Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gator Step/ Sea Dek style teak flooring on a budget

Hyperryd

I was hoping to just make a thread on one site and just post links but didn't realize you had to register at WakeGarage.com to see the pics. Great site for threads like this but I didn't want to force anyone to register. Anyways here is the post. 

So when we got my new to me 2011 MB Sport B52 a year and a half ago, it only had 95 hours on it and was in great shape, but the carpet was matted and had some stains on it.  The wife loved the boat but not the carpet. IMG_6656.jpgIMG_6666.jpgIMG_6667.jpg

So this project has been a long time in the planning stage.  I love the Gator Step/Sea Deck style flooring that is coming in most of the new boats.  Most of you know I am all about spending less money and getting the same results as many of the options on new much more expensive boats.  That is what I planned here.  I started out looking at Agenda Surf's two tone sheet traction and when I placed my order they were out of stock.  I found another source from much farther away and decided to take a risk.  I was so impressed when it came in.  It was at least 2mm thicker than the Agenda samples even though both were listed at 6mm.  So I ordered enough to cover the inside floor, the swim step, pads around topside of the boat and enough to do under my seats and lockers from the helm back.  All that for just over $500!  The only area I'm not doing is under the bow seats.  There isn't enough carpet to worry about up there and I didn't want to have to move my batteries and stereo system.  The only thing I store up there are fenders and CGA life vests to keep the PoPo happy.  Again I couldn't get over how nice this stuff is for the price. IMG_6668.jpgIMG_6698.jpgIMG_6699.jpg

So I started this today removing all of the carpet from the inside of the tub.  I have a 2011 MB Sport B52, that means my carpet was still the glue in type so it left a ton of glue after I removed the carpet.

IMG_6700.jpgIMG_6701.jpgIMG_6703.jpg

Well I tried but I can't load any more pics. It says I am limited. Not sure if that is a daily limit or not. I will try again tomorrow. You can visit the link in my first post, all of the pics and info are there up to the point that I am at on the project. Lots to come. 

Limited? Lame!  Hard enough to post pictures,lol.   I look forward to seeing more pics, hope the site gets to it!  I dream of doing the same project.

Always hate clicking on those pics and it goes to photobucket. The MB site and WakeGarage don't make you do all this and I paid to be a member here, they dont charge anything.  Oh well I'll play the game and try to add more later. It really is coming out nice. 

On 4/21/2017 at 10:37 PM, Hyperryd said:

Always hate clicking on those pics and it goes to photobucket. The MB site and WakeGarage don't make you do all this and I paid to be a member here, they dont charge anything.  Oh well I'll play the game and try to add more later. It really is coming out nice. 

Why are you clicking on the pic anyway? It doesn't turn out any bigger. The burden on the site is less. I really like the fact that I can keep my pics on PB, then share them on any forum, email, FB, etc. When I post things here, friends in other places can't see/view them at all.

4 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Why are you clicking on the pic anyway? It doesn't turn out any bigger. The burden on the site is less. I really like the fact that I can keep my pics on PB, then share them on any forum, email, FB, etc. When I post things here, friends in other places can't see/view them at all.

Most sites that let you upload larger pics show the full size pic when you click on the smaller pic. Those that use links just go to the third party site. I would just think that sites that charge supporter fees could "carry the burden" when the free sites do.  It is what it is... I don't have any issue with it. 

For those that have pulled up boat carpet you always find surprises that you have to deal with.  My two trouble areas are going to be around the in floor ice chest and the transition/drop off under the helm.  These will require some extra work to make a surface that the flooring can stick to properly.IMG_6711.jpgIMG_6712.jpg

I spent a few hours scraping the glue out and using mineral spirits to help remove the glue in the corners.  I was pleasantly surprised it didn't take more time and effort to remove the glue.

IMG_6706.jpgIMG_6705.jpgIMG_6704.jpg

Well I reached my pic limit again.  I'll try to post more tomorrow.

Edited by Hyperryd

After I got it all cleaned up I dropped one of the mats down to get an idea if this is worth all of this work.  All I can say is oh yeah!

IMG_1667.jpgIMG_1708.jpg

Next on the schedule is to use fiberglass filler and some resin on top of the trouble areas and then start my template process.  I plan to use a router around the outside edges of the mats to give a finished look.  Stay tuned for the next episode.  Lol  If you see anything that I am missing let me know.

Got a little further leveling around the ice chest. That's going to take some work and time with the family took precedence. I'll get back to it later this week.

This work would have had to happen with a Gator Step floor also.  These years of boats they weren't worried about people looking under carpet, so there is some cosmetic work that need to happen to make them level and able to be stuck to.

IMG_1709.jpg

As to the source, I'll post that later after I have actually put it in. I don't like to recommend what I haven't tried. So far I am very impressed,but the proof is in the pudding. I will say you have to order 5 sheets minimum which runs around $350 shipped so for small jobs you might try Agendasurf.com. They have some nice sheet traction that can be purchased individually. No secrets just want to see it in first.

9 minutes ago, Hyperryd said:

I plan to use a router around the outside edges of the mats to give a finished look.  

Are you just planning on free handing it with a router?  Ive always wondered how people follow lines with a router.

So the plan for the router work is this. Use the factory carpet as a template. (It came out in great shape). Mark out the template on a piece of 1/4" hard panel board. Cut out the board as a full size template. 4'x8' board is only $8, should need 2. Sand the edges as necessary to make the shape I want. Test fit as necessary in the boat. Use the board as a cutting template to guide the blade to cut out the decking the same shape. Then put the decking on top of the board and using a cove bit on a trim router, use the wood to guide the roller on the bit to keep an even edge around the outside of the template. In theory it should come out nice. We shall see soon enough.

i started with some straight edges already.  I'll post some pics tomorrow 

• Like 1

I don't have a lot of time to work on this project this week but I did get a chance to test out some router bits and speeds on this stuff. First off I'm using a Makita variable speed trim router on this project.  I found the smoothest passes came with the speed just above 3.  I ended up going with a 1/4" x 1/2" rounding cove bit.

IMG_1741.jpgIMG_1742.jpgIMG_1744.jpg

Pic makes it link like the center is a different color but it is the same color down to the black. Stuff photographs weird. 

Edited by Hyperryd
  • Like 2

I love the look of this stuff. I'm considering taking out my snap in carpets and go with this instead. Any links to where you purchased?

Only had it for a month and had the boat out two weekends, so keeping clean has not been an issue. When it was 90* out , it was cool to the touch . feels like walking on memory foam!   

I feel a winter project coming on after this season is over....thanks for sharing this link.  I was going to run the deckadence floor mat again but maybe I will try something different and give this a go.

• Like 2