Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Zero Off to pre-2007 Response

sunvalleylaw

My '98 Response has an old speed control system, the BTS/Cruise.  Seems to work ok, but I am thinking of skiing course more often, and Zero Off is now the standard.  From their site, it works only with 2007 and forward engines with an EControls drive-by-wire engine control unit.  Have any of you 'Bu owners successfully added this to an older 'Bu, or is a re-power necessary?  Not that I am saying I will do this, but am interested in whether it is possible (I am sure it its, with $$$), and what it would take.  

I am not sure how zero off compares, but I put perfect pass stargazer on my last boat.  It can be installed on mechanical throttles.  Of course, I wasn't running the course but it held speed well for wakeboarding.  

14 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I am not sure how zero off compares, but I put perfect pass stargazer on my last boat.  It can be installed on mechanical throttles.  Of course, I wasn't running the course but it held speed well for wakeboarding.  

Not so with zero off.  You have to have the electronic ECM type throttle. 

Zero-off is for a throttle-by-wire setup.  You have a mechanical throttle.  Before you think "I'll just install a throttle-by-wire setup" you should just get that out of your head, as it isn't happening.  The cost & complexity of doing that change means you might as well sell your boat and get a newer one that has throttle-by-wire. 

Get a newer Perfect Pass setup instead.

@sunvalleylaw, send a PM to Jody Seal on ballofspray.  IIRC he does ZO conversions for customers and is very knowledgeable.  That said, I tend to agree with Nitrousbird on this one, as a total repower is required, and its probably easier/cheaper to just sell your boat and get one with the equipment you want.  

Edit:  It looks like Jody responded to a similar thread you started in BOS.  And apparently he say total repower is not required, so you learn something new every day.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 1

Yeah, I started a thread over there also but figured I would post here as this is the Malibu specific forum.  But yes that is the answer.  And JOdy  gave the answer over there.   It can't be done but it is somewhat complex and costly.    Getting a motor and system of a wrecked zero off boat would potentially be better. 

PS, it looks like getting Perfect Pass with the Z-Box addition might be a more cost effective way of doing it without having to mess with the engine much.  

Last year my buddy put perfect pass star gazer wake edition (with new slalom mode) in his '03 Sunsetter LXI.  It was very easy to program to our slalom course and we are happy with how it holds speed in the course. He had no problems with the installation.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rednucleus said:

Last year my buddy put perfect pass star gazer wake edition (with new slalom mode) in his '03 Sunsetter LXI.  It was very easy to program to our slalom course and we are happy with how it holds speed in the course. He had no problems with the installation.

I've got the same in my 05 LSV.  Works great for surf, slalom, and boarding.  Unless you're a river rat I highly recommend the GPS (Stargazer) model.

• Like 1
On 4/9/2017 at 8:29 AM, jjackkrash said:

I don't have ZBox, but I installed Stargazer on my mechanical-throttle American Skier and it works great.  You need to get the RPM base layer for each speed dialed in which is about a 30-60 minute process, but once you do, the times are right on the money and the system is easy to use.  

Edited by jjackkrash