Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereos in boats. Anyone else not see the real need?

sunvalleylaw

6 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

In what way?  Please go ahead and share your views.  

I will not give credence to such blasphemy.

pun intended.

• Like 3

I have a "live and let live" attitude. A bit of loud music never hurt anyone, and in general boats are moving so you don't have to hear it for long. Probably the only exception to this is early in the am, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone cranking the tunes at 6am.

I like music as background when at the sandbar in the afternoon, when I am sunset cruising (idle speed), and between ski sets if I'm with music lovers.

the volume never is "loud", unless there is a specific song that catches our fancy-when which our singing is probably more annoying than the music. When it comes to singing, what we lack in talent we make up for in volume and enthusiasm.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

On a big desert lake with nobody within a mile or more, yeah man I love rockin it the f out.  

When we visit smaller or urbanized lakes, of course not.

Pretty sure I can count at least five of the nine circles of hell in @ahopkinsTXi's pics.

:lol: You are right, there are some things that are there that cannot be un-seen. :shocked:

9 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Haha that is only twice a year. It's always a bit of a party but not like that every weekend. The events are jobbie nooner and raft off on lake st Clair. Google those at your own risk. I have taken my TXi out there. Just have to take the back canals in that the big boats can't get through. 

That looks like a good time to go to in someone else's boat, with someone else driving!

Reminds me of our local annual pub pedal.  About 1000 bikes doing a 7 mile pub crawl.  It's a drunken mess, but an absolute blast:

Last year my wife and I were biking behind another guy, small lane to get thru all the parked bikes on the sidewalk across from bars/businesses.  As we are all traveling along, a guy from the bar terrace reaches out to hand the guy on the bike in front of us a jello shot.  He grabs it, but loses control, and smashes into the parked bikes, which domino over for like 40 feet and him in entwined in them.  One of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life.

Shortly after, we pull up to a brewery.  It's like 2pm.  There's a girl hugging a street light, head down.  We are passing her and as I turn around to say to my wife "that doesn't look good" she spews, and 20 people are in the brewery window cheering her on.  Felt a little bad for her, but I'm sure her "friends" in the bar took care of her.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

UEBoom2's will not do it for me, but a $4k system is not necessary.  I

Yah, I like good sound.  I have a classic semi-audiophile system at home (in additions the the Sonos that my wife really likes and is convenient for background).  I have no problem with wanting nice sound other than imposing it on everyone else, especially with the "look at me" attitude.  OTOH, I guess I would not choose to spend even $600 on stuff that is installed permanently in my boat.  I do intend, however, to have (LOL!) 2 yes 2 UEBoom2's so I can stick one each in the side netting and run them in stereo.  :) They do get pretty loud.  Certainly enough for the deep water swims (which I like too) and at shore time.    Part of this is because of my childhood and young adult (into my thirties, and still when we go back to home of origin) boating history on the salt water, which is typically not kind to electronics in small boats.  Never had a stereo in a boat that really worked.  

EDIT: Oh, and then I can use them at work in stereo for work tunes.  Mostly jazz, classical or instrumental when I am working on projects, but I can rock out once in a while.  Yesterday was Foo Fighters day.  But I try not to bug the other office mates if people are there.  Thanks God on Fridays, people rarely are there.  I keep a guitar amp and a guitar at work too for breaks when I can.  But again, do not play it so I can be heard outside my own office unless no one is around.

But, as I ask you not to overly impose your tunes on me if we are out on the same lake, or I am camping on shore, I will not impose my views regarding tunes in the boat on you, or others. :cheers:

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Many on our crew enjoy listening to their own playlist when it is their turn behind the boat, more so surfing than wakeboarding. Our time on the water is all about FUN, we enjoy our tunes and my boat is loud. 

To each their own.... 

All good if you don't impose that on everyone else at the lake.  

