Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 & 1/2 Ton Truck

scottmcn1

I am in the process of possibly pulling the trigger on a new M235.  Does anybody have any experience in pulling a M235 with a 1/2 ton truck?  Technically it will be under the max towing capacity.  I currently have a GMC Sierra that maxes out at 9400.  I literally just pull it across the street and to the dealer for service so it's not any far trips.  

Anybody else out there pull their M235 with a 1/2?  I really don't want to upgrade boat and truck ...

I can tell you for sure. She is a heavy boat. Good bit of tongue weight. Normal driving prolly good, but when a distracted driver pulls out in front of you. That boat dry with no gear or even gas will throw a half Ton around. And pretty sure it would drag a half ton down a steep ramp.  Just my thoughts 

How long before some of the trailer people will start thinking about adding weight distributing hitch to the trailers. If I was pulling some of the boats today I would be looking at adding a system to my vehicle and trailer. The fuel alone is getting up in weight.

Go over to planet nautique forum, there is a long thread about G tow vehicles. Mostly, they recommend or advice the category of F250, 2500 in whatever brand you like.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, scottmcn1 said:

I am in the process of possibly pulling the trigger on a new M235.  Does anybody have any experience in pulling a M235 with a 1/2 ton truck?  Technically it will be under the max towing capacity.  I currently have a GMC Sierra that maxes out at 9400.  I literally just pull it across the street and to the dealer for service so it's not any far trips.  

Anybody else out there pull their M235 with a 1/2?  I really don't want to upgrade boat and truck ...

If that is all you are doing, I would say you are fine.

My main tow vehicle for my 23LSV is a 3500 DRW, which is overkill.  But I also use a 2011 Yukon XL, and that is marginal at best.  I am not sure if it is the tires, but the boat will at times drag it down the ramp before it stops.  I certainly wouldn't want to pull a M235 any distance with it.

1 hour ago, Sixball said:

How long before some of the trailer people will start thinking about adding weight distributing hitch to the trailers. If I was pulling some of the boats today I would be looking at adding a system to my vehicle and trailer. The fuel alone is getting up in weight.

I looked into this a lot with my LSV even.  In the end, I punted.  Malibu was clueless in talking to them about a system and most trailer places didn't know how to deal with the folding tongue and a WDH setup.  I know it could've done but I didn't find any clean setups that were somewhat cost effective. 

4 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

I don't get why they aren't putting electric brakes on these trailers instead of crappy surge brakes. Would make backing down a ramp with a heavy boat a lot safer. I've been in the situation a few times in my 3/4 ton when helping a buddy launch his commercial trawler. Make sure it's straight and hang on for the ride down. Usually can stop once the boat hits the water.

To op, I wouldn't buy a new rig in your situation. I would use your current truck, rent a truck if yours won't get it done, or better yet, make your dealer come get it. You spent enough money after all...

Mainly due to the fact that electricity and water do not mix. However they do have solution:

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/trailering/2013/february/electric-over-hydraulic-brakes.asp

If you feel like you need something bigger, look into renting a HD truck from Enterprise for those few trips. It's $60-75/day around here, but that and availability could vary by region.

Edited by NWBU
1 minute ago, potterm said:

If your ramp is steep you may need 4 low to pull the boat out

Good call.

I have a 2015 1500 Sierra Denali 4x4 with the 6.2 and it pulls the 22MXZ without even knowing it's back there. Our ramps aren't overly steep or at least that I really noticed ... I have never run into any issue to date but I know the M235 is going to be a completely different ballgame.  

I read through some some of the forums on the G23 and it's all over the place. Some guys swear by 1/2 tons and other guys say you absolutely need a HD.

Your max allowable weight on that truck without a WDH is probably about 5000lbs. The 235 on a triple axle is going to be about 9000 lbs. The posters who mentioned sliding down ramps etc... are having that issue because they are braking with two wheels. The fronts don't have any weight on them. Emergency stopping distances are going to be very long assuming you can maintain control with the light front end. The requirement for a WDH to get the high towing weights is often buried in the fine print. The good news is rather then get a new truck you can rig a boat trailer with a WDH if it has a non folding tongue. Folding tongues get a bit harder but I have heard there are options.

