Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone here use Perfect Pass/Z-box with their late 90's Response?

sunvalleylaw

Considering it for mine at some point.  Wondering what the experience of The Crew has been.  Zero Off is not really an option without re-powering, or at least significantly modifying my Monsoon, because ZO requires electronic drive by wire throttles, which the older late 09's Responses did not have.

I installed Perfect Pass on my 1999 Sunsetter LXI last fall.  I'm very happy with it, and more importantly so is my driver (my wife).  I went ahead and ordered the Z-Box upgrade since it was cheaper to order them both at the same time, but haven't installed it yet as I'm not good enough to need at this time. 

On lakes with short setups for the course, Stargazer has had overrunning issues at times both with and without Z-box.  If you have a nice long setup or are using it for public water, I've heard the Zbox does a great job emulating ZO.

• Like 1

You really need to take into account how you intend to really use the system and what your needs are. 

If you are going to be Serious skier  meaning you are running the course  frequently or in real competitions, Then you really have no other good option  except for "perfect pass."    because  as you said Zero off  is not feasible because it will require a re-power  

you could take a less expensive option like I did.

We do a lot of free skiing  but I do ski the course once in a while too ... however I do not compete.      my 2006 response lxi  did not have zero off nor perfect pass on it when I  bought it,   however it did come with  "Malibu cruise"    This is a basic cruise control system.  that does not have all the bells and whistles as perfect pass or Zero off..    I was not really happy with Malibu cruise at first ,  as  there was slow to respond to speed changes and was over compensating  at times.    But then I added a device  that cost about 150 dollars...  (I cant remember the name of it right now) that overrode the signal from the paddle wheel with a GPS  signal. Suddenly  that cruise system  came alive and really worked well for me   to the point where people think I have perfect pass  and are surprised when they learn otherwise..      

If

Just now, tccombs said:

You really need to take into account how you intend to really use the system and what your needs are. 

If you are going to be Serious skier  meaning you are running the course  frequently or in real competitions, Then you really have no other good option  except for "perfect pass."    because  as you said Zero off  is not feasible because it will require a re-power  

you could take a less expensive option like I did.

We do a lot of free skiing  but I do ski the course once in a while too ... however I do not compete.      my 2006 response lxi  did not have zero off nor perfect pass on it when I  bought it,   however it did come with  "Malibu cruise"    This is a basic cruise control system.  that does not have all the bells and whistles as perfect pass or Zero off..    I was not really happy with Malibu cruise at first ,  as  there was slow to respond to speed changes and was over compensating  at times.    But then I added a device  that cost about 150 dollars...  (I cant remember the name of it right now) that overrode the signal from the paddle wheel with a GPS  signal. Suddenly  that cruise system  came alive and really worked well for me   to the point where people think I have perfect pass  and are surprised when they learn otherwise..      

If

Nautic-logic?

27 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

On lakes with short setups for the course, Stargazer has had overrunning issues at times both with and without Z-box.  If you have a nice long setup or are using it for public water, I've heard the Zbox does a great job emulating ZO.

This is how we would use it mostly, though I have to see how they set up the course at Magic to see how the return set up would be.  I would not use it on the private lakes I can go to, though they have long set ups anyway.  It would be more to have the boat feel like a zero off boat so my skiing would stay consistent.  Probably won't spend the money on that and will spend it on coaching instead for now.  We have an older cruise system called BTS or SL Cruise.  Rathbun used it in Acapulco back in the day I think.  Probably good enough for me unless I start getting real serious.  I would love to enter my first comp this year, after getting an AWSA number and all that.  But one step at a time.  Those comps are probably in August/September I think.  And of course, my boat will not be pulling there.