Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gator Step/ Sea Dek style teak flooring on a budget

Hyperryd

Alright I finally got back to working on this project.  It's coming along great. I can only post 4 pics a day so here you go  if you want to read the write up and see a bunch more pics follow the link below and register at WG.  Takes less time than reformatting 20 pics .  Hope to finish the main cabin area this weekend.

IMG_1858.jpgIMG_1851.jpgIMG_1859.jpgIMG_1860.jpg

http://www.wakegarage.com/forums/topic/112-gator-stepsea-deck-teak-style-flooring-on-a-budget/#comment-200

• Like 3

Ok so a couple reasons I didn't want to post the supplier. I didn't want anybody getting biased for or against the product. I also wanted to see how it installed and form an opinion during the install. I can say that at this point I am very impressed with the quality of the product. It is a full 1/4" thick all the way around. It is super comfortable on the feet and the 3m adhesive backing is no joke. I love the diamonds but I do believe the lines will hold up a lot longer. The only reason being that with all the points on the diamonds there are a lot more chances to pull them up or tear them. Same quality just more small points to fail. That being said I am very happy with the install. It doesn't have to be as hard as I made it, but I wanted the routered edges and two textures. That's on me. Nick who has snap in carpet who used it as a template and had it done in a weekend. My biggest hold up was around the ice chest and under the helm. That is my boat and I would have had to deal with those areas if I had gone with the big guys too. 

I cannot say how it will hold up over time, but I would be surprised if it doesn't do well. The supplier is http://www.marinedeckfactory.com. 

They are in China. They were great to work with. Answered every question I had and the product was at my door 2 weeks after I ordered it via UPS. Nick also got his product in 2 weeks. They have many color options. Hope this helps some of you guys. I'm only half way finished. I still have the swim step and gunwale pads this season and under my seats and lockers next fall. 

• Like 2

I started the swim step today. I had a couple of hours to work on it. I got the pad off in one piece with some help from a neighbor who had a windshield removal tool. Having the pad in one piece saved a ton of time when making the wood template. It did however leave all of the glue behind. The deck glue was way harder to remove than the carpet glue. Using paint thinner and a scraper I finally got it all off.  It's ready for me to cut the decking tomorrow

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

So phase one of this project is essentially complete. Phase two will be under the seats and lockers but that will be in the fall of 2017 as it is tIme to go to the lake. This was a time consuming project, but very much worth every minute spent. A person could easily simplify this install no still have a nice floor. My goal was to have as finished out interior as I could get without paying the big boys a grip of cash. The biggest challenges would have still been there with the high dollar floors. My ice chest area was uneven and I had a large gap under the helm.  Boats with glue down carpet are always going to have mysteries when you pull the carpet.  

My disclaimer is this, I have been installing stereos in boats and upgrading boats for years. I have a lot of tools at my disposal along with a lot of boat interior experience. The rolls don't put themselves in. However with some patience and a good plan going in, it isn't that difficult to do. I definitely think in increased the value of my boat at least 3-5 times what the project cost. I hope this helps some of you guys take the risk and go for it!

I used 2 rolls of lines and 3 rolls of diamonds for phase 1. The rolls for diamonds are smaller and there is more waste during installation with the diamonds. To match another piece you could be off 3" one direction or five inches the other direction. That adds up quick with multiple pieces. The lines should hold up longer with fewer points to get damaged. With 5 rolls the materials cost for phase 1 is $350 for flooring and another $75 in template supplies. 

had mine sitting in direct sun for 9 hours Sunday (90*), air drying after Saturdays lake outing . stepped in to get something out of the glove box - still cool to the touch . no shade on the boat at all.

That's a damn fine job, Sir!

Makes me want to tackle my worn out swim step padding.

Could you post a pic (or two) how you did the finishing of the edges?

Looks so factory!

The way I did it was to make a masonite template of each piece.

Then I put the masonite on top of the flooring to guide my razor knife around the template in the flooring.

Then I put the flooring on top of the masonite and used a router around the edges to trim the top brown layers off to show a black edge.

This site won't let me post any more pics today.  Follow the link to the complete thread.  It lists out all of the steps and has more pics.  If you have any questions PM me, over at Wake Garage.  I can send pics in PMs there as well.

http://www.wakegarage.com/forums/topic/112-gator-stepsea-deck-teak-style-flooring-on-a-budget/

Edited by Hyperryd

Very nice job!!  I had in mind to do something similar to mine but the carpet is one piece through the floor area and extends under the seat bases into the compartments. I wonder if I used the seat bases as a guide to razor cut the carpet to remove the cabin area if it would end up creating an edge that would start to fray in the compartment spaces.  Any thoughts/opinions on that from anyone?

On 5/16/2017 at 5:43 PM, 09vRide said:

Very nice job!!  I had in mind to do something similar to mine but the carpet is one piece through the floor area and extends under the seat bases into the compartments. I wonder if I used the seat bases as a guide to razor cut the carpet to remove the cabin area if it would end up creating an edge that would start to fray in the compartment spaces.  Any thoughts/opinions on that from anyone?

I'm working through this in my head also for the offseason.  But my plan is to gut the boat, seat bases and all, remove the carpet all the way up the gunnels, sand down the fiberglass, coat the floor and gunnels with something like monstaliner, and lay the new floor.  The funding for this project has been pre-approved by the CFO, I don't have the tools or confidence to make nice straight and/or routed cuts like Hyperryd did so I'd like to find and pay more for a kit, but I don't think gatorstep or Seadek has a template for my boat and I've heard the whole template submission process is a real pain and takes forever, I don't have the patience for that.

Edited by Ndawg12

Foot note: The big advantage of making the Masonite templates is it would be easy to make new sections later. I learned this today. One piece that I made, that I was iffy about once installed, was the sub cover. I thought a little contrast would be good and I was low on diamonds so I covered it in lines. After I looked at the complete install I was lukewarm on that piece. Last night a MB owner PMd me and asked why I didn't do that in diamonds. The fact that someone else noticed was enough to push me over the fence. I pieced together enough diamonds to recover it. Since I already had the template it only took about 30 minutes. Moral of the story is stick with the plan.

IMG_2020.jpgIMG_2019.jpgIMG_2021.jpgIMG_2009.jpg

• Like 3
On May 14, 2017 at 9:32 PM, Hyperryd said:

Thanks. 

I built them them and the controller.   Here's a link to them. 

http://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/diy-surf-devices/mb-slappers-r28/

I'm way impressed with the "slappers"!  Nice project well done!  Where did you get the actuators and materials for the gates?  You said they are mounted solid. Are they still solid after hours of use?  Possible to get the secret sauce on your button actuators?  Hell, who am I kidding, wanna fly to ABQ to replicate the project on our 'Bu?  ;)

6 minutes ago, NMMalibuFamily said:

I'm way impressed with the "slappers"!  Nice project well done!  Where did you get the actuators and materials for the gates?  You said they are mounted solid. Are they still solid after hours of use?  Possible to get the secret sauce on your button actuators?  Hell, who am I kidding, wanna fly to ABQ to replicate the project on our 'Bu?  ;)

They are rock solid after plenty of use last season. Send me a PM if you are interested in the controller. 

On 5/14/2017 at 8:03 PM, Hyperryd said:

Just about done with the small stuff.

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

Platform looks great but more impressed with your surfgate system...how about some more pics on it?  Did you design it all yourself?