Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereos in boats. Anyone else not see the real need?

sunvalleylaw

8 hours ago, Shastasurf said:

I don't have a tower, lol.  But I am a selfish douchebag.  My stereo is loud but not like tower speakers.   Just something about listening to music while in a boat that is fun and fumes smell better with music. But I will agree that paying my taxes today got me all cranky.   And for that tranquil water setting, I go whitewater rafting or sailing on a lake that restricts motor sports.   Or I could just blast ya some Enya, lol.   

Enya!? Now this thread has gone to far :frantic:

• Like 2
On 4/15/2017 at 7:06 PM, IXFE said:

Show me any father to teenage girls who says he hasn't, and I'll show you a liar. 

I have a 12 year old girl and she actually has decent taste in music.  Maybe it's raising her listening to good non pop music

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jjackkrash said:

Me and the boys heading to the course.  

That is particularly good for PNW skiing with an Eagle eryie in the vicinity.  We get that sometimes where we ski over there.  I will remember that for when we are out at Hood Canal next time.  

I am hoping we can keep this discussion friendly.  It pretty much has been until recently.  

Public lakes are a real lesson in dividing scarce resources; you really get to see the best and worst in people.  All the different activities are in competition with one another, including those seeking peace and quiet and those seeking an adrenaline rush in their respective sports.  And, frankly, when I want to ski on a public lake, every single boat that makes a wake is a resource competitor because every roller sucks when you are skiing.  And I know the fishing must absolutely rock in the entrance gates on the course because that's is were the fishing boats seem to love to anchor for the day.  But its a public lake, and we all need to find a way to get along and share.  Its a wonder there isn't more violence on a busy public lake with all the competing interests.  

As an aside, the resource competition pushed many skiers to private lakes which, ironically, and IMO, has contributed to hurting the sport because now there is very little public exposure to slalom skiing.  Se va.  

Edited by jjackkrash
3 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

Public lakes are real lesson in dividing scarce resources; you really get to see the best and worst in people.  All the different activities are in competition with one another, including those seeking peace and quiet and those seeking an adrenaline rush in their respective sports.  And, frankly, when I want to ski on a public lake, every single boat that makes a wake is a resource competitor because every roller sucks when you are skiing.  And I know the fishing must absolutely rock in the entrance gates on the course because that's is were the fishing boats seem to love to anchor for the day.  But its a public lake, and we all need to find a way to get along and share.  Its a wonder there isn't more violence on a busy public lake with all the competing interests.  

As an aside, the resource competition pushed many skiers to private lakes which, ironically, and IMO, has contributed to hurting the sport because now there is very little public exposure to slalom skiing.  Se va.  

I have witnessed, and once was nearly involved in, some violence, at least verbal, at a public boat ramp by a beer drinking dude with a red face.  I won't say what kind of user as I don't want to stereotype anecdotally.  Yeah, we all must share.  I can chill and let some kids (old or young) surfing cruise by in the heat of the day with some tunes on.  Even if it is a bit much for my taste, it is only for a few minutes.  Hopefully others can also be considerate and not overdo it.   But in any case, life is too short for me to get my panties in too much of a bunch about it.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Public lakes are real lesson in dividing scarce resources; you really get to see the best and worst in people.  All the different activities are in competition with one another, including those seeking peace and quiet and those seeking an adrenaline rush in their respective sports.  And, frankly, when I want to ski on a public lake, every single boat that makes a wake is a resource competitor because every roller sucks when you are skiing.  And I know the fishing must absolutely rock in the entrance gates on the course because that's is were the fishing boats seem to love to anchor for the day.  But its a public lake, and we all need to find a way to get along and share.  Its a wonder there isn't more violence on a busy public lake with all the competing interests.  

I agree public lakes bring out the best and worst in people, and you tend to have a higher percentage of inexperienced boaters.  Around here the public lakes are small to boot, feels like you're taking your life into your hands every time you go out past 10am, hence why I'm also on a private lake.   Trying to get any water sport done on a public lake past 10am is futile

Edited by CJAY

Great thread. I'm with the OP and never really understood the tower speaker thing until a friend took me out in his Mastercraft with them. The kids loved boarding with them on, playing a tune they love. The geezer in me winced a little bit because I don't want to be "that guy", imposing on other people's enjoyment of the lake. So, I guess in small doses I'm ok with it, but cranking tunes when you're clearly imposing on those around you still kind of rubs me the wrong way. 

When we configured our soon-to-be VTX we took out the tower speakers, amp and sub and spent that money on the SeaDek flooring, surf pipe and a couple other things that we wanted that will be hard to add later. I figured we could always add back the sound system later if we decided we wanted it. Time will tell. 

I'm a long time snowboarder, so I have a lot of experience with disturbing the peace skiers want on the mountains. Ha!

Note: I'm on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH and there are houses all around it, so we're probably "disturbing" someone if we go out at 7am to catch glass (even with no music playing). 

• Like 1
On 4/13/2017 at 8:46 PM, sunvalleylaw said:

I see a lot of threads here about sound systems in boats.  Call me a curmudgeon (get off my lawn!!) or whatever, but I just do not see the big appeal.  Plus, given how sound carries on water, to me it is rude to blast whatever you want to hear all the way across the lake. If you need tunes, it might be nice to try to keep it to the vicinity of your own boat. Though I recognize others may really like having tunes, and they have a right to do so, imposing ones' tunes on everyone else isn't all that cool.  

