Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard advice

NCSurfing

My daughter just turned 14 and is about 95 lbs. She has been wakeboarding for 3 summers. Last year we could tell she was outgrowing the board thus, we want to get her a new one for this summer. I would still call her beginner, leaning towards intermediate as she gets up fine and rides clean however, just crosses the wake - no tricks, jumping, etc. 

I would appreciate recommendations....I don't want to spend a lot however, I do want to make sure she has something easy to ride so she will keep with it. In fact, I would love to find one that comes with bindings so I don't get the double whammy. Thanks in advance!

Edited by NCSurfing
  • Like 1

At her skill level, you don't need to worry about ththe board too much.  I'd focus on finding something with continuous rocker so it's more forgiving.  Picking something that she can grow into (130ish)  The most important part of the set up is the bindings.  A good set of binding will make her connection to th board much more responsive.  In addition, a nice set of binding will be much more comfortable and therefore she will be able to stay out longer and get more time behind the boat.  More board time = more advancement.  I can't stress this enough, the bindings are the most critical part of the set up.  I'd look for a new 2015 or 2016 pair as you can typically score something for 30-40% off retail. 

Look for the deals, 2016 or 2015 inventory.  Bindings are critical, get decent ones.  The continuous rocker board is good advice.  

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2017 at 4:20 PM, NCSurfing said:

rding for 3 summers. Last year we could tell she was outgrowing the board thus, we want to get her a new one for this summer. I would still call her beginner, leaning towards intermediate as she gets up fine and rides clean however, just crosses the wake - no tricks, jumping, etc. 

I would appreciate recommendations....I don't want to spend a lot however, I do want to make sure she has something easy to ride so she will keep with it. In fact, I would love to find one that comes with bindings so I don't get the double whammy. Thanks in advance!

Edited April 8 by NCSurfing

Full disclosure:  Ronix has been supporting my wakeboard school for years now.  

That being said, the Vault wakeboard with well fitting bindings (as SC Mike said) would be a great combination. The Vault has a stable platform to learn from and with a fin change can take you all the way into your first spins and inverts.  Its all I buy for the school and a board I recommend for all my new students.  The vault has not changed shape in years so getting a 1-2 year old leftover is a great way to save some money as well.  If your daughter likes more of the girls graphic, the Ronix Krush is the same exact board with girl graphics.  

22 hours ago, Ridebutter said:

Full disclosure:  Ronix has been supporting my wakeboard school for years now.  

That being said, the Vault wakeboard with well fitting bindings (as SC Mike said) would be a great combination. The Vault has a stable platform to learn from and with a fin change can take you all the way into your first spins and inverts.  Its all I buy for the school and a board I recommend for all my new students.  The vault has not changed shape in years so getting a 1-2 year old leftover is a great way to save some money as well.  If your daughter likes more of the girls graphic, the Ronix Krush is the same exact board with girl graphics.  

Awesome validation....thanks brother. I ended up finding a 2015 leftover (new) Ronix Krush for $170!

Edited by NCSurfing
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

My daughter is on a Liquid Force Angel, stays locked in on edge, and the center fin is removable when she starts to get advanced. Awesome graphics too. Its last years model with the flowers on it.

Edited by Choiceind
misspelled word