Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another touchscreen with problems - options (no trailer)?

67King

Went to take the boat out yesterday for teh first time this season.  Batteries were turned off, #1 was a little low (11.8V), but with both on, I had a little over 12 Volts.  The touchscreen number pad didn't work, so I had to use the key to start it.  And as soon as I did I was running at 14.5V (so I assume it isn't the alternator as it was with another member here).  But the pad stil didn't work.  It kept just randomly entering numbers, itself.  I somehow managed to get it on the control screen, and again it was randomly triggering things.  So my anchor, navigation, and tower lights were all just randomly going on and off, and both the front and rear bilge were coming on, too (the "auto bilge" warning came on or flashed on a couple of itmes, as well, but the bilge had very little water in it).

SO I'm under warranty.......but the problem with that is that I don't have a trailer.  So are there any other options I can try?  If not, any ideas on how to find a trailer to borrow (anyone in Knoxville have one I could borrow - maybe I should call up the factory, I'm 15 minutes from there!)?  Might be able to try to borrow one from my dealer, but they are already over an hour away, so that makes for a long day and many unnecessary trips.  Good news is that my dealer is fantastic.

I had 3 screen failures on my 2015 lsv and I sent the dealer videos of the failed screen and dealer replaced 2 of the 3 on my lift.  Worth a try to get them to do it. 

Edited by potterm

How about just charging your batteries to start....no bueno with low voltage.  These new boats/touch screens like healthy batteries.  Also prob a good idea to invest in a pro mariner charger so you keep them fully charged over winter layup.

34 minutes ago, Fman said:

How about just charging your batteries to start....no bueno with low voltage.  These new boats/touch screens like healthy batteries.  Also prob a good idea to invest in a pro mariner charger so you keep them fully charged over winter layup.

I had assumed that was probably it, as when I first powered up, it took input, but not properly.  Some numbers wouldn't work, and others would enter a different number.  But that was it.  When I got it running, and was registering 14.5 volts, it went haywire.  Maybe it just needed to reboot.  Boat has almost 70 hours, it looks like most folks with issues had infant mortality.  I'd expect to be past that.

Have a trickle charger for the race car, but since the batteries are completely isolated, I didn't think I'd need one for just a few months.  But it appears I may.  I may also want to relocate one, as my boat is definitly port side heavy, but that's another discussion for another day.

37 minutes ago, 67King said:

I had assumed that was probably it, as when I first powered up, it took input, but not properly.  Some numbers wouldn't work, and others would enter a different number.  But that was it.  When I got it running, and was registering 14.5 volts, it went haywire.  Maybe it just needed to reboot.  Boat has almost 70 hours, it looks like most folks with issues had infant mortality.  I'd expect to be past that.

Have a trickle charger for the race car, but since the batteries are completely isolated, I didn't think I'd need one for just a few months.  But it appears I may.  I may also want to relocate one, as my boat is definitly port side heavy, but that's another discussion for another day.

My 22 VLX had the screen go wonky at about 50 hours. Itd been perfect. Then the edges didn't work. Then the music inputs randomly would cycle and turn off. Then finally it just started doing everything random. 

A new screen I changed out myself fixed it.

4 hours ago, 67King said:

Did you have any issues with the screen last season prior to this launch?

I don't have touchscreen but just over two hours from my dealer. I was very happy to do the work on warranty issues so my dealer shipped me parts I installed and sent the problem parts back to him.  Plus I trusted the tech and he got it done on time and first time! :biggrin:

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Fman said:

Did you have any issues with the screen last season prior to this launch?

No.  New as of first time out this season.  I'll probably head back there and put on my Battery Tender today and then retest after it has been on there for a while.  Hoping that is it.

10 hours ago, 67King said:

No.  New as of first time out this season.  I'll probably head back there and put on my Battery Tender today and then retest after it has been on there for a while.  Hoping that is it.

I'm also curious is your boat stored indoors?  What temperature does it get where it is stored over the winter?

6 hours ago, Deven said:

This is the very reason I now remove that touchscreen at the end of every season and store it in the house.

After reading about a dozen threads on here about screens failing (and the insinuation that they can't be kept in the cold) I am very glad my boat is 100% manual. Where are people going to find these screens in 15-20 years? What happened to the lifetime boat.

At least with the echelons and the computrons you could run the boat without them.

• Like 2

Dealer is a good hour away.  Not sure how that works with warranty, I'm inclined to guess I would need to get it to them.  I'll ask if getting the batteries fully charged doesn't do the tric.

Boat is not enclosed, it is on a dock with a roof, but it typically doesn't get very cold here......it certainly got a lot colder in my garage when I lived in Ann Arbor than it does outside here.  The two winters before this one were abnormally cold, but it was fine all last year.

I'd honestly rather have more manual stuff, too.  I really liked the old V-Ride.  Malibu fit and finish without the gadgetry.  But we wanted the Malibu fit and finishe when we upgraded (from an A22).

7 minutes ago, 67King said:

Dealer is a good hour away.  Not sure how that works with warranty, I'm inclined to guess I would need to get it to them.  I'll ask if getting the batteries fully charged doesn't do the tric.

Boat is not enclosed, it is on a dock with a roof, but it typically doesn't get very cold here......it certainly got a lot colder in my garage when I lived in Ann Arbor than it does outside here.  The two winters before this one were abnormally cold, but it was fine all last year.

I'd honestly rather have more manual stuff, too.  I really liked the old V-Ride.  Malibu fit and finish without the gadgetry.  But we wanted the Malibu fit and finishe when we upgraded (from an A22).

What temp do you consider not cold?  Where I live it rarely ever hits freezing and my boat is stored in an insulated garage.  I would consider this not a cold environment.

1 hour ago, 67King said:

Depends on the dealer. You might be able to get the part shipped to you or have the dealer come to you if it's only an hour. Did you buy from that dealer?

3 hours ago, IXFE said:

There's a name for that... it's called MB Sports. 

Great boat!  Just don't expect them to warranty it

I hear this isn't as much an issue anymore. Dustin no longer handles that side of the biz

But that was just one source I talked to so icbw

Edited by bamaboy
  • 1 month later...

Update.  This is a known issue.  Called my dealer, they had me take a picture of the stickerr with the build date and SN of the Viper display to show what it was doing.  There was a run of them that is known to be faultyy.  If mine falls into that line, they'll get me a new one right away.

It is not behaving quite as poorly as it was.  It now just doesn't respond to touch of any kind.  Will occasionally scroll between teh control screen and the map screen, but doesn't go nuts like it was last month.

I just had the exact same thing happen on my first start up this spring. My dealer is about 45 minutes away. I sent him a video and he said I needed a new screen. He told me how to take out the old one, so I popped it out, picked up a replacement from him, and installed the new one. Very simple and obviously fixed the issue. 

• Like 2