday that I have one of the OEM no-name tires where the tread looks to be separating.  It was on the rider side front axle.  After I switched that one out, I noticed the tire on the other side looks like it might be bad too.  I'd rather spend $150ish/tire than change them out on the side of the road with other cars whizzing by, so I think I am going to upgrade all the tires.

The Endurance is a Load Range D vs the C that came on my trailer.  Also have a speed rating near 90 MPH, which would be a nice upgrade from the 65 I have now.  I'd consider upgrading to something else, but I don't want to buy new wheels as well.

So, thoughts on Endurance?  Will probably pull the trigger on Tuesday.  1000 mile round-trip tow coming up later this week.

http://www.discounttire.com/tires/trailer-catalog?q=%3Aprice-asc%3Abrands%3Abrand-GDY&text=&brand-GDY=on#

Edited by RyanB

Never heard of them - looks like they just came out at the end of Jan.  Be nice to have some more easily available options, I tend to use the Kenda Loadstars on all my trailers but have to get them from eTrailer in the D range.

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/media/news/goodyear_launches_american_manufactured_trailer_tire.html

Hard to justify spending twice as much on this tire than some of the others available, but the extra load range and higher speed rating are very tempting. 

I trailer a lot and am leaning towards giving them a shot. I hope they are better than Marathons. I have had terrible luck with those....

Well, about $600 later, I have 4 new Endurance tires.  I really liked the guy at Discount where I bought him - his words were basically, "all trailer tires suck, but these will suck less".  Which is about exactly how I feel about trailer tires.  I've never had good luck with trailer tires - usually last around 4 season.  But these OEM tires were really bad - two years before the tread started separating.  That is way too soon.

So, we will see how they do.  Leave tomorrow for a weekend trip to Powell.  Around 1000 miles round trip.  And for various reasons, the diesel is staying home and we are taking the Yukon (which has been less table than I would like when towing).  

If anyone is reading this, I will report back next week.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, RyanB said:

Well, about $600 later, I have 4 new Endurance tires.  I really liked the guy at Discount where I bought him - his words were basically, "all trailer tires suck, but these will suck less".  Which is about exactly how I feel about trailer tires.  I've never had good luck with trailer tires - usually last around 4 season.  But these OEM tires were really bad - two years before the tread started separating.  That is way too soon.

So, we will see how they do.  Leave tomorrow for a weekend trip to Powell.  Around 1000 miles round trip.  And for various reasons, the diesel is staying home and we are taking the Yukon (which has been less table than I would like when towing).  

If anyone is reading this, I will report back next week.

Please do, always good to have some quality feedback for trailer tires. 

8 hours ago, RyanB said:

I've never had good luck with trailer tires - usually last around 4 season.

I have had several tire guys tell me 3-5 years is really all they are good for.  Both time and heat are hard on trailer tires; so is just having the rig sit on them in one place not moving.  

2 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I have had several tire guys tell me 3-5 years is really all they are good for.  Both time and heat are hard on trailer tires; so is just having the rig sit on them in one place not moving.  

I have heard the same so I replace every 3 years. At approx. $400 per set, I view it as cheap peace of mind.

• 2 months later...

Carlisle self destructed after 6 years (I know, too long...) at about 65 MPH. Everyone safe, pulled off the road and changed to the spare. Spare blew the valve stem on the way to the tire shop.

Decided to try the Goodyear Endurance. I feel like stepping up to the D load will be good as we generally take several extended road/boat trips each year. Can't really complain about the Carlisle's, 6 years of perfect service on C loads. 

Edited by Sride

I'm buying tires this week.  Trying To decide between the endurance and the marathons. Sounds like you are giving the thumbs up on endurance.  Have you or anyone had had any experience with marathons?

• Like 1

When I bought the vride I did a swap to aluminum I-beam and it came with 205/75R14. I couldn't find a marathon in a D load rating for that size. The Endurance edged out the Carslile and Greenball for the speed ratings in the D category, supporting up to 87 mph. I am on a made in the USA kick again. I want to buy American made tires, and with the current rebates they are not all that more expensive for the capabilities. Will report back on reliability.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any feedback on these Endurance tires yet? Looking to replace my original tires.

Edit: bought 5 for $750. Ouch

Edited by lonestar