Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 first day EPIC FAIL

potterm

So I took delivery of my custom ordered M235.  It turned out amazing!  Boat and wave look epic.  Just one huge catch.  Just 2 hours of run time after taking delivery, there was a loud clunk and the boat started violently shaking.  We were cruising at 25 mph when it happened.  After that, any attempt to go faster than 5 mph felt like the transmission was going blow up.  After making sure there was oil in everything and none in the bilge.  We idled back to my lift.  

I can't completely express my disappointment!  My 2015 23 LSV was at best a lemon and now my M235 is having an even worse start.  Not too mention Malibu's fit and finish is poor.  M235 has the same poor workmanship as my previous A22 and 23 LSV:  loose brackets, hatches that will not stay closed, loose screws, extra hardware in the compartments and bilge.   Not acceptable in a boat that costs this much money.  I expected better.  

Perfect catch marine is coming to pick it up tomorrow.  If it wasn't for their excellent service I would have been done with Malibu 2 boats ago.  

Will post pics of the boat when I'm a bit less upset about it.

22 minutes ago, potterm said:

So I took delivery of my custom ordered M235.  It turned out amazing!  Boat and wave look epic.  Just one huge catch.  Just 2 hours of run time after taking delivery, there was a loud clunk and the boat started violently shaking.  We were cruising at 25 mph when it happened.  After that, any attempt to go faster than 5 mph felt like the transmission was going blow up.  After making sure there was oil in everything and none in the bilge.  We idled back to my lift.  

I can't completely express my disappointment!  My 2015 23 LSV was at best a lemon and now my M235 is having an even worse start.  Not too mention Malibu's fit and finish is poor.  M235 has the same poor workmanship as my previous A22 and 23 LSV:  loose brackets, hatches that will not stay closed, loose screws, extra hardware in the compartments and bilge.   Not acceptable in a boat that costs this much money.  I expected better.  

Perfect catch marine is coming to pick it up tomorrow.  If it wasn't for their excellent service I would have been done with Malibu 2 boats ago.  

Will post pics of the boat when I'm a bit less upset about it.

I hate that man, I feel your pain on the fit and finish. Got mine last week and haven't been able to take her out yet. When dealer did lake test, had to add almost 3 gallons of antifreeze due to factory not even filling heater cores and lines I assume. So I crawled around under neath observers seat tho that heater core when I got boat. And neither clamp was in place and tightened just loose on hoses but wasn't leaking luckily. So took apart behind sub box and they did tighten one clamp out of the two on that heater core. And scraps everywhere. Extra zip ties. Laying everywhere that I wish they had used to put wires up like should be. Everywhere they put non skid stickers is already peeling up due to not cleaning area before putting them on. Very disappointed in quality control. That was one of their selling point on the M235. I'm hoping once I get her on the water that's the only problems I have. 

• Like 2

@potterm @spikew919 gentlemen I am sorry!  It sucks!  You order a toy,  and have so many expectations.  The excitement is almost unbearable, and then some thing doesn't work or breaks.  I have been there,  it is no fun.  

Last year my tranny blew, while one of my buddies was on his first inboard trip.  I had been explaining how awesome they are, and then....yeah.....

I don't know how Malibu does it. I bought a 2016 23 lsv and within a few months I had thousand of dollars in warranty repairs. I now have a 2017 and just after a few weeks, the stereo has issues and the windshield has to be replaced. Both of these warranty repairs are gonna cost Malibu at least a $1000. I am sure there is going to be more issues to come. Thankfully, my boat is still usable.

8 hours ago, tjklein said:

How does the prop look?

Perfect.  I was in the middle of the lake when it happens but was still hoping for something to be wrong with it so I could just change it.  

I had something similar happen and it turned out to be a plastic bag on the prop. You might run it again just to see if the prop snagged something and it came off. 

On the quality subject my 2016 had some issues. So far the 2017 has been perfect with 7 hours on it. I will keep my fingers crossed! 

