Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maliview Gauge Screen

Jackfishmerc

My 2011 VLX Maliview gauge screen has gone dim, almost like the night dimming is on constantly. During the day I cannot see the screen controls.  Malibu dealer said to try installing updates, replacing the video cable and if that doesn't work, then a new screen at $2,300.  OUCH!  Any ideas?

The screens are naturally dim, that's why they have an LED backlight.  The LED backlight is prone to failure.  One LED in the string going bad will open it and kill all the light from that string.  If there's one string - no light at all.  Also, and I hate to say this because it's my particular discipline, the power supplies for these things go bad.  It's nearly always the power supply or a part of it in electronics that "breaks" them.  Typically an electrolytic cap getting to the end of it's life.  

Lets hope you're lucky.  Re-seat the plug a few times to the unit to try and clean any corrosion off and get a good circuit again.  Trying a new cable all together isn't a bad idea, but seat it several times to scrape any crud that may be on the mating pins off before giving up on that.  Lastly... has it been particularly damp and/or cold lately?  That can play havoc with electronics if any voids opened up in the potted or conformal coated electronics and normal moisture got in there and condensed.  It may very well recover after it dries out.  Eventually that scenario will cause a permanent failure though.

Otherwise, a really cheap part in the glass module is gonna stick you.  In 2011 I believe Medallion was using the industrial grade glass (and when I say glass I mean the whole module: glass, circuit board, backlight, etc) which is supposed to have a guaranteed long life production run (so that you can buy that $2300 replacement rather than have no options at all) and be significantly more rugged than whats in your average TV or white goods device.  Try the cable and cross your fingers.  See if insurance will cover it as well.  Deductible might be cheaper than that bill.

• 5 years later...

Hi, sorry to be so late. But we had this issue for a few years. We were able to solve it by taking it to a small electronic repair shop. The LED backlight strings seem to go on these. The buttons all worked but we could not see what they were doing. We took ours to Ducktoes Calgary. But I suspect any electronic repair shop worth their weight in geldings could do it for you. Good luck! We were jumping up and down to fix it as a new one is like $4500 Canadian now and we paid $300 to repair it.

• 8 months later...

Quick questions for Jgf042 or others, any help from the extended team is much appreciated... I am having same issue with my main screen(10 button, non-touch) in upper center of the dash, the buttons seem to work but the screen is too dim to see the controls. I wanted to confirm with you that the new LED Light String did fix the issue? Also, was Ducktoes able to test the fix was working when it was in their possession and it was not connected to the boat. I spoke to a local electronics place and they said they were not sure they would be able to test it when it was not connected to the boat and I am not sure if they are qualified technicians. Lastly, how did you remove the screen from the dash, i.e. it is buried in upper dash, is there a portion of the dash you had to remove to get it out?