Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Daily/Company Vehicle/Tow Rig

mrnate450r

I am tossing around ideas for my next truck. I will likely start shopping seriously towards the end of this year. I'm in outside sales, and drive a lot of miles. I usually drive between 3-4k per month. Keeping ahead of depreciation is always a challenge. I don't pay cash because I get a monthly allowance plus mileage on top of that.   My current truck(yes, it's an F150) has just over 131k, and will have around 150k by the end of the year. I have thought about going 3/4 ton diesel with the hopes of being able to keep a vehicle for 300k without breaking a sweat. I'm not saying my F150 Ecoboost won't go that long, but how much would I spend trying to get it there? My current truck hasn't had any major problems to date(knock on wood). I've replaced the IWE's, that's it. So, does a 3/4 ton make sense to daily drive that many miles in the hopes that I could keep it 8-9 years before breaking 300k? Or, do I keep driving a half ton for 4-5 years and getting rid of it between 150-200k? I'm looking for suggestions! 

Do you NEED a truck for work?

Does work pay the same allowance and miles no matter what the vehicle is?

Have you run the math if you were to have a car for work and a separate tow vehicle?

You didn't really specify how you are actually going to use it and why you need the heavy duty. 

There are only 2 reasons for me to want a heavy duty. 1 being if you're driving down a lot of dirt logging roads, the halfton trucks just can't take the constant abuse. 2, If you're towing heavy loads, as in heavier than the average Malibu you will greatly appreciate it.

If I was in your situation and just needed a boat puller/daily driver I wouldn't consider a HD. The only reason might be for value. 

No, I don't need a truck for work. I haven't sat down and put a pencil to it, but paying insurance, tags and taxes, and maintenance on a dedicated tow rig hasn't panned out in my mind. I'm guessing we would be looking at $2-3k a year for all of those.  Plus, having an extra vehicle at the house isn't ideal.  I get reimbursed the same no matter what I drive. I do prefer to drive a truck. No reason for HD other than value and durability. Durability the major factor.  I don't typically tow anything for work. Just highway miles mostly. Half ton diesel would suffice, I just don't like the current offerings there. 

Forgot to mention this but if you're looking at going heavy duty I would recommend stepping up to a 1ton. The insurance is ALOT cheaper, mainly because it is classified as a work truck instead of a sport truck. 

I think any 150/1500 would likely get you to 300,000 without much more cost than a Heavy Duty.

What boat do you have?  Driving that many miles I would look at either a RAM EcoDiesel, or maybe a Canyon/Colorado diesel (if it would handle your boat).

• Like 2

Keep the truck and buy a cheap hybrid. With how many miles you drive, a 3rd vehicle makes sense. A diesel will kill you in oil changes, cost of tires, and def to name a few. Plus when you get 40+ mpg, your mileage reimbursement will work heavily in your favor. The depreciation is a huge factor too. Would you rather throw away 5-7k every 4 or 5 years in the form of a 10 year old Prius or 20k+ from a truck you put 200k miles on? I was only driving 2k miles a month when I made the switch and I save about $3k a year after added expenses (insurance, registration, etc). 

Do you get paid mileage or just have a company fuel card? In my experience that will make the difference between having a 2nd vehicle worth it. 

I am currently boatless. We were hoping to have another one this spring, but we just aren't quite there yet. We will for sure have one next season. Likely a 22 VLX or 23 LSV. I get .25 a mile up to 1500 miles and .35 a mile over 1500 per month plus a flat amount on top of that. I may explore this 2nd car idea. 

IMHO the "diesel goes a zillion miles" thing is a bit of a myth.  You'lll buy tires more frequently because of the heavier engine and every other part of the truck will wear just as quickly as it's gasser brethren.  Sure, the engine will go half a million miles, but it's not like the entire vehicle will be maintenance free getting there.  I can't imagine buying one to use like a car.

If I were doing those kinda miles, I'd have a beater gas tow rig in the driveway for when I needed it and something that sips fuel for work.  Especially if you are doing 50k a year... holy cow man I'd want something pleasant to drive that will chew up and spit out big highway miles.  

Now that being said, you're probably right about resale.  But if you got something like a lexus 300h that was already kinda high miles but a few years old, you could probably buy for under 20k and sell for 10 even with 250k on it.  And save a poop ton in fuel and maintenance costs along the way.

