Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow/center ballast for a 2004 23LSV

blytle473

I just bought 2 810 pound bags from Wakemakers with the timing control system and reversible pumps. I am still deciding if I need to also buy a bag for either the center locker or the front locker. If so, what do you guys recommend? Can I surf with just the rears or is needing more weight up front going to be an issue?

Also, has anyone had any experience with the Mission Delta Wake shaper? Seems like a cool tool for creating a good surf wake. Looking into possibly buying one.

I also have a 2004 23LSV.  

I purchased the tankbuster kit from wakemakers with the 900 pound sumos.  Many on here are using the delta wake shaper or something similar that they have built.  Search "suck gate", "slurpee gate", "ghetto gate" or even "delta".  Should give you plenty of reading material on how others are doing it.  If you use a device you will have to have bow weight.  Even no device with the 23 you will want bow weight to make the pocket longer for surfing.    

Thanks for your order! Does your boat have the bow ballast option?

No surf device: If you're going to list the boat you'll probably be OK without any additional forward ballast if you have the optional 350lb bow tank.

With surf device: Whether it's the Delta, another commercial product, or a home made solution, like blk93jeepzj said, if you're using a surf device you'll need more weight forward. The reason for that is you'll be able to effectively double the capacity of weight at the rear of the boat, which is just far too much weight at the rear of the boat. Your performance will suffer because the prop shaft angle is too steep, and the wave won't be very good without more weight forward in the boat.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, skicrave said:

Thanks for your order! Does your boat have the bow ballast option?

No surf device: If you're going to list the boat you'll probably be OK without any additional forward ballast if you have the optional 350lb bow tank.

With surf device: Whether it's the Delta, another commercial product, or a home made solution, like blk93jeepzj said, if you're using a surf device you'll need more weight forward. The reason for that is you'll be able to effectively double the capacity of weight at the rear of the boat, which is just far too much weight at the rear of the boat. Your performance will suffer because the prop shaft angle is too steep, and the wave won't be very good without more weight forward in the boat.

Thanks for the reply! No, the boat has no hard tank ballast or bow ballast of any kind. What would you recommend? 350 like you said or more?

Edited by blytle473
1 hour ago, blytle473 said:

Thanks for the reply! No, the boat has no hard tank ballast or bow ballast of any kind. What would you recommend? 350 like you said or more?

In my 2010 23 lsv, I bought the sumo 750 horseshoe sac (it does not fill to capacity but it was on sale at the time cheaper than rest... I do not know currently how many gallons it is taking to fill, but when I get boat back I am going to put a flow meter on it to figure out). I also run the sumo 800 in the walkway under the filler cushion and fill till the filler cushion starts to rise... You can also get a triangle to fit on top the seats and they are close to 1100 lbs. You are going to need way more than 350 in the nose if you are using a surf device...

hear is my complete setup running GSA surf system:

Factory rear tanks (250 each) and factory center tank full (500)

1100 in each rear locker

400 under coffin seats on each side

Horseshoe bag under front seats

800 in walkway under bow filler cushion.

If you think that is nuts...

2000 LX direct drive

1100 on rear floor

800 on each side of motor

400 center locker

Horseshoe bag under front seats

750 in walkway 

:rofl:

Edited by kerpluxal

Remember, his boat is a 2004, so it doesn't have the 250 hard tanks under the floor. That's 500lbs of rear weight that doesn't need to be offset with forward weight.

In that generation 23 LSV we have larger bag options in our UniversalFIT line that will get you ~600 pounds of bow weight, so that probably makes the most sense.

• Like 1
On 4/4/2017 at 4:41 PM, blytle473 said:

I just bought 2 810 pound bags from Wakemakers with the timing control system and reversible pumps. I am still deciding if I need to also buy a bag for either the center locker or the front locker. If so, what do you guys recommend? Can I surf with just the rears or is needing more weight up front going to be an issue?

Also, has anyone had any experience with the Mission Delta Wake shaper? Seems like a cool tool for creating a good surf wake. Looking into possibly buying one.

If you have a ski locker (long door in floor) then get this: https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-rear-seat-sac.html

You'll definitely need bow weight and most of the ski locker is forward of the helm.

Fill the above and the two 810 sacks in the rear lockers and put a suck gate on the side.

Then take a crew out and see how many people you have to pile in the bow to get the wave you want.  When you get back to shore weigh them all and go from there.

I would use over the side pumps until you figure out exactly what is going where and then commit to pump locations, thru hulls, and tubing routing.

Have fun!

• Like 2

You can always oversize your boy like kerpluxal is doing. That way you get a good fill under the bow seats and if no one is up there you can pull it out and put it on top of the seats to get max weight.

I have 04 vlx and regularly have 650 up front with 400 in the ski locker. I am adding 250 of lead wake that will mostly be up front.

Have fun