Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 first day on the water

spikew919

Love the boat, big and beautiful, run perfect for first 15 minutes, then the smoke from engine bay, and of course water pump  bearings chirping and seal gone out and antifreeze spraying everywhere. Now the bonus round question is. Will indmar take blame or with they say malibu did not properly fill system?? ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Edited by spikew919

I liked this only because I wanted to acknowledge it.

I'm very sorry to hear your first day wasn't a good one. I hope the problem is a small one and everyone steps in to make it right and let you enjoy that beautiful beast.

I'm surprised that the title didn't say Epic fail :lol: hope this thread doesn't turn into something similar ...

On the other hand - really sorry to hear - not a good start to a new season for sure

• Like 1

Bad start for the M235's this year.  At least your working the bugs out while the water is cold.  Wish you the best in getting back on the water!  Guess I should I feel lucky with my check engine light and bent prop.

Edited by potterm
  • Like 2

Any idea what happened?  Raw water Impeller failure that caused an overheat on the closed side, or was there no indication that the engine was heating up on the gauge?

Edited by oldjeep
5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Any idea what happened?  Raw water Impeller failure that caused an overheat on the closed side?

Naw, it's closed loop raptor engine. It's the actual water pump, pumping coolant. Raw water system working fine. Believe Bearings and seal on water pump out. It makes a high pitched squeal and then goes away, Can't really see it due to supercharger in the way. Antifreeze slinging out and riding belt. Even slinging into locker on life jackets. Boat now has 2.7 hrs. Hope they get it fixed soon. Just hate it, Gona have to take a lot apart to even get to the water pump ??

ahopkins22LSV
11 hours ago, spikew919 said:

Naw, it's closed loop raptor engine. It's the actual water pump, pumping coolant. Raw water system working fine. Believe Bearings and seal on water pump out. It makes a high pitched squeal and then goes away, Can't really see it due to supercharger in the way. Antifreeze slinging out and riding belt. Even slinging into locker on life jackets. Boat now has 2.7 hrs. Hope they get it fixed soon. Just hate it, Gona have to take a lot apart to even get to the water pump ??

It is a closed system, but that closed system is cooled by the raw water.

If the closed systems pump went bad I would guess Malibu will charge the warranty cost back to Indmar. Sorry to hear the first day went like this though. I had a similar event happen on my Response LX. First day, 1.7 hours, transmission seized. Indmar over nighted a new one Monday morning. Dealer had it installed and water tested by Thursday morning. I picked it up Thursday evening. Hopefully your experience is similar.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, spikew919 said:

Love the boat, big and beautiful, run perfect for first 15 minutes, then the smoke from engine bay, and of course water pump  bearings chirping and seal gone out and antifreeze spraying everywhere. Now the bonus round question is. Will indmar take blame or with they say malibu did not properly fill system?? ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

When this happened on my 2013 TXi it took the dealer 4 steam/shampoos to get rid of the antifreeze smell in the boat. Hopefully you don't have the same problem. That stuff is nasty to get rid of and it was ok after the first clean up until the first hot summer day then you could really smell it.  Good luck. Hope it's a quick fix.

Maybe too late for you, but when you took delivery of the boat did you water test the boat with the dealer and push it to the limit on very short time period?

I know some professionals who push the boat for one to two hours with the dealer before taking delivery of their new boat every year. Of course they do not run the boat at high rpm for long.

I personally water test for a good hour, sometimes at full speed, full speed with full ballast at dealer request. As long as you go short bursts, your engine will appreciate according to the dealer.

Well my dealer is definitely bending over backwards over situation. They aren't open Monday's but was coming to get it then, and it's a 3 hr drive to me. I didn't expect anyone to get it on Easter Sunday, but he called this am and is picking it up at lunch and already has conference call with malibu and indmar and his tech set for Monday morning. 

@billjames the dealer took delivery of boat and hooked to hose for 20 minutes first and checked all out, topped off fluids. No Leaks. That was a Friday. I was suppose to pick up Saturday after he water tested. Well he calls, boat threw code running hot but everthing cool to touch. But one of the two coolant reservoirs empty. So they load up and carry back to shop. Call indmar. Indmar ships them 3 gallons of coolant. Says only use theirs or voids warranty. Dealer states no visual leaks. Prolly malibu did not fill all system after adding two heater cores and all plumbing. It took 2.5 gallons to fill. They water tested it hard. Filling ballast and everthing. Then I took delivery. Soon as my wife and I backed it off trailer herd the chirping sound from engine bay. But went away. Idled around dock then started up river. Heard it again stopped with boat idling and pulled plastic cover off top and antifreeze slinging everywhere and smoke coming off where antifreeze burning off engine. So ran around 15 or 25 minutes. 

Will post more when they figure it all out 

• Like 2

The heater connections on engine are port side of supercharger above the belt and cam cover on that side.  Engines ships from Indmar with a U shaped hose connecting the 2 heater connections together.  Boat builder removes or cuts that hose in two and connects heater hoses.  It is possible the leak is at this pair of connections and the chirp heard is the belt wet from glycol leak above it.  I have been told these connections are sometimes opened to burp the heater system while filling.  

I hope they find something this simple as it would seem to be a coolant leak rather than a failed pump since you didn't get any over temp codes as expected if you lost the raw pump or engine glycol pump.

Like most any troubleshooting, start at the last the last thing touched.  In this case, the heater installation since it is a modification to the engine by the boat builder and the dealer already messed with it once to refill the system as well as other threads here with posts about heater clamps left loose,etc.  

• Like 2

Major bummer. Hope things get fixed soon. When we bought our boat, it was used with 50 hours. The dealer said buying used was a great idea as you dont have the small issues of a new boat owner. Well, I dont think these new boats should be having these issues at the price point they go for. However, no one is perfect and things happen... 

11 hours ago, spikew919 said:

Well my dealer is definitely bending over backwards over situation. They aren't open Monday's but was coming to get it then, and it's a 3 hr drive to me. I didn't expect anyone to get it on Easter Sunday, but he called this am and is picking it up at lunch and already has conference call with malibu and indmar and his tech set for Monday morning. 

@billjames the dealer took delivery of boat and hooked to hose for 20 minutes first and checked all out, topped off fluids. No Leaks. That was a Friday. I was suppose to pick up Saturday after he water tested. Well he calls, boat threw code running hot but everthing cool to touch. But one of the two coolant reservoirs empty. So they load up and carry back to shop. Call indmar. Indmar ships them 3 gallons of coolant. Says only use theirs or voids warranty. Dealer states no visual leaks. Prolly malibu did not fill all system after adding two heater cores and all plumbing. It took 2.5 gallons to fill. They water tested it hard. Filling ballast and everthing. Then I took delivery. Soon as my wife and I backed it off trailer herd the chirping sound from engine bay. But went away. Idled around dock then started up river. Heard it again stopped with boat idling and pulled plastic cover off top and antifreeze slinging everywhere and smoke coming off where antifreeze burning off engine. So ran around 15 or 25 minutes. 

Will post more when they figure it all out 

Hope it will be resolved soon with no leftover such as bad smell.

These factory fill antifreeze issues on boats with multiple heaters seem to be the recurring theme.  I hope dealers are getting the memo.  I still don't see how a boat leaves for delivery without dealer having checked all fluid levels though.  Obviously the heater is drawing down the amount of antifreeze in reservoir.  Seems a disconnect between Malibu and dealers about who is responsible for filling?