Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Actual boat weight

ChainSetter

I wanted my actual boat weight when loaded to see how much room I have for permanent ballast.  I called Malibu who told me the listed weight was without tower, batteries, stereo.  Basically that weight reflects fiber glass and motor.  Just for the curious its a 2015 247 with the Monsoon 410. G3 tower, 2 series 24 batteries and a full tank of gas.  The boat was 5240 lbs and the trailer was dead on 1500 lbs.  The listed weight for that boat is 4650lbs. Weighed at the local gravel pit

My new RI257 is listed on the MSO's at 6150 dry weight and 1600 trailer. Scaled boat and trailer with ONLY a full tank of fuel... 9400 lbs. 

I previously owned a 247 and it was grossly overweight also. Weighed it Lake ready, full tank and gear 7180lbs. No wonder it busted axles when the trailer was built on 2 , 3400 lb axles . 

I WISH these guys would give ACTUAL weights , but I have a nagging suspicion it has some to do with some sort of liability BS.

what year was your 247? Either we have diff boats or scales. Or very different amounts of gear. The 7180lbs was with trailer I assume?  My weight was 6740 with full boat and trailer only

18 minutes ago, Bawshogg said:

No wonder it busted axles when the trailer was built on 2 , 3400 lb axles . 

I hate how thin the margins are on many trailers, especially the underrated tires that come on the underrated axles.  I have a 10k-rated 5x10 dump trailer, but I special ordered it with all 14k+rated parts, including the tires and axles.  It is literally impossible to actually overload, and I have tried.

Similarly, I added up the weight-rating on the stock tires on my 36' travel trailer, and I had like 5 lbs. to spare on the dry-weight rating.  So I threw them away and went from load range D to load range G rated tires.  Anyone who has had a blow out on a big trailer likely won't forget it.   

I don't get the playing-with-fire attitude on the axles and tires when most people are obviously going to add weight to the boat and tow it at some point.   Its nuts.

Edited by jjackkrash
49 minutes ago, ChainSetter said:

I wanted my actual boat weight when loaded to see how much room I have for permanent ballast.  I called Malibu who told me the listed weight was without tower, batteries, stereo.  Basically that weight reflects fiber glass and motor.  Just for the curious its a 2015 247 with the Monsoon 410. G3 tower, 2 series 24 batteries and a full tank of gas.  The boat was 5240 lbs and the trailer was dead on 1500 lbs.  The listed weight for that boat is 4650lbs. Weighed at the local gravel pit

Now go check the weight rating on your trailer axles, tongue, tires, etc.  My last 2 boats have been on triples for this reason.   

Yes a blow lot at 60 Mph is no bueno!  Been there done that got that tshirt!

28 minutes ago, Bawshogg said:

My new RI257 is listed on the MSO's at 6150 dry weight and 1600 trailer. Scaled boat and trailer with ONLY a full tank of fuel... 9400 lbs. 

I previously owned a 247 and it was grossly overweight also. Weighed it Lake ready, full tank and gear 7180lbs. No wonder it busted axles when the trailer was built on 2 , 3400 lb axles . 

I WISH these guys would give ACTUAL weights , but I have a nagging suspicion it has some to do with some sort of liability BS.

I know it's rude to talk about a ladies weight, but "Marge" has a big oh butt!  When mine pulled they weighed just the bottom,  so no stringers, nothing just the bottom hull, 2000 lbs!  

17 minutes ago, ChainSetter said:

what year was your 247? Either we have diff boats or scales. Or very different amounts of gear. The 7180lbs was with trailer I assume?  My weight was 6740 with full boat and trailer only

I had a large stereo system in mine , 6 towers, BIG sub setup and 5 amps, bigger batteries , ect. I'm sure that accounted for some extra weight. Boat was a 2012. It also had full custom ballast system with extra pumps all plumbed in.

I can't fathom why these trailer builders don't allow for an extra 1500lbs or so just for safety sake. 

8 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

On a related note, my weigh safe hitch came today, I am looking forward to knowing exact tongue weights everytime I tow.  

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Weigh-Safe/WS6-2.html?feed=npn&gclid=CNDR9uXEoNMCFQiUfgodxMsLLQ

I looked at those , but none had the capacity and raise I needed for my new setup. 2.5" reciever.  I need a 7" rise , but it can't be longer or the extension piece will hit my tailgate if opened

I REALLY like that concept though.  I actually met the guy that designed those things and he was showing me them before they were ever released. GREAT idea. 

Edited by Bawshogg

I literally just pulled the weigh safe out of the box.  It is really slick, looks awesome, and I think its going to work great.  It sucks they don't make one that works for you.  

There is a long thread on the Nautique forum about tow weights. Nautique is the only manufacturer who quotes a boats weight fully optioned. That's why a G23 is a 5800lb boat. In my area I see a constant stream of boats being towed by vehicles that have no business in front of the boat. Most people look at the max trailer towing rating on their vehicle and think they are good to go. They don't bother taking all the reductions required for the bigger tires almost always optioned on a vehicle and the type of hitch. Trucks often take a huge hit down to 5000 lbs if it's not a WDH which are almost never used for boats. Keep in mind engine power is not what determines tow capacity. It's the ability to emergency stop and brake.

^ I don't know about that....... my G23 weighed in at 8450 when I towed it home from the dealer. It was full of fuel, but had no gear in it at all. I haven't weighed this actual trailer, but I have weighed a couple other tandem boat mate trailers, and they were 1400-1600 lbs.

I think Nautique probably lists the weight with the tower, but no options. By the time you get a couple 12" subs, 3 amps, 8 6.5s, 4 tower speakers, heater, Bimini, etc. on the boat, it is closer to 6500, plus 400lbs of fuel, plus 1600lb trailer.