Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower impact

ChainSetter

Bonehead move on my part tonight. The water was up and I hit a bridge we can normally get under easy. I was at no wake speed but it stopped the boat. The damage wasn't too bad basically scratches in the tower. I couldn't see any stress cracks or anything.  It's a g3.2.

Anyone think I did any serious damage? Any thing I should check for?

I would be more concerned about the gunwale and gel.  Any spider or stress cracks in the gel at base of the tower?  I would think if your tower looks straight and nothing is bent your probably good to go.

Edited by Fman

When comparing the left and right tower to tower base gaps and you have an dissimilar gap between the tower bases and the bottom of the 3" tower tubes where they rest above the base then potentially, the internal heim joint(s) that the tower pivots on might be bent. It was kind of a PITA to get them lined up, but otherwise a simple job to replace. I went with a local part supplier for the replacement heim joint. My tower was lowered when it made contact with the garage header so the gap was increased on the back side of the tube and was making contact on the leading edge of the tube when the tower was raised. Because your tower was raised if there was any damage I would think it would be opposite of mine.

Edited by wdr

That's a lot of mass to stop instantly. There are backing plates up under the gunwale, see if any are bent or the bolts pulled deep. That will tell you if the fiberglass flexed much.

I can't see any damage other than scratches (and my tower anodization is flaking off everywhere anyway before the impact)

it folds down right

19 minutes ago, ChainSetter said:

I can't see any damage other than scratches (and my tower anodization is flaking off everywhere anyway before the impact)

it folds down right

That is great news...you must be living right... reminds when I pulled out of my old garage with the ski locket hatch open and it caught on the garage door threshold.  Holy crudoly that was a terrible sound.  I was also fortunate and it did no damage.