I am a huge fan of music.  Take my UE Boom to the golf course, and play it just loud enough for me while walking, or loud enough for two in a cart.  Love to turn up the music in the boat, but really wish there was a way to keep the music/sound totally inside the boat - have no desire whatsoever for anyone outside the boat to have to listen to what I am playing.  Have not had tower speakers on the last two boats - and am generally annoyed at how loud most peoples' systems are for people inside the boat, in order to have any chance of people wakeboarding even hearing them.

The main blessing for me is that at any speed other than floating, I don't care about (or can't distinguish well enough) the "quality" of the system - too much wind, engine, water, people talking, noise for me to tell if it's a basic system, or my friends $7K system.  The quest for the best "boat stereo system" has always seemed a little off to me, since I personally can put on a pair of under $200 headphones and feel like I am getting better sound quality than the best system I have ever heard in an open moving boat.  

But that is just me.  If a great boat stereo system is your passion, and building it, buying it or listening to it it makes you happy, that's great.  I will happily come ride with you, bring my playlist, and try to hijack your bluetooth.  Cause I am sure I like my playlist better than yours, no matter what.

• Like 1

One other point explaining my position.  Something about my brain hates it when two types of music or two songs are playing at once.  Like when our land line (which has a song as a ring tone) rings when I am listening to music on my stereo at home.  Drives me crazy.  That party that @ahopkinsTXi posted must have truly been one of the 5 circles of hell @shawndoggy mentioned in that regard.

The party @Bill_AirJunky posted would have been fun, if the boats took turns on the playlists so they were not competing.  And were out in their own space not pounding the shore at the campsite where  some young family had toddlers on the beach or whatever.  

2 minutes ago, malibudog said:

I am a huge fan of music.  Take my UE Boom to the golf course, and play it just loud enough for me while walking, or loud enough for two in a cart.  Love to turn up the music in the boat, but really wish there was a way to keep the music/sound totally inside the boat - have no desire whatsoever for anyone outside the boat to have to listen to what I am playing.  Have not had tower speakers on the last two boats - and am generally annoyed at how loud most peoples' systems are for people inside the boat, in order to have any chance of people wakeboarding even hearing them.

The main blessing for me is that at any speed other than floating, I don't care about (or can't distinguish well enough) the "quality" of the system - too much wind, engine, water, people talking, noise for me to tell if it's a basic system, or my friends $7K system.  The quest for the best "boat stereo system" has always seemed a little off to me, since I personally can put on a pair of under $200 headphones and feel like I am getting better sound quality than the best system I have ever heard in an open moving boat.  

But that is just me.  If a great boat stereo system is your passion, and building it, buying it or listening to it it makes you happy, that's great.  I will happily come ride with you, bring my playlist, and try to hijack your bluetooth.  Cause I am sure I like my playlist better than yours, no matter what.

Love this.  Except my playlists are clearly better. 

Edited by sunvalleylaw
17 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

One other point explaining my position.  Something about my brain hates it when two types of music or two songs are playing at once.  Like when our land line (which has a song as a ring tone) rings when I am listening to music on my stereo at home.  Drives me crazy. 

All the more reason to make sure yours is louder

• Like 2

Ok, I'll piss some more people off now.  (not really meaning to do that, just shooting the s***e :) ) Same thing goes for Harley exhausts.  We live in a small mountain town and Harley riders love to come through here on the way to some pretty sweet touring roads.  The exhausts on those things do not seem like they should be legal.  I am glad you enjoy your 2000 pound vibrator.  But I really don't need to enjoy it with you. ;) 

(if I did ride motorbikes, I would be dirt biking, or on a sport bike.)

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
57 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

That looks like a good time to go to in someone else's boat, with someone else driving!

That is the best way to go! If you trust that other person. Getting in and out can be a bit dicey!

We normally go on my friends boat. There are 3-4 of us who are very experienced with handling a 30'+ boat. So other can have fun and we just take care of everything. Then one of us is always OK to leave at the end of the day. Key is also to be able to sense the party and leave 30 minutes before the mass exit happens.

4 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

That is the best way to go! If you trust that other person. Getting in and out can be a bit dicey!

