Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pics of malibu auto vent set up

spikew919

Did your boat come with autovent? It's an extra option. 

Up in the front of the lockers, near where the vent thru hole is, the line should y. One of those lines should go on top of the bag. My line that went to the bag had a check valve on it. 

7B7FB36B-584D-4483-81E4-E299C500567E_zps

• Like 2

No my boat did not have auto vent. Just the hi flo plug and play.  I'm not sure I follow why it needs a check valve.  Only thing check valve would stop would be air from hard tank that tries to go to bag or any trapped water. And once bag fills would be kinda redundant anyway? 

Just now, Slurpee said:

Just so I'm clear.  This will draw a vacuum when the bags are draining while letting them vent air and excess water when filling?

Yes. Not sure how much it helps with aerator pumps though.

Okay.  That's cool.  I never found a plumbing-only solution for that.  So what I did was put one of these solenoid valves in-line with the vent hose.  It's pretty light so it fits nicely right at the thru-hull out of sight.

12Vdc Solenoid Valve

It's wired into the fill pump so that it's wide open when filling.  Then when draining it's closed up draws a vacuum.  I did it with the old boat and it worked great for as long as I had it.  With reversible pumps though you need to put a diode in the power line so it only get power when the pump is running one direction (i.e. fill).

Plumbing only makes it a lot easier to get the same effect.  I'm glad there's something like that now.  Burping bags is terrible.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

FWIW, I just installed the wake makers kit on my 2016.  

5C9D2633-80E6-47F8-86E5-B00CE38707F8_zps

E3BC046C-65CC-4995-8353-F1F61FF7CA8F_zps

That looks nice and easy.

I ordered these from Jason...along with the plug and play ballast. Can't wait to hook it up. My dealer talked me out of the autovent option. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all - I have the PnP bags in our 2018 21 VLX as well; my question is how do I not fill them? I think if I hit 'fill all' it will fill the entire boat, including the PnP bags - correct? So if I didn't want to fill the extra rear bags I could just hit 100% on my rear ballast on the touchscreen - correct?

Or is there a valve I am missing, or should I just disconnect them when I don't want to use for a while?

Your help is appreciated.

@WhiteWaterWeb On my 17 if I hit fill all it stops once the ballast hits 100%. I have to start it again to fill the bags. Since the ballast sensors are in the tanks it only fills the bags a little. Some boats now have the tanks go up the wall. The sensors go up the wall also. That kind of gives a reading of the bags also because the sensor will now go about as high as the bags. If your tanks don’t go up the wall it should stop when the ballast hits 100% and only fill the bags a little?

Edited by teamerickson

Hmmm, when I hit a fill all preset or a surf preset I think they all fill, including the PnP. This is why I see the rear at 100% but still filling. I will confirm this weekend.

The bags get filled when the tanks over flow into them. Malibu did away with a separate valves for the bags a few years ago. Does it continue to fill until spitting out the side? 

Edited by teamerickson
  • 1 year later...

I must be the stupidest least mechanically inclined human being being alive, or certainly on this site..

I have read here more than once that installing the WakeMakers autovent is a five minute job.    I have over an hour into it in my driveway on a 94 degree day, and I have not even managed to get one side done... in fact, I have not even managed to disconnect the thru hull hose on one side.   I could not reach the clamp from the back of the boat.   So I emptied the locker, and crammed all 230lbs of my old fat self into the locker.   Ok, clamp came off like a breeze.   But no amount of tugging, twisting,  sweating, swearing,  and bleeding has managed to get that hose off.   Seems like the ribbed end of the hose has a sleeve attached to it... It moves, but it will not come off. 

What the same hell am I missing???

At this rate I may actually get these cursed things installed by fall.

15 minutes ago, JeffC said:

I must be the stupidest least mechanically inclined human being being alive, or certainly on this site..

I have read here more than once that installing the WakeMakers autovent is a five minute job.    I have over an hour into it in my driveway on a 94 degree day, and I have not even managed to get one side done... in fact, I have not even managed to disconnect the thru hull hose on one side.   I could not reach the clamp from the back of the boat.   So I emptied the locker, and crammed all 230lbs of my old fat self into the locker.   Ok, clamp came off like a breeze.   But no amount of tugging, twisting,  sweating, swearing,  and bleeding has managed to get that hose off.   Seems like the ribbed end of the hose has a sleeve attached to it... It moves, but it will not come off. 

What the same hell am I missing???

At this rate I may actually get these cursed things installed by fall.

Maybe post a quick photo of what you are seeing.  Did you slide the Did you slide the red ring to the unlocked position on the caps?  Once you do it the cap will come right off.  

I finally got it.  It wasn’t the quick releases it’s was where the vent line clamps to the thru hull exit.    I think the issue was just that since the boat was built the hoses were very tightly mated to the fitting after being clamped that long.  Simply, it just took more force.     I don’t envy my neighbors seeing me emerging from the ballast locker drenched in sweat.   Hell, that mental  image makes ME want to poke my minds eye out!    

In the end, it was more like two hours than five minutes, mostly because I was reluctant to use as much force as it too in fear of breaking something.   But it’s done... in time for my retirement celebratory lake trip.   Yep, tomorrow is my last day 😎

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 5:43 PM, hethj7 said:

Congrats!   My wife laughs anymore when I tell her a project will take just a few minutes (especially if it involves the boat)!

My wife says “Ok I will see you in the morning”. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@JeffC Congrats on the autovent install - it’s always a great feeling when the job is behind you and done correctly!  Well done, sir.

For those of us who have been contemplating an autovent set up (my 2013, 23’ LSV that I just bought, did not have any venting system in its piggyback’ed 550 sacs and was very tired of “burping the bags” manually) there is no reason to spend 500+ bucks for an on line adaptor kit to set up an autovent system anymore. Please do yourself a favor -  please click on one of the two links below, depending on what sized vent hole you have in your ballast bags (1 inch, or 3/4 inch) and take a look at these things.  I have had my boat for three weeks now, and was about to pull the trigger on the autovent system, then I came across a very long thread on our website here.  At the end, some members spoke up and swore by screwing in these kinetic air vents (used in irrigation and swimming pools) to induce venting for your sacs to drain, and automatic closing of the valve, so the excess water in your sacs can vent overboard.  I thought to myself, “what have I got to lose, it’s 25 bucks for two of them”.  I’m very glad I tried them.  You just screw them in, and never burp your bags again.  Simple. Effective. Very, very cheap.  They have worked perfectly for me.

I bring this up now - not to rub it in the face of anyone who has spent money on the autovent system - but to help others, like me, who were trying to find the most efficient way to vent, while saving a bunch of money.  I hope this helps someone.

Here is the  kinetic air valve that I am personally using, from Amazon. 3/4”

https://www.amazon.com/BALDR-Continuous-Release-Kinetic-Vacuum/dp/B07C3RHV4H/ref=sr_1_3?crid=26OMJSN58VPFB&keywords=kinetic+air+valve&qid=1564154893&s=gateway&sprefix=Kinetic+air%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-3

Here is the 1” option.

https://www.amazon.com/Drip-Depot-Kinetic-Vacuum-Irritec/dp/B00TB7FOB8/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=26OMJSN58VPFB&keywords=kinetic+air+valve&qid=1564154862&s=gateway&sprefix=Kinetic+air%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

here is the original thread that got me interested in trying out this option.

Please try it for yourself and save 500 bucks!

Warm regards, and thank you to those who talked me on target here.  I hope I can do the same for someone else.

-Whitecap 

Edited by Whitecap