Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereos in boats. Anyone else not see the real need?

sunvalleylaw

22 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

It's actually got a good bass line.  Gives that sub a workout!

Got to get  the version w Biggie to make it bearable.   

I will be cranking Country all summer long on my new stereo.  People on my lake better learn to like it.  

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

I will be cranking Country all summer long on my new stereo.  People on my lake better learn to like it.  

I went back to Ohio, and my city was gone.  

On 4/15/2017 at 9:06 PM, IXFE said:

Show me any father to teenage girls who says he hasn't, and I'll show you a liar. 

My girls are 12......but I started indoctrinating them at birth.  So their favorite bands/musicians are Trombone Shorty and Lettuce.  No, I've never played pop crap in my car or on my boat or whatever.  Only time I ever hear it is when they are with their friends, and trying to show off for their friends by being obnoxious to me.  By their phone speakers aren't much of a match.  Mercifully their one friend who likes to be obnoxious with that kind of stuff (in a good way.....we're all close enough as families that it is good natured ribbing) had her father indoctrinate her with classic rock (as in the real stuff from the 60's and 70's, not the crap that they play on "classic" rock stations now), too.

I'm still trying to get my system wrapped up.  ON the first boat, 67Queen told me to get a stereo, so I did.  Again, pretty nice.  But every time she is in the boat, she makes me turn it down to a level where you can't hear it.  I'm still "WTF"ing over that balderdash.  At any rate, I'm in the "you gotta have the power to get decent sound" crowd, and as mentioned way earlier, not power to make it loud, but power to drive speakers cleanly so that it sounds decent.  We generally use the tower speakers when anchored, and only have occasionally used them when towing someone.  But for the most part, when we're towing, the sound is down, as we're paying attention to who is riding/surfing/whatever.  Mostly listen when we're cruising, or going to a different section of the lake to try to find some smooth water.

Our lake is pretty dang big, and there are a lot of houses on it, but most are in coves, so maybe well protected.  In 6 years, I have only heard one obnoxious boat.  Blasting profanity laced rap, probably audible for a good 2 miles.  And sadly, it was an Axis.  

Oh yeah....I hvae an uninstalled pair of speakers for the captain.  Since that was brought up.  Guess I need to wonder down to that forum to see what others are doing, as I haven't figured out how I'm going to do it, yet, because the factory locations suck for the guy driving!

I will upset people by saying this, but if you use tower speakers you are a douchebag.

If you can hear the music while surfing/skiing/wakeboarding etc so can everyone else around the lake. Your "fun" isn't the same as everyone else and using tower speakers just tells me you don't give a rip about anyone but yourself. Worse yet is when they play music with vulgar language.  I don't want to hear it, and my elementary aged children don't need to hear it either. 

Why do you need music while you are behind the boat anyway?  Are you so shallow that you cannot live without music for the length of your set?  You can enjoy the moment without music - in fact it might surprise you how enjoyable the moment is. 

1 hour ago, sic0048 said:

I will upset people by saying this, but if you use tower speakers you are a douchebag.

If you can hear the music while surfing/skiing/wakeboarding etc so can everyone else around the lake. Your "fun" isn't the same as everyone else and using tower speakers just tells me you don't give a rip about anyone but yourself. Worse yet is when they play music with vulgar language.  I don't want to hear it, and my elementary aged children don't need to hear it either. 

Why do you need music while you are behind the boat anyway?  Are you so shallow that you cannot live without music for the length of your set?  You can enjoy the moment without music - in fact it might surprise you how enjoyable the moment is. 

Who are you to judge? Why so rigid?

There is a reasonable volume & time. And laws that are way more reasonable than you.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sic0048 said:

Lol! Boats should be about fun however you define that.  If tower speakers bother you that bad I bet there is a local pond with paddle boats you could relax on with no speakers in sight

• Like 4

You have two very valid points here.

There are the people who hover in one public spot with a CRAZY stereo and play awful music.

And then there's the people who go out to the middle of the lake and play music on tower speakers loud enough to be heard but not overly loud. All appropriate, family friendly tunes. 

It really just depends on how you use them, it's like many things in life. If used the right way, it causes no problem but when used poorly things go bad.

• Like 1

I would like to suggest to the mods that this thread is about ready to be closed.  Good discussions for the most part.  But no need for anyone to be upset and continued beating of the horse could lead there.  

