Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pics of malibu auto vent set up

spikew919

8 minutes ago, Whitecap said:

@JeffC Congrats on the autovent install - it’s always a great feeling when the job is behind you and done correctly!  Well done, sir.

For those of us who have been contemplating an autovent set up (my 2013, 23’ LSV that I just bought, did not have any venting system in its piggyback’ed 550 sacs and was very tired of “burping the bags” manually) there is no reason to spend 500+ bucks for an on line adaptor kit to set up an autovent system anymore. Please do yourself a favor -  please click on one of the two links below, depending on what sized vent hole you have in your ballast bags (1 inch, or 3/4 inch) and take a look at these things.  I have had my boat for three weeks now, and was about to pull the trigger on the autovent system, then I came across a very long thread on our website here.  At the end, some members spoke up and swore by screwing in these kinetic air vents (used in irrigation and swimming pools) to induce venting for your sacs to drain, and automatic closing of the valve, so the excess water in your sacs can vent overboard.  I thought to myself, “what have I got to lose, it’s 25 bucks for two of them”.  I’m very glad I tried them.  You just screw them in, and never burp your bags again.  Simple. Effective. Very, very cheap.  They have worked perfectly for me.

I bring this up now - not to rub it in the face of anyone who has spent money on the autovent system - but to help others, like me, who were trying to find the most efficient way to vent, while saving a bunch of money.  I hope this helps someone.

Here is the  kinetic air valve that I am personally using, from Amazon. 3/4”

https://www.amazon.com/BALDR-Continuous-Release-Kinetic-Vacuum/dp/B07C3RHV4H/ref=sr_1_3?crid=26OMJSN58VPFB&keywords=kinetic+air+valve&qid=1564154893&s=gateway&sprefix=Kinetic+air%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-3

Here is the 1” option.

https://www.amazon.com/Drip-Depot-Kinetic-Vacuum-Irritec/dp/B00TB7FOB8/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=26OMJSN58VPFB&keywords=kinetic+air+valve&qid=1564154862&s=gateway&sprefix=Kinetic+air%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

here is the original thread that got me interested in trying out this option.

Please try it for yourself and save 500 bucks!

Warm regards, and thank you to those who talked me on target here.  I hope I can do the same for someone else.

-Whitecap 

I started with the kinetic air valves and they worked great 95% of the time, but I had issues with them hitting the bottom side of the cover.  Some times it would get pushed horizontal and quit venting.  If your bags are close to the cover when full, I highly recommend the Wakemakers auto vent system.  If anyone wants to try the kinetic air valves, I have a pair of valves you can have.  For clarification, the Wakemakers auto vent system is $100, not $500.  

@Leatherneck33 thanks for the clarification on the price.  (The old grey mare, ain’t what she used to be.  I must have remembered it incorrectly).  

Great to see another Marine around here!

Semper fi, brother.

Edited by Whitecap
  • Like 1

My only issue with the kinetic valves is when the bags deflated, i put stuff into those compartments, and was just afraid that with the valve resting on its side and something on top, that would put extra stress on a small portion of the bags which would eventually cause it to tear. Maybe I just over thunk it but I've got the two valves still just sitting in the tray over the engine now. 

On 6/27/2019 at 4:47 PM, JeffC said:

I must be the stupidest least mechanically inclined human being being alive, or certainly on this site..

I have read here more than once that installing the WakeMakers autovent is a five minute job.    I have over an hour into it in my driveway on a 94 degree day, and I have not even managed to get one side done... in fact, I have not even managed to disconnect the thru hull hose on one side.   I could not reach the clamp from the back of the boat.   So I emptied the locker, and crammed all 230lbs of my old fat self into the locker.   Ok, clamp came off like a breeze.   But no amount of tugging, twisting,  sweating, swearing,  and bleeding has managed to get that hose off.   Seems like the ribbed end of the hose has a sleeve attached to it... It moves, but it will not come off. 

What the same hell am I missing???

At this rate I may actually get these cursed things installed by fall.

Don't feel bad, you have company.