Of if you want a truck, GASP!, the full size 1500 rams with the gasser v6 get real good mileage and are dirt cheap to get into (probably less than half of what a ford of GM 3/4 ton diesel will cost).  HP is decent enough for everyday use but prolly wouldn't be a great tow rig.

300k miles is nothing for a gas 1500 or 150 these days unless a lot of bad things happen to it along the way. Especially for highway miles you could even go 400k if you take really good care of it. Most people start getting scared and trade around the 200k mark probably because of past experiences back when vehicles weren't built as good. 

Now with a diesel you have to deal with filling DEF and all the problems that can come with emission controls. 

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

If I were doing those kinda miles, I'd have a beater gas tow rig in the driveway for when I needed it and something that sips fuel for work.  Especially if you are doing 50k a year... holy cow man I'd want something pleasant to drive that will chew up and spit out big highway miles.  

I tried going this route at first and it would probably work if you had a slip or lived on the lake. However, we tow a lot and having a "beater" tow rig always made me nervous when we towed long distances for vacation. Especially with young kids. I opted to go the nice tow rig route and cheap hybrid for a daily driver. Gave me peace of mind when towing 5-6 hours and I'm not losing much to depreciation on the daily driver. 

• Like 3

It isn't always about how the deal pencils, unless that's all that matters to you.  You might pay a bit more over the short and long term, but the upside is you get to drive a Duramax, and tow pretty much anything you want, when you want, without white knuckles.  Test drive one and see for yourself.  

The big diesels also hold the value better than the gasser equivalents.  In fairness I have not put near the miles on you do.  I am 15-18k per year.   The last 2 trucks I have done very well on resale with.  Before those it was 1/2 tons and they take a beating at resale.   

The new 2500 Rams have coil springs in all 4 corners and ride fairly well.   Just a thought.   It is also true, that tires do not last as long, DEF is not too bad of an expense.  Mileage is decent not great,  I am getting 17 on the highway with my 3500, empty, pulling the lake limo it's around 11.  

A second car for highway commuting would likely be the best solution financially though.   

• Like 3

I just bought a 13 ram diesel....love it...it was 37k with 34000 miles on it.  am getting about 18-19 mpg on a 2hr trip to lake. when pricing them up the rams were about 5k less than Duramax.  I don't think ford makes a diesel....am a GM guy except diesels

ahopkins22LSV
56 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

I just bought a 13 ram diesel....love it...it was 37k with 34000 miles on it.  am getting about 18-19 mpg on a 2hr trip to lake. when pricing them up the rams were about 5k less than Duramax.  I don't think ford makes a diesel....am a GM guy except diesels

Um, are you talking in the 1/2 ton class? Ford most definitely makes a diesel for their 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Ram is currently the only 1/2 truck with a diesel option. That will be changing in the near future though.

40 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Um, are you talking in the 1/2 ton class? Ford most definitely makes a diesel for their 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Ram is currently the only 1/2 truck with a diesel option. That will be changing in the near future though.

I don't think the EcoDiesel was available before 2014.  And the EcoDiesel is not currently available - and won't be until FCA gets things worked out with the EPA.

Buy a Duramax and then delete it and you now have a truck that runs great, doesn't smoke (unless you turn it to hottest tune), gets around 20 mpg and will blow doors off any 1/2 ton out there. My brother bought my 2010 that has over 300k miles and my 2015 just hit 90k. Both still run like new and are deleted.

actually I have a 2500 Ram diesel 370hp 800ftlbs.  I was just poking the bear with a stick about the ford diesels.  I thought we were all talking about 3/4 ton trucks.

MLBurns I am researching deleting mine.

I like the Cummins also, just don't the way they smoke when deleted. Probably the main reason I stay with the Duramax, Ford and Ram smoke quite a bit when deleted and pulling heavy loads. A friend that has a deleted Cummins was stopped not too long ago by a state trooper for excessive smoke while pulling his camper. Won't be long before they really crack down on diesels for emissions removal.

Edited by MLBurns

I would prolly tow on low tune since stock tows 12000 efortlessly..and use the high performance modes for just driving around. I don't like rolling smoke at people behind you.  a sure way to spark roadrage .