I don't have a tower, lol.  But I am a selfish douchebag.  My stereo is loud but not like tower speakers.   Just something about listening to music while in a boat that is fun and fumes smell better with music. But I will agree that paying my taxes today got me all cranky.   And for that tranquil water setting, I go whitewater rafting or sailing on a lake that restricts motor sports.   Or I could just blast ya some Enya, lol.   

Edited by Shastasurf
  • Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, sic0048 said:

You don't have an artist or a group of songs that you love and give you goosebumps just thinking about the last live performance you saw of them? Or gives you motivation when times are tough? Or fires you up before a game, ski, surf, wake set? 

Idk about you but music means a lot to me and a lot of other people on this world. 

Like everyone has said in this thread there is a time and a place. Also I think the majority of us agree on the vulgar language. And yes, there are those people that have tower speakers that blow out the whole lake with terrible nickelback or language filled songs. And they are d bags. But the same can be said for the one guy who skis too close to fishermen, or yells at a boat for driving by the slalom course even though it's a public lake, or the surfer who surfs too close to docks or in the wrong direction. Or the guy who cuts you off in traffic and makes you slam on your brakes. 

• Like 2

For all those people that think I'm being selfish, rigid, and unreasonable because of my post.......

Do you not see the irony???

Seriously???

Every time you use tower speakers so your 1 rider can hear music, you are disturbing the peace of everyone else around you that's on or near the lake.  Let that sink in a minute......

Edited by sic0048

I see the irony in that your creating electronic noise that obviously some here don't want to hear.

Every time you drive down the road, you create noise, carbon monoxide, or whatever else that effects other people in some way..... which at a certain level & certain time of day is considered acceptable by reasonable people.

And to be calling people names..... yea, thats acceptable in most any circle.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1
Just now, Bill_AirJunky said:

I see the irony in that your creating electronic noise that obviously some here don't want to hear.

Every time you drive down the road, you create noise, carbon monoxide, or whatever else that effects other people in some way..... which at a certain level & certain time of day is considered acceptable by reasonable people.

So I'm a douchbag for creating "electronic noise" that some don't want to hear, but those people that use tower speakers that are creating actual noise that some don't want to hear are OK and not douchbags?  I just want to make sure I understand correctly......

I'm not trying to be "that guy" and try to have the last word on this subject.  I certainly don't have to reply to every comment on a forum that is directed at me.  But wow, that comment had to be replied to.......

11 hours ago, sic0048 said:

I've also experienced the opposite.  Doing some yard work, then hear the music approaching from far away, and watch some body throw down some nice board grabs while listening to some stuff I have on my same play list.  And just stop, with the rake in hand, turn and watch what they do, and watch them go around the bend out of site.  Then think "OK, I gotta get this stuff done and get out there too" in envy.

It's all a matter of perception.  A person can be a douchebag for looking at something narrow mindedly too.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, sic0048 said:

So I'm a douchbag for creating "electronic noise" that some don't want to hear, but those people that use tower speakers that are creating actual noise that some don't want to hear are OK and not douchbags?  I just want to make sure I understand correctly......

I'm not trying to be "that guy" and try to have the last word on this subject.  I certainly don't have to reply to every comment on a forum that is directed at me.  But wow, that comment had to be replied to.......

I never called you anything. I was clarifying the irony I saw that you brought to my attention.

ahopkins22LSV
23 minutes ago, sic0048 said:

Man I hope you live on a private lake with no one else using your water. I can't imagine what your reaction would be if someone were to disturb the water and your life with a bit of music and some waves. 

You realize your 2004 response is an inboard with a very throaty exhaust right? Better find a way to make that silent as you disturb everyone around your with your go fast boat. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 2

I have 2 boats - a '94 Echelon closed bow with a 454, and a '94 Echelon LX with a 388.  The LX has the upgraded stereo.  I've got a buyer for the 454 boat, and I took it out for the "first spring run" yesterday.  It has the stock speakers, but with a newer head unit.  It sounds like crap, and because of that the ride wasn't as much fun.  Good sounding music is more fun.  Just like pretty scenery, nice smells, etc.  Ears are one of your sensory organs and it just creates a better experience when they are stimulated properly.  I guess.