Winter - purchase parts that sound like easy install and only a couple hours

July 5th - brother in law and I go to install the new PnP bags.  Open up the boxes and spend 3 hours staring at hoses, fittings, and bags.  At that point we believe we understand the architecture of what goes where but don't seem to have enough parts.  We finally identified the strange Y shaped thing as the autovent.  Weather is too nice so we throw our hands in the air and get on the lake.

July 19th - take the afternoon off to actually install it.  5 sweaty hours later it's sort of done.  Confirmed earlier suspicion that there are two missing quick connect fittings so only one drain hose not both are finished.  Good news, autovent is in!!!  Bad news, hose management is awful so I can't put all the panels back together.  Have a slight drip on one bag where the autovent connects

July 20th - Something isn't right, open up the lockers and find out my shiny new bags are losing about 75% after being filled.  Now I don't dare cut any hoses to tidy things up and finish the install.  Is my autovent siphoning off?  Are my pumps letting the water reverse?  Back to searching Malibucrew

July 28th - Figure out if I shut off the valves on the pumps the bags hold water.  Can at least use them.  Still afraid to cut hoses to finish autovent install.

Maybe I'll finish by fall:( or maybe I'll just pony up and give my dealer some cash

• 1 year later...

I’m just trying to wrap my head around this concept. I’m sorry for the lack of knowledge. 
I have 2 750 PNP bags in the rear locker. They have the manual bleeder. Lately I have been lazy and just wait for the overflow of water to come out of the side of the hull and start surfing. 
Now the over flow tube attached to the bag is on the top of the bag.... so wouldn’t my bag be full of water up to the point where the overflow tube attaches to the bag? And air is self venting through that tube? 
By not bleeding the bags manually wouldnt I only be missing maybe 10ish gallons of water in the bag?but the lowest point is still the overfill tube so water would still travel out the tube? 

Edited by Bwhit
Added more
  • 11 months later...

Did anyone try these Fatsac auto venting caps that Bwhit mentioned above?  I was going to order an irrigation kinetic vent but this seems like it would be better?

• 4 weeks later...

Glad this thread came back up as I have a question after installing the WakeMakers Rear Plug and Play Ballast upgrade in a 2022 23 LSV.  The boat was ordered with PNP plumbing w/Auto Vent, so I'm assuming the hoses are routed where they are supposed to be.  What gives me pause is that the auto vent hose wraps around the back of the locker behind the sensor (and wiring) which sits at the top rear corner of the hard tank.  It seems like the hose will rest on and possibly get hung up on the wire connected to that sensor when the bag fills and drains. 

If anyone has these bags installed on a 2022 23 LSV can you post a picture of how yours is installed/routed?

Much appreciation in advance!

• 1 year later...
On 5/31/2022 at 5:40 PM, MTSurf said:

Glad this thread came back up as I have a question after installing the WakeMakers Rear Plug and Play Ballast upgrade in a 2022 23 LSV.  The boat was ordered with PNP plumbing w/Auto Vent, so I'm assuming the hoses are routed where they are supposed to be.  What gives me pause is that the auto vent hose wraps around the back of the locker behind the sensor (and wiring) which sits at the top rear corner of the hard tank.  It seems like the hose will rest on and possibly get hung up on the wire connected to that sensor when the bag fills and drains. 

If anyone has these bags installed on a 2022 23 LSV can you post a picture of how yours is installed/routed?

Much appreciation in advance!

On my 2022 22 LSV I have one Auto Vent on the starboard side that was sitting up in the gunnel and placed perfectly. The port side has no Auto Vent but I found this in the engine compartment. I'm assuming someone routed it to the wrong place so could be possible your Air vent hose is not in the right place either. I don't have picture of the starboard side but the hose was not behind a sensor or anything that would get in the way. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lZeY6KsKcPbC3gIfbhUlO55Oj9O2DH6u/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13UTLEbv9JGzE2IOjBd6oP6WIRKFn0WB8/view?usp=sharing

• 2 months later...

Bumping this but has anyone tried those FatSac auto vent caps yet?

Edit: it was only $20 at Swell for a pair so I have some on the way and will report back on how they work. 

Edit 2: tried the auto vent caps. Didn’t really work still had to manual vent. Going to have to get the kit from Wakemakers. 

Edited by WakeUT
Test results