Just now, Sailvi767 said:

Your max allowable weight on that truck without a WDH is probably about 5000lbs. The 235 on a triple axle is going to be about 9000 lbs. The posters who mentioned sliding down ramps etc... are having that issue because they are braking with two wheels. The fronts don't have any weight on them. Emergency stopping distances are going to be very long assuming you can maintain control with the light front end. The requirement for a WDH to get the high towing weights is often buried in the fine print. The good news is rather then get a new truck you can rig a boat trailer with a WDH if it has a non folding tongue. Folding tongues get a bit harder but I have heard there are options.

depends, most modern 1/2 ton trucks - other than ford come with class 4 or 5 receivers.

2 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

I don't get why they aren't putting electric brakes on these trailers instead of crappy surge brakes. Would make backing down a ramp with a heavy boat a lot safer. I've been in the situation a few times in my 3/4 ton when helping a buddy launch his commercial trawler. Make sure it's straight and hang on for the ride down. Usually can stop once the boat hits the water.

To op, I wouldn't buy a new rig in your situation. I would use your current truck, rent a truck if yours won't get it done, or better yet, make your dealer come get it. You spent enough money after all...

Were you able to pull the trawler back out of the water with your 3/4 ton?

1 hour ago, MadMan said:

Were you able to pull the trawler back out of the water with your 3/4 ton?

Yup, that's the easy part. Pulled it 20 hrs up here from socal with my truck too. 

Boatmate or Ramlin triple axel with electric over hydraulic brakes. Both are selling them regularly now.

triple axel reduces tongue weight big time. And increased stability.

electric brakes is 100x better than our standard hydraulic brakes.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, nyryan2001 said:

Boatmate or Ramlin triple axel with electric over hydraulic brakes. Both are selling them regularly now.

triple axel reduces tongue weight big time. And increased stability.

electric brakes is 100x better than our standard hydraulic brakes.

I prefer surge brakes over the electric over hydraulic.  And I don't really understand why the triple would reduce tongue weight.

36 minutes ago, MadMan said:

I prefer surge brakes over the electric over hydraulic.  And I don't really understand why the triple would reduce tongue weight.

Because the front axle on a triple is further forward than the front axle on a tandem. Which also makes The tridem axle set carry more weight. More weight on trailer axles = less weight on the tongue.

Its not a huge difference, but it does make a difference. Tracking is much better with a triple as well.

Edited by TenTwentyOne
36 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Because the front axle on a triple is further forward than the front axle on a tandem. Which also makes The tridem axle set carry more weight. More weight on trailer axles = less weight on the tongue.

Its not a huge difference, but it does make a difference. Tracking is much better with a triple as well.

When a trailer is manufactured, the axles (single, dual, triple)  and boat can be positioned for any tongue weight desired.  Also every boat trailer I've had, single and dual, has been absolutely stable.  No tracking/stability problems at all.  I can't say the same for my cargo or car trailers.  I believe it has to do with the distance the axles are from the hitch, boats are rear heavy so the axles are father back on the boat trailers.

G23s are ~8-8500lbs loaded and heading to the lake on a standard ~1700lb budget dual axel 6" frame 8,000lb rated trailer.

my 8" frame 10k rated triple axel weighs right at 2,000lbs.

if you have to stretch the tow capacity of your truck... invest in the trailer.

Huge difference in towing with the over-loaded 8k cheapie trailers and a within spec over-built triple axle.

anyone who believes these hydraulic surge brakes we use outperform electric aren't experienced or living in reality.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nyryan2001 said:

G23s are ~8-8500lbs loaded and heading to the lake on a standard ~1700lb budget dual axel 6" frame 8,000lb rated trailer.

my 8" frame 10k rated triple axel weighs right at 2,000lbs.

if you have to stretch the tow capacity of your truck... invest in the trailer.

Huge difference in towing with the over-loaded 8k cheapie trailers and a within spec over-built triple axle.

anyone who believes these hydraulic surge brakes we use outperform electric aren't experienced or living in reality.

Well, depends on what you mean by out perform.  Our hydraulic brakes are discs, pure electric are drum.  Electric over hydraulic gets you the best of both - discs that you can manually actuate.  Yes with electric you can turn up the gain on your controller to compensate for a too heavy load, but you also get with that the potential for immediate failure of all brakes due to a bad wire.

tradeoffs

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

You were just added to my ignore list.