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Wave?   Don't you have to break in engines any more or do people go to full ballast as soon as it comes off trailer?

Surfing is a stellar break in activity!  As long as you don't do marathon runs.  You run the engine at 75-80% for 5ish minutes then idle back to rider,  so it is a wonderful duty cycle.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Right, like towing a 12000 lb trailer up hill with your brand new pickup

Only if you never exceed 2300 RPM during the pull, don't pull for long period of time +/- 5 min,   then pull over and idle.    So not really the same....

Your break in direction is based on RPM according to the manual.  So as long as you follow the guidelines, there should be NO ISSUE!

Back to the original topic.  Hopefully the dealers can get @potterm and @spikew919 back on the water soon.  

17 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Only if you never exceed 2300 RPM during the pull, don't pull for long period of time +/- 5 min,   then pull over and idle.    So not really the same....

Your break in direction is based on RPM according to the manual.  So as long as you follow the guidelines, there should be NO ISSUE!

Back to the original topic.  Hopefully the dealers can get @potterm and @spikew919 back on the water soon.  

The break in procedures in the manual are pretty simple, not sure where you are getting your info

Break-in Tips

?? Always let engine warm up to normal operating

temperature before accelerating.

?? Avoid fast accelerations and don’t carry (or pull) a

heavy load during this period.

?? If your boat is equipped with ballast tanks, do not use

them during the first 10 hours.

Hate to hear this.  Certainly I would have a bit higher expectations after dropping M money. But will also say I have had very few issues with my 2016 23 LSV.  

Hope you all get resolutions!

Edited by hethj7
Fixed typo
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The break in procedures in the manual are pretty simple, not sure where you are getting your info

Break-in Tips

?? Always let engine warm up to normal operating

temperature before accelerating.

?? Avoid fast accelerations and don’t carry (or pull) a

heavy load during this period.

?? If your boat is equipped with ballast tanks, do not use

them during the first 10 hours.

I am just waiting for the river to get back in the banks and debris to settle out. I have fixed all my issues myself. And will keep on keeping on unless it's major. And I will break in as book says. Even tho it's hard not to fill the ballast for 10 hrs ??‍♂️ Lol

34 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

I am by no means an expert but have mechaniced all my life on anything from race bikes to heavy equipment and even boats, but on every one I can say that in the pic is not where the clamps go on a pressurized cooling system. They got 1 out of 4 correct on the heater cores. That's 25%. I hope they got the ones on the engine right. Is all I hope. I really just don't feel it's my job to have to check them all. Your boat may be perfect and my 2014 vlx had a shorter list than I have found on this boat, but everyone's is not coming out of the factory even close to perfect. My list is way longer than what I posted earlier but I didn't want to sound bitter. I love the boat and will keep it for years I'm sure.  I guess I just expected more from a boat with all the hype and a msrp of 227,450.00. IMG_3979.jpg

Unfortunately with any boat regardless of price there will be items that come up, especially in the first 10 hours.  They are hand built by humans who are not 100% perfect.  Every Malibu I have purchased in the first 10 hours have a few little items that need to be addressed.  My 2017 with only 3 hours on it has had no problems.   This is not to say it will not have any issues down the road before the 20 he service.

Some of the problems new buyers experience is because of poor dealer prep getting the boat ready. I hope they get your issue resolved quickly. Having a sudden vibration develop the OP posted is not really Malibus fault, he could have hit something or a drive trane component could have come loose.  Regardless, I am sure they will get him back on the water quickly.    

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Fman said:

Unfortunately with any boat regardless of price there will be items that come up, especially in the first 10 hours.  They are hand built by humans who are not 100% perfect.  Every Malibu I have purchased in the first 10 hours have a few little items that need to be addressed.   

Totally agree with your overall sentiment, but how hard is it for a QA inspector to follow a basic checklist?!

ahopkins22LSV
20 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Totally agree with your overall sentiment, but how hard is it for a QA inspector to follow a basic checklist?!

Visual inspection by an operator is only about 80% effective.