Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Your Boat, Your Friends and their s***

ah2oguy

I am very OCD of my boat and when I have friends out they have to put their s*** in the appropriate places on my boat.  My wife things I am crazy and friends can just put there stuff where ever they want to ie: Towels got under the spotters seat, life jackets in the back hatches.

My Buddies boat has coolers in the walk way, life jackets on the floor, cheetos and bags of chips sitting on the seat cushions, open drinks not in cup holders, Blah, Blah, Blah

what are the rules on your boats?

I 2nd oldjeep, but also add in no smoking! Only have one or two friends in our group that still do it and they know to not even bring them in the boat. 

3 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I 2nd oldjeep, but also add in no smoking! Only have one or two friends in our group that still do it and they know to not even bring them in the boat. 

never would have thought of that one.  Only people I ever see smoking are the bums by my office.

MalibuNation

I used to say no smoking until I found a cup of chew left behind in cup on my boat so I broadened it to no tobacco.

In addition to no powdered cheese snacks nothing that can melt like chocolate.

I do allow glass on the boat.

Kids will be kids and they can be full of energy but I limit horse play.  Kids have to sit while the boat is moving.

Spotters have to spot.

• Like 4

I'm pretty lax on rules on my boat, opposite of OCD, basically ban things that would do permanent damage or would be hard to clean up.  This is a benefit of having an old boat.

But, if there are 10+ people, I do try to limit large items (extra coolers, etc).

• Like 1

No colored drinks, no Cheeze-Its.   I swear, you could use wet Cheeze-Its as mortar for building a brick wall.  Other than that...no real rules.  Everything gets eaten on the swim platform, anyway.  I once had a buddy leave a receipt on the engine cover.  It got wet, bled through, and left an exact copy of what he bought that day imprinted on the vinyl.  Thought I was going to have to look at that forever, but the sun took care of it...Magic Malibu Vinyl and all...

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, RTS said:

No colored drinks, no Cheeze-Its.   I swear, you could use wet Cheeze-Its as mortar for building a brick wall.  Other than that...no real rules.  Everything gets eaten on the swim platform, anyway.  I once had a buddy leave a receipt on the engine cover.  It got wet, bled through, and left an exact copy of what he bought that day imprinted on the vinyl.  Thought I was going to have to look at that forever, but the sun took care of it...Magic Malibu Vinyl and all...

Cheez-It mortar and Magic Malibu Vinyl.  Good stuff.

My '98 is new to me at the end of last season so we don't have the rules established yet.  I think I would be like Old Jeep mostly.  And the no smoking/tobacco, though I don't really know any users that would come out with me at this point.  I got lax in our old '88 outboard, so I may have to tighten it up, but the kids are older too, so I don't think I will have much of a problem.  Whatever I do, I want to let my wife pretty much do what she wants as I want her to come out (she skis but is not a hard core).  But she is pretty practical so I don't expect many problems.   

Getting weight in the right places for being underway is important to me.  I would rather pull a skier with a driver and one only mostly.  But morning missions for those that like to ski harder can have tighter rules than the later in the day runs and entertainment rides.

I don't have any set rules but expect people to respect my boat or anything I own for that matter.  I don't hesitate to speak up if needed. I don't know any smokers anymore so that is easy!  I put my boat in yesterday and stopped at the gas station to fill up with my spring tank of premium fuel, the owner was standing outside and came over to say Nice boat.  New?  No ten years old. He said wow you take care of the boat! 

• Like 3

I've never had anyone over the age of 2 argues about the life vests. Wow. 

For us it's pretty relaxed. Of course no cheesy snacks,no spray on sunblock, no makeup kits, and nothing at all resembling a plastic grocery bag. I don't have the experience with a receipt transferring to vinyl, but I did have to look at an HEB logo for a long time once.  Only person to be mad at is me  

Other than that we're pretty lax. Kids can be kids. Folks can even wear shoes. Gasp! I've always allowed it and never had a vinyl problem in 16 years. I do check other folks shoes that they don't have any grit or sand in the tread, but that's it. I am easy going on shoes because I wear corrective shoes on my crippled feet most anytime I'm not sleeping. If I can wear em. Then so can they. Surprisingly most folks naturally take them off in a boat anyways. 

What does spray sunblock do?

My rules are get the heck out of my way when I need to walk to the back or learn to help the rider yourself. I get so many moms and dads with young kids that think rider down is the time to get up and fuss with the kids. If you see the captain up on his feet, let him do his thing and then deal with whatever juice box emergency you got going on. Boats are small, and it's easy to be in the way. <-- This happens all the time while we are docking too or heading to the sandbar and it drives me INSANE. So you notice how the ignition is off and we are floating towards 20 boats? No you should definitely be the first one off the boat before the driver can even tie it up. And for god sakes people if you do get in the water right after the driver, hold the damn boat. Don't go walking off or opening your beer.

And if you try to get off first on the dock at the launch with anything other than a line in your hands you sleep on the couch that night. and get the smores with only a quarter bar of chocolate on them.

Also I do not care if your kid is whining, they go in the playpen up front if there are a bunch of adults in back. We all had to do it as kids so you do to.

As for gear and snacks no rules but I have found it super helpful to give my friends a beach bag and say fill it up. That way they know how much space they have. My walkway fits two big beach bags and a cooler. I give my guests the same size bag as our family uses.

I love having an older boat though, so we can drink wine and have cheetos! However when we do have tobacco (usually cigars) we get on the pontoon.