For myself and tunes (I love music BTW) though I don't mind some boat tunes during breaks from skiing (and for that, I will just use my iPhone and a UEBoom2), I prefer the sounds of the boat, the sounds of the water on the boat, birds, fish jumping etc.  

Anyone else with me?  

No one has said anything about subs, only tower speakers. Im sure this link will get all you anti sound system guys riled up...
www.facebook.com/nissangobang/videos/421055368252734

sorry about the facebook link, couldnt find it anywhere else...

Edited by AJwakedevil
17 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

No one has said anything about subs, only tower speakers. Im sure this link will get all you anti sound system guys riled up...
www.facebook.com/nissangobang/videos/421055368252734

sorry about the facebook link, couldnt find it anywhere else...

Poor scared fishies!  Can we get a lowered honda with tires sticking out from under the wheel wells and a fart tube with that??  Poor scared fishies!  

;)

I never said I was completely anti sound system (well, I said I didn't see the need for one in a boat, so I guess I did).  But I want to clarify I have no problem with folks having one if the use is reasonable and respectful.  

• Like 3
22 hours ago, jstorerj said:

Great thread. I'm with the OP and never really understood the tower speaker thing until a friend took me out in his Mastercraft with them. The kids loved boarding with them on, playing a tune they love. The geezer in me winced a little bit because I don't want to be "that guy", imposing on other people's enjoyment of the lake. So, I guess in small doses I'm ok with it, but cranking tunes when you're clearly imposing on those around you still kind of rubs me the wrong way. 

When we configured our soon-to-be VTX we took out the tower speakers, amp and sub and spent that money on the SeaDek flooring, surf pipe and a couple other things that we wanted that will be hard to add later. I figured we could always add back the sound system later if we decided we wanted it. Time will tell. 

I'm a long time snowboarder, so I have a lot of experience with disturbing the peace skiers want on the mountains. Ha!

Note: I'm on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH and there are houses all around it, so we're probably "disturbing" someone if we go out at 7am to catch glass (even with no music playing). 

On that last note, I have to admit that as well.  At Redfish, when camping, you pretty much need to be up and out on the boat at 7 or 8 to really ski good water.  I can always hear the person that is first out.  So, if I get up and out, I am contributing to the noise as well.  The lake shuttle boat starts around 8 I think so at that time, it is on.

So, it comes down to reasonableness and some amount of courtesy I guess.  For all of us. 

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • Like 2

+1  Never understood why one tuber needs glass while 10 other skiers and or wakeboarders just want to get in a couple good sets on it. There should be a tubing and jet ski section in the middle of the lake.

• Like 2
On 4/18/2017 at 9:28 PM, sic0048 said:

I will upset people by saying this, but if you use tower speakers you are a douchebag.

If you can hear the music while surfing/skiing/wakeboarding etc so can everyone else around the lake. Your "fun" isn't the same as everyone else and using tower speakers just tells me you don't give a rip about anyone but yourself. Worse yet is when they play music with vulgar language.  I don't want to hear it, and my elementary aged children don't need to hear it either. 

Why do you need music while you are behind the boat anyway?  Are you so shallow that you cannot live without music for the length of your set?  You can enjoy the moment without music - in fact it might surprise you how enjoyable the moment is. 

Get off my lawn!!!!!!

I ha ent read this thread but my Dad doesn't  think stereos belong in a boat either... (he is 86 and has never liked music)...I however think powerful stereos are a MUST HAVE!!!!!!!

On 4/19/2017 at 10:53 AM, jjackkrash said:

Public lakes are a real lesson in dividing scarce resources; you really get to see the best and worst in people.  All the different activities are in competition with one another, including those seeking peace and quiet and those seeking an adrenaline rush in their respective sports.  And, frankly, when I want to ski on a public lake, every single boat that makes a wake is a resource competitor because every roller sucks when you are skiing.  And I know the fishing must absolutely rock in the entrance gates on the course because that's is were the fishing boats seem to love to anchor for the day.  But its a public lake, and we all need to find a way to get along and share.  Its a wonder there isn't more violence on a busy public lake with all the competing interests.  

It's gotten way worse up by us.  Used to be it was us and one other boat, both lightweight Outboards with the lake more or less to ourselves on the weekends.  Then cheap money started becoming available.  The old folks with tiny shacks started giving way to boomers and younger with disposable income to bulldoze the small places and plop down $150k into water toys and accessories.

Now if you're not off the water by 9:30, you are hosed if you're trying to do anything that requires calm, like slalom or barefooting.  Can't even find good water around dinner time anymore. :(

But we've still got next to zero tower speaker abusers...  :)

58 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

It's gotten way worse up by us.  Used to be it was us and one other boat, both lightweight Outboards with the lake more or less to ourselves on the weekends.  Then cheap money started becoming available.  The old folks with tiny shacks started giving way to boomers and younger with disposable income to bulldoze the small places and plop down $150k into water toys and accessories.

Now if you're not off the water by 9:30, you are hosed if you're trying to do anything that requires calm, like slalom or barefooting.  Can't even find good water around dinner time anymore. :(

But we've still got next to zero tower speaker abusers...  :)

That sounds exactly like my family's experience at Horsehead Bay, Gig Harbor WA area.  Used to be retirement homes and cabins, and modest homes.  Then people started getting priced out just by the property taxes alone.  It frankly is sad.  Talking mostly about home ownership here, and not so much about the boat styles.  

I like loud music when surfing but I temper the volume with surroundings.  the bass boaters have the lake now but their time is limited.  it is basically season now in st. louis area with 65-70 deg water.  would have went out last sat but couldn't work it into the schedule.