We normally go on my friends boat. There are 3-4 of us who are very experienced with handling a 30'+ boat. So other can have fun and we just take care of everything. Then one of us is always OK to leave at the end of the day. Key is also to be able to sense the party and leave 30 minutes before the mass exit happens.

Seems to me, a decent pontoon boat, or a larger boat (maybe a Tolleycraft??) might be the way to go.  

EDIT:  You could put a bitchin' stereo in an old restored Tollycraft!

Edited by sunvalleylaw
ahopkins22LSV
Just now, sunvalleylaw said:

Seems to me, a decent pontoon boat, or a larger boat (maybe a Tolleycraft??) might be the way to go.  

EDIT:  You could put a bitchin' stereo in an old restored Tollycraft!

There is everything out there. From 12' john boats to 55' cruisers, to 150mph go fasts, to Malibu TXi's ;)

Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

There is everything out there. From 12' john boats to 55' cruisers, to 150mph go fasts, to Malibu TXi's ;)

Well, a 13-16 foot Boston Whaler with an outboard would be cool too. And easier on and off the ramp and beach I bet.  And then you could hang on someone else's cool vintage Tollycraft.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw

I love music but I don't see the value of dropping a huge chunk of change on a huge stereo for your boat.  The only time we ever even listen to music is when we're anchored...to crank it loud enough for a surfer or wakeboarder to hear the music is just annoying to me.  I still have the speakers my boat came with and the only reason I've even thought of changing them out is because they've weathered a bit and kinda look like crap.  

putting speakers on an amp is really helpful for being able to hear the stereo underway.  It's not necessarily that the speakers will sound louder, it's that at a volume that's reasonable to hear the speakers underway, the sound coming from the speakers will be clearer and thus more pleasant.  Speakers running off of the HU which are tapped out playing while the boat is underway generally sound like they are at the limit of performance (and are probably distorting because the HU just has no more to give).  It can feel "loud" and also a little excruciating. Well powered speakers will just sound "powerful" without as much of the perception of "loud" (distorted/tapped out) at reasonable listening levels.  

loud and crappy sounds a lot worse than loud and clear.  Of course loud and clear can also be taken to the level of annoying everyone within a 3/4 mile radius, but that's not the kind of loud I'm talking about.... I'm referring to loud enough to hear well in the boat.  @Michigan boarder's modest system is a great example.

Also anybody who says they just care about having the stereo be loud enough while underway to hear it, really needs to install a pair of cabin speakers for the captain.  I've been beating that drum for a while, and I'm glad to see some other folks are giving it a shot.  @Slurpee has certainly gone "next level" on the concept.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 3

I get it @sunvalleylaw. And I'm a former pro installer and audio competitor. Love music to the point it gives me goosebumps at times and still have thousands of dollars (many thousands) spread out between our cars. A few more in the house and garage. I'm even building speaker boxes and a test bench in my tool box's top hutch today. But I've always enjoyed my music with my windows UP. And I turn it down when I drive through residential areas even with the windows up. As much as I appreciate music, I can appreciate m surroundings just as much. Boating is that time for me. A splashing fisher or otter, kids laughing while playing, other boats engines as they roar by, our own engine when it's our turn, etc. I don't always need music on and up. Everything has it's time and place and on our quiet northwoods lakes I don't find it to be either almost all of the time.

The golf course comment got me laughing. It reminded me of the goofy videos with the hype man following behind someone playing their personal soundtrack. 

My boat is just a deck and four. Keep thinking of adding a 5 channel amp and sub, but we only use it for background music when idling or stopped. When underway it's pointless. Just like the Harleys. The exhaust is one thing, but the stereos on them are the worst. Cranking your tinny 80s hair band or country music while revving your bike to keep it running at a stop light is just sad and annoying.