Edit: added Dad's because idiocy knows no gender.

Edited by 95echelon
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, oldjeep said:

never would have thought of that one.  Only people I ever see smoking are the bums by my office.

You get me drunk enough and I will burn one. FAR more common now are joints. I keep a vaporizer on the boats now for pot. Won't burn the seats (might be a thing only in pot states).

15 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

What does spray sunblock do?

My rules are get the heck out of my way when I need to walk to the back or learn to help the rider yourself. I get so many moms and dads with young kids that think rider down is the time to get up and fuss with the kids. If you see the captain up on his feet, let him do his thing and then deal with whatever juice box emergency you got going on. Boats are small, and it's easy to be in the way. <-- This happens all the time while we are docking too or heading to the sandbar and it drives me INSANE. So you notice how the ignition is off and we are floating towards 20 boats? No you should definitely be the first one off the boat before the driver can even tie it up. And for god sakes people if you do get in the water right after the driver, hold the damn boat. Don't go walking off or opening your beer.

And if you try to get off first on the dock at the launch with anything other than a line in your hands you sleep on the couch that night. and get the smores with only a quarter bar of chocolate on them.

Also I do not care if your kid is whining, they go in the playpen up front if there are a bunch of adults in back. We all had to do it as kids so you do to.

As for gear and snacks no rules but I have found it super helpful to give my friends a beach bag and say fill it up. That way they know how much space they have. My walkway fits two big beach bags and a cooler. I give my guests the same size bag as our family uses.

I love having an older boat though, so we can drink wine and have cheetos! However when we do have tobacco (usually cigars) we get on the pontoon.

Edit: added Dad's because idiocy knows no gender.

I agree.  In the past, just as I'm about to dock, 7 people stand up and begin to look for their flip-flops.  But now, before we dock, I just give some brief instructions.   Same thing when there is a beginner wake boarder at the end of the rope, I can't communicate with them because of all the loud conversations going on in the boat. Just stop talking for 5 seconds.

I used to have a list of rules. My friends even called me the boat nazi for a while. Now I just have fun and don't worry about the small stuff. As the captain, I try to limit behavior that will get someone hurt or break the boat but luckily I have a great group of friends that are respectful. If I don't like the way someone acts or they are out of control, they don't get invited back out. Our general rule is "don't break two rules at once" which is more referring to the law so we can limit our exposure to law enforcement. 

• Like 3

Biggest thing I ever raised my voice about or made very clear I was serious about is when I had a boat load of kids in the boat with their parents, as we would approach the dock I would say "DO NOT REACH FOR THE DOCK!"  Told them to stay on their butts and I would grab it...after gracefully maneuvering my DD to a perfect park, or course!  :)   Especially with the kids in the bow, their instinct to reach for dock was strong.   More than one time I would shout not to reach loud enough for the parents to give me some strange looks.  Didn't want to have to explain to them what would happen to juniors hands if it got pinched.

• Like 2

No rules. Tons of spray sunscreen. 

Although I have put people's stuff away. Even asked a gal to cover up because the raspberry on her butt from sliding into 3rd base left some DNA on the seat. :Doh:

We wear shoes. I set the example by not walking on the seats, others seem to follow without a problem. Smokers can smoke, just do it downwind.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 2

No shoes, no red wine and no spray lotion!  I do allow chips though as I never hesitate to pull out my handy-dandy black & decker cordless vac!  Sometimes I get strange looks but I'm an anal sob and if the vac bugs you I will gladly bring you back to the doc!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, RedOwl said:

A random thought about something else we do with 'new' guests:

We currently boat with a lot of young people and new boaters (parents and kids). In addition to telling them our life jacket policy, we also always announce when they get on the boat that we would really like to see everyone do something behind the boat and will NEVER put them out of their comfort zone. Want to tube at 10mph? - you got it. Want to surf and never be asked to give the rope back? - definitely. Want to sit on a kneeboard/ZUP and not do any tricks at slow speed? - your wish is our command.

I am not sure why, but it seems like a lot of inexperienced boaters have a vision or memory of a drunk uncle that said he'd be 'nice' while they were tubing and then slammed them all over the lake. Just my experience.

It's crazy to me that in Wisconsin that would be an issue. Everywhere you turn there is water. 

Safety first and always. Things that stain get eaten in the water or on the swim platform.

NO SHOES! 

I am pretty relaxed and try to be super nice, but what I say goes.

+1 on meeting people "where they are" and supporting whatever they want. Boating is about fun, not pressure. I especially try to adhere to this with my own kids.

My reqular crew know my "rules" already.   They also have jobs that they volunteer to do when we are launching, docking, water sports recovering, and post outing cleaning.   It is very nice, I have never asked, just led by example out of the gate.    Having said that, the new boat will probably have some new rules, and definitely has more safety things to go over for new guests. 

I have been thinking about putting together a one page laminated sheet, and keep one in the truck, and one in the boat for someone who has not been out with us before.   Most of it would be saftey oriented stuff... where things are(PFDs, Fire Extinguisher, Air horn, etc etc, and what do do in case of an emergency.    But I could also include some of the captain "requests" like no colored drinks, spray suntan lotion, cheetos etc - only things that would do real damage.   I dont plan on being anal about it (after all, it is a tool for having FUN, so I dont intend to be the No Fun Patrol) but it would help keep things from getting completely out of hand.   Riiiiighhhhtttt.   Ok, so in MY mind I will be completely anal, I just will control my commentary as much as possible.   

• Like 2