Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 LSV 23 Trailer Tire Recommendations

Tdent450

Brand new 2017 LSV 23, second time out to the lake and we get a blow out. No puctures in the tire, tread separated from the tire and  it just blew out. Damaged the fender on the trailer pretty good. Doesn't surprise me though, trailer came new from the dealer with Ohtsu tires, the cheapest Chinese tires out there. Scratching my head as to why the dealer would put such cheap tires on a brand new $100k boat.  Not blaming the dealer for the tire failure but its just stupid to cheap out on tires on that expensive of a boat. We'll talk to them on Tuesday but I doubt they will do anything about it.  Anyways we will be changing the rest out so we don't end up stranded again. The local Nautique and MB dealer puts these on their trailers. 

http://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nitto-nt420s/p/40263

Anybody had any luck with Nittos? If not any other suggestions? Tire size is 255/55/18.  Any input

I've got similar tires, Pirelli P Zero Nero in a 235x45x17. Initially, i thought it was stupid to run sports car tires, W rated for 168 mph, but they have lasted for a lotta miles. Been to Shasta, Hells Canyon & lots of others, never had one fail.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Your link doesn't work for me.

The only experience I have with Nitto tires is my buddy used them for a while on his truck.  He was VERY unhappy with them as they wore out very quickly.  That said, I don't know of anyone who has ever needed to change trailer tires due to tread-life, instead it is always due to age.

So that probably doesn't help.  If you are suggesting to switch from an ST to a non-ST tire, I think that is a very good way to go, as long as you get something that has appropriate load capacity.  I have considered switching mine out, but I will need to do the wheels as well since my boat came with 14".

Edited by RyanB

I never paid attention to this before but I also have those Ohtsu on mine.  That is probably what Malibu puts on as my dealer didn't make any modifications.  I do t tie much but probably have 1500-2000 miles on them with no issues.  

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Your factory tires have no warranty?  Dealer put on tires, not malibu?  Or did you have dealer swap on big rims?

I'm not sure if they have a warranty or not, i hope so. Honestly it was something we overlooked. Now I know better. We didn't have them swap big rims, I'm assuming that's how the dealer ordered it. We'll find out more on Tuesday, they are closed tomorrow and I'll post back up with what i find out. 

5 hours ago, RyanB said:

Your link doesn't work for me.

The only experience I have with Nitto tires is my buddy used them for a while on his truck.  He was VERY unhappy with them as they worse out very quickly.  That said, I don't know of anyone who has ever needed to change trailer tires due to tread-life, instead it is always due to age.

So that probably doesn't help.  If you are suggesting to switch from an ST to a non-ST tire, I think that is a very good way to go, as long as you get something that has appropriate load capacity.  I have considered switching mine out, but I will need to do the wheels as well since my boat came with 14".

Sorry about the link, its not working for me either. This link should work. 

http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/420s-all-season-truck-suv-tire/

My post should have said they WORE out very quickly.  Not worse.  Sorry.

That link works.  Sounds like a good tire to me.  I wish my trailer came with 17" rims....

Get some good ST radials and max out the load range.  Load range G for the win (or at least E or F, i.e., 80 psi rated tires or better).  Keep them fully inflated.  And don't speed, especially if its hot out.  Heat kills trailer tires.  

https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/11/08/trailer-towing-st-tires-vs-lt-tires/

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=CKe0sfKImdMCFQtqfgoddzIGGQ&techid=55&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!182175492164!p!!g!!load range e&ef_id=V4@dbQAABI2pv@x7:20170410043908:s

7 hours ago, RyanB said:

If you are suggesting to switch from an ST to a non-ST tire, I think that is a very good way to go, as long as you get something that has appropriate load capacity.  I have considered switching mine out, but I will need to do the wheels as well since my boat came with 14".

Just curious, why switch to a non-ST tire?  

• Like 1