Edited by jk13
  • Like 3
31 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

putting speakers on an amp is really helpful for being able to hear the stereo underway.  It's not necessarily that the speakers will sound louder, it's that at a volume that's reasonable to hear the speakers underway, the sound coming from the speakers will be clearer and thus more pleasant.  Speakers running off of the HU which are tapped out playing while the boat is underway generally sound like they are at the limit of performance (and are probably distorting because the HU just has no more to give).  It can feel "loud" and also a little excruciating. Well powered speakers will just sound "powerful" without as much of the perception of "loud" (distorted/tapped out) at reasonable listening levels.  

loud and crappy sounds a lot worse than loud and clear.  Of course loud and clear can also be taken to the level of annoying everyone within a 3/4 mile radius, but that's not the kind of loud I'm talking about.... I'm referring to loud enough to hear well in the boat.  @Michigan boarder's modest system is a great example.

Also anybody who says they just care about having the stereo be loud enough while underway to hear it, really needs to install a pair of cabin speakers for the captain.  I've been beating that drum for a while, and I'm glad to see some other folks are giving it a shot.  @Slurpee has certainly gone "next level" on the concept.

I love the fact that my stereo is crystal clear even when at cruising speed with a V-8 about a foot from the driver seat in my Am. Skier.  The downside is the sub takes up most of the room for my feet under the helm.  First-world trade offs.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

Thanks.  Something I've liked the idea of is overhead cabin speakers (i.e down firing).  It's certainly a really good position for a speaker obviously.  I saw something that sort of looked like that on Centurions at the boat show, but the pods looked like they'd take some getting used to.  I kind of had a more elegant look in my imagination when thinking of the idea, but I still like the concept.  I hope they keep working it.  Still, with a good implementation using a DSP I feel like with the captains speakers and the rest of the boat's cabin speakers we've got a really solid clear sound system even when under way at speed. 

19 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

Thanks.  Something I've liked the idea of is overhead cabin speakers (i.e down firing).  It's certainly a really good position for a speaker obviously.  I saw something that sort of looked like that on Centurions at the boat show, but the pods looked like they'd take some getting used to.  I kind of had a more elegant look in my imagination when thinking of the idea, but I still like the concept.  I hope they keep working it.  Still, with a good implementation using a DSP I feel like with the captains speakers and the rest of the boat's cabin speakers we've got a really solid clear sound system even when under way at speed. 

That concept, and captain's speakers in general, sounds to me like rock band monitors for the band.  And you don't need huge Marshall half or full stacks any more due to proper mics and proper use of a good PA.  Get your tone out of an amp that is reasonable on stage, and then feed it into the PA to be distributed to the crowd.  And then monitors help the band hear themselves.  Much better on the hearing.  So you would have some speakers that serve like band monitors for the captain, and other speakers that put the sound out to the rest.  Interesting stuff.

So, wanted to give a shout out and say that I appreciate that I can feel comfortable to discuss stuff like this, where there might be differing points of view, already, after being a member for less than a year.  You folk are a good lot.  And I learned some things also in this thread about some differing views, and also how to properly set up a nice system to do what it is supposed to do.  Cheers and happy Friday!

PS, I still am not installing a big system in my boat, and will likely get annoyed if someone is blasting at huge volumes near campsites or at inappropriate times.  But I understand a bit more now as well.

Edited by sunvalleylaw

For me, I like quality over volume.   On my last boat, I upgraded the system (better than stock, but was not a PA stack for a rock band).   At low/medium volume, it sounded fantastic (4 cabin speakers, sub under the bench, no tower speakers tho).   I never "cranked" it although when I anchored, I did have movable speakers that I would turn out towards the water where we were hanging out.   

The way I looked at it, it was there to entertain me, and any guests I had with me, not the rest of the lake. 

I dont mind when others would join us in the cove and play music relatively loud, although there were a few times where the music was so loud and distorted that I could not carry on a normal conversation in the cabin of my boat, or even hear my music clearly at a reasonable volume.   To me, that is rude, and if it went on for any length of time, I would pull up anchor and just move somewhere else.   I will never understand the mentality of cranking up the volume above distortion levels, it just makes it noise IMHO.

I think it will be interesting to see how we choose to use the wetsounds in the new VLX.    I can guarantee that it will not be loud enough to distort,  and I dont ever see myself having it loud enough to disturb others in the cove, or on shore, but having the cans on the tower will definitely project more than my cabin speakers ever did.

• Like 2