Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Infinite baffle question (AKA -- did I screw up?)

Fffrank

Hey guys!  I read somewhere on the forum that I could fit a pair of Wet Sounds XS808 in my cabin speaker locations (2004 23LSV).  I didn't take photos, but here is the spot I'm talking about:

SApfXhc.jpg

I didn't believe it, so I measured.  It seemed like it would work.  So I ordered speakers.  And they arrived and I used the template to cut the holes and then realized.... even though the hole fits on that panel, the outside dimension of the speakers is too large.

But.... since I had already removed a piece of my boat, I figured I'd just keep cutting and eventually they would fit.  The good news?  I got them installed and they look awesome.  The bad news?  I've added some unnecessary "ventilation" on the top side of the speaker.  It's not visible since it's hidden behind/under the upholstery panel, but it does eliminate the "seal" that the speaker would normally create.  The speaker is mounted solid.

I haven't fully tuned it but my quick test listen made me feel like I wasn't getting as much mid-bass as I should.  Did I screw the pooch on this one?  Or is infinite baffle truly infinite?

PS -- XS808s do not fit in this location.  Don't do it.

So....all speakers (whether IB or not) need complete front to rear isolation....especially surrounding the speaker at such a near distance. You'll just have to invent a means of sealing up that gap with a method/material that is rigid.    

This was 

6 minutes ago, David said:

So....all speakers (whether IB or not) need complete front to rear isolation....especially surrounding the speaker at such a near distance. You'll just have to invent a means of sealing up that gap with a method/material that is rigid.    

This was the exact what-if panic that was going through my head during my morning commute.  Looks like I'm going to have to get creative with some fiberglass.