Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Response LXi (Road trip)

powbmps

Awesome!  I also traveled to pick up a boat, last year.  Nice looking boat!  I would love to see a pic or two after you are able to get it out on the water!

PS, blue over white is a great color combo.  Love the look!  Classic.

And personally, I like it with the tower off.  But, YMMV, and you do what YOU and your family enjoys.

Edited by sunvalleylaw

You went further than I did last summer for our 05. Looks great. We love ours and ran into the same issues finding one we wanted. When it came up we jumped and I drove to Kentucky to pick it up. Two day round trip.

I haven't gone on a road trip like that in 19 years.  Wouldn't have happened if my buddy wasn't so gung-ho about going with me.  Getting too old for these kinds of shenanigans :biggrin:.

Won't be surfing or wakeboarding so the tower is going on Craigslist a.s.a.p.  Trying to decide the best way to fill in the holes. 

Just need to sell the 95 and I'll be good to go (and my wife will be much happier).  

Edited by powbmps
  • Like 3

I'm glad there are other people who do trips like this.  I want a boat for the big waves on Tahoe and found one I like in Colorado...the Response LXi isn't a fan of big waves.  You will love the boat.  Where did you rent an SUV with a receiver?  I was thinking of renting a Uhaul, but would prefer an SUV?

1 minute ago, thethrillofspeed said:

I'm glad there are other people who do trips like this.  I want a boat for the big waves on Tahoe and found one I like in Colorado...the Response LXi isn't a fan of big waves.  You will love the boat.  Where did you rent an SUV with a receiver?  I was thinking of renting a Uhaul, but would prefer an SUV?

Not sure where the OP rented his SUV but try Enterprise for an SUV or truck with receiver. You may have to specifically ask for their truck rental desk but I've rented a RAM 2500 crew cab and a Tahoe from 2 different Enterprise locations in the last year, and both had receivers. For the RAM, they specifically knew I was going to be towing and didn't have a problem with it.

Some rental agencies will put a locking pin through the receiver to prevent using it for towing, but Enterprise hasn't done that so far.

19 minutes ago, thethrillofspeed said:

I don't know if any of the companies will allow towing boats with their vehicles.  UHaul and Penske box trucks come with tow hitches, but some auto insurance policies may not cover moving vehicles.  One could rent a "Large SUV" from any of the popular companies.  Tahoe, Suburban, Sequoia, Armada and Expedition all come standard from the factory with 2" receivers and wiring.  Maybe not the heavy-duty package, but plenty for most ski/surf boats.

Not sure if a tow hitch and ball is TSA approved for a carry-on though.

I averaged a whopping 11.3 miles per gallon over the entire trip, but the gas bill was still under $300.  The rental vehicle was $470 for two days.  $215 for a non-stop, one-way plane ticket.  So ~$1,000. In my opinion, it was well worth it.

Edited by powbmps

Here are a couple of interior shots.  Pretty subdued color scheme.  The majority of the exterior seems to be off white.  Not faded or discolored, but a very light tan.  I've got a couple dash emblems and a new steering wheel on order.  Hard to tell in the photo, but the soft portions of the rim are totally broken down and feel nasty.  All four of the large Malibu emblems look like crap, but at $98 each on Bakes, I will figure out some way of cleaning them up myself.  There are some minor scuffs and mildew stains on the vinyl, but only one small tear.  Carpet will take some time to clean up as there are quite a few small grease and rust spots.  No stereo, but we always just use a phone and a bluetooth speaker if we're out cruising around.

Previous owner did the Z-Box upgrade to the Perfect Pass and recently replaced the throttle knob and steering cable.  Rear hatch and some of the cushions have been re-skinned as well (done by Chee, back when he was around).  He also ground the trailing edge of the rudder pretty aggressively.  Interested to see what I think of that once I get some time behind the wheel.  I can't seem to get the hull drain plug out of the front floor compartment.  Not sure how hard I can hammer on it before I damage something.  May just pump the water out and call it good.

