Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 & 1/2 Ton Truck

scottmcn1

Towed my M235 with a 80 gallons of gas and 500 lbs of lead with our 2017 Raptor.  Very impressed how well it towed for the 3 hour trip inspite of it being a 1/2 ton and only having a 8000lb tow rating.  Boat plus trailer approximately 9,200lbs. (Boat dry weight 6200 +500 in lead +500 from gas+2000 for trailer) Trailer brakes made stopping excellent for such a heavy load.  Triple axle helped keep the tongue weight manageable without a weight distribution hitch.  Towed better than my 2012 Tundra which had a 10,000lb tow rating.  Gas mileage was 8.3.

IMG_5958.jpg

• Like 4

Wow!  All I can say is wow! Make sure your tranny doesn't smoke. Mine got hot and puked oil out the vent towing a23 lsv.

Edited by surfdude
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:15 PM, potterm said:

Towed my M235 with a 80 gallons of gas and 500 lbs of lead with our 2017 Raptor.  Very impressed how well it towed for the 3 hour trip inspite of it being a 1/2 ton and only having a 8000lb tow rating.  Boat plus trailer approximately 9,200lbs. (Boat dry weight 6200 +500 in lead +500 from gas+2000 for trailer) Trailer brakes made stopping excellent for such a heavy load.  Triple axle helped keep the tongue weight manageable without a weight distribution hitch.  Towed better than my 2012 Tundra which had a 10,000lb tow rating.  Gas mileage was 8.3.

Where's all that lead? Upfront, adding to the tongue weight?

Have they changed the raptor suspension in the last few years?  Friend of mine used to tow a car trailer/jeep combo with his, weighed maybe 7K and it was such a scary tow vehicle on the highway he sold it.  That looks to be a ton more weight.

Lead is in the side storage compartments over the axles.  I made sure to keep tongue weight to a minimum.  Looks bad but towed better than my tundra with the higher tow rating.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2017 at 10:18 AM, oldjeep said:

curious how many of you have compared the brakes on a modern half ton with a modern 3/4 ton.  Having changed them on both (rams) there isn't much difference any more in terms of braking area or rotor thickness.  In terms of curb weight there is about a 300lb difference between a 1500 & 2500 gasser crew cab, adding the Cummins makes it an 850lb difference.    Not saying that there are not valid reasons for a bigger truck, but there isn't as much difference in brakes and weight as some think.

The 2015 Denali 2500 with Duramax I traded in scaled in at 7460. The 2017 F150 I replaced it with scales at 5160. The 2014 Tundra that preceded both scaled in at 5860. All were weighed on the same CAT scale. The Denali and Tundra were optioned to the absolute max.

The smallest spread is 1600 lbs. that weight is largely in the frame and engine and it makes a huge difference when towing. 

• Like 2

The new Raptor weighs about 5700 lbs the frame is heavier than a regular f150. There are a couple of aftermarket companies making easy on and off bump stops that will make it a much better tow vehicle.