20170410_190742.jpg

20170410_190812.jpg

1 hour ago, powbmps said:

Here are a couple of interior shots.  Pretty subdued color scheme.  The majority of the exterior seems to be off white.  Not faded or discolored, but a very light tan.  I've got a couple dash emblems and a new steering wheel on order.  Hard to tell in the photo, but the soft portions of the rim are totally broken down and feel nasty.  All four of the large Malibu emblems look like crap, but at $98 each on Bakes, I will figure out some way of cleaning them up myself.  There are some minor scuffs and mildew stains on the vinyl, but only one small tear.  Carpet will take some time to clean up as there are quite a few small grease and rust spots.  No stereo, but we always just use a phone and a bluetooth speaker if we're out cruising around.

Previous owner did the Z-Box upgrade to the Perfect Pass and recently replaced the throttle knob and steering cable.  Rear hatch and some of the cushions have been re-skinned as well (done by Chee, back when he was around).  He also ground the trailing edge of the rudder pretty aggressively.  Interested to see what I think of that once I get some time behind the wheel.  I can't seem to get the hull drain plug out of the front floor compartment.  Not sure how hard I can hammer on it before I damage something.  May just pump the water out and call it good.

20170410_190742.jpg

20170410_190812.jpg

I personally like your clean and classic colors.  I have a hard time with the disco fever/hot wheels/transformer color schemes of today's boats.  

Mine has a similar scheme.  Here are pics from when I went to purchase it. (click the "Reply to 2016 . . ." to see the post with pics) The prior owner's ski stuff was removed later. I think the off white, almost an ivory, is near identical on our boats.  It is called Moonbeam or something like that according to the original sales slip the seller provided.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
7 hours ago, powbmps said:

Not sure if a tow hitch and ball is TSA approved for a carry-on though.

Definitely not TSA approved. I tried, they said no, thankfully the Mrs had already decided I was an idiot for even trying. She stood there and waited for them to tell me no, only to wait to take the hitch home, and give me a full "told you so"

• Like 3

Beautiful boat!  If you can, I'd collapse and store the tower.  It could make a re-sale much easier in the future.  And you may think "Well, I'm not planning on selling it", but you never know what life throws at you.

We did a similar road trip for my buddies 23LSV, except brought it home in a snow storm.  Blecch.  Still, a great adventure with two friends.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Mine has a similar scheme.  Here are pics from when I went to purchase it. (click the "Reply to 2016 . . ." to see the post with pics) The prior owner's ski stuff was removed later. I think the off white, almost an ivory, is near identical on our boats.  It is called Moonbeam or something like that according to the original sales slip the seller provided.  

That's a nice looking boat.  I was looking to go with the LX, but my wife insisted on the walk-thru.

36 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Beautiful boat!  If you can, I'd collapse and store the tower.  It could make a re-sale much easier in the future.  And you may think "Well, I'm not planning on selling it", but you never know what life throws at you.

Good point.  I was thinking that last night.  It will be stashed in the basement.

• Like 1

U-Haul and Enterprise have NO issue with towing. I was surprised. That is all I use now. I scaled back to just a driver car, and rent a truck each time out. Usually about $35 bucks !!

Congrats on your purchase. I essentially did the same thing, but kept my 95 Sunsetter. I just couldn't part with her. My drive was only 6 hours.

Steve B.

@powbmps:  Congrats on the new toy, you will be very happy with it.  As noted, the Gen1 LXi has an awesome slalom wake.  We have one on our lake and it is a very nice ride.

Not sure you could spend a better day, warm Florida temps, a new boat and a welder from H-F, maybe that first H.S. squeeze for the trip back over your buddy (nothing against him, but hey...).

My two girlfriends.  Wife says one of them has to go :biggrin:.  She approves of the younger (but heavier) model.  

20170415_142403.jpg

Don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at ski boats.  

• Like 3

Looking good!

I wish I would have known you needed a tow. The guy that I UShipped with last year was based out of Florida. Direct (not with uShip) he probably would have been 1500 on that.

uShip takes heavy fees.

Those are some sexy boats in blue or black as the main panel color.  You're going to love it!

Be careful around rollers though.  That gen LXi thinks it's a U-boat.  If I had one, I'd probably get a snap-on bow tonneau for it.  Bow is effectively useless with anyone heavier than 100 lbs up there.

+1 on the "chili dip". It took me a few times burying the bow in incoming surf/wakeboard wakes before I learned.

beautiful boat! I think these have some of the best lines I've ever seen!