Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

B&W Hitch Question

wedge88

I know this is "the sponsored" hitch for the crew and I am thinking of ordering one but can someone, that has one, confirm if the tube is hollowed out? I use one of these https://www.amazon.com/Softride-Anti-Rattle-Tightener-Receiver-clanking/dp/B000T5BI8Y as they keep the hitch rattle down and secure the hitch at the same time but not sure if it will work on the B&W.  Most of my larger hauling pintle receivers are solid core. TIA!

I'd take a look at the Andersen rapid hitch if you live anywhere that steel rusts and leave the receiver in most of the time.

which B&W specifically are you looking at?

Edited by oldjeep

I have been looking at the Weigh Safe hitches with the 6" drop. I like the idea of tongue weight scale (though there have been some bad reviews on it) and it is kind of hard to justify the expense when my cheapy Reese has been fine for 3 boats. I will probably go the non scale version which seems to be about the going rate $189.00ish for a like hitch from other manufacturers.

Edited by wdr

I like the Andersen Easy hitch but it only drops 4" or I'd have to buy an 8" to get down to the 5 1/4" drop I use for a smaller 14' trailer.  I don't want an 8" drop and it doesn't look like either would acheive 4" or 8" and still maintaining the dual bolt system?

The higher rating on the 2 5/16" is nice as I do haul over 10k occassionally.  

Edited by wedge88
7 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

I like the Andersen Easy hitch but it only drops 4" or I'd have to buy an 8" to get down to the 5 1/4" drop I use for a smaller 14' trailer.  I don't want an 8" drop and it doesn't look like either would acheive 4" or 8" and still maintaining the dual bolt system?

The higher rating on the 2 5/16" is nice as I do haul over 10k occassionally.  

The EZ hitch is steel too.  You want to look at the Rapid hitch to get away from the steel

https://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/6-rapid-hitch.aspx

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Looking for advise on an adjustable hitch as we now have a couple of tow vehicles.  What weight rating should I be looking at for a 2020 23 LSV loaded up for a day on the lake plus luggage and coolers? I see lots of people go with the Andersen. They are rated for 8,000lbs with the 2" ball. Is that sufficient? Thanks

21 minutes ago, vaporbluebu said:

Looking for advise on an adjustable hitch as we now have a couple of tow vehicles.  What weight rating should I be looking at for a 2020 23 LSV loaded up for a day on the lake plus luggage and coolers? I see lots of people go with the Andersen. They are rated for 8,000lbs with the 2" ball. Is that sufficient? Thanks

8K is about as high a rating as you are going to get on a 2" ball with a 2" receiver.  It'll be fine.  The main question is what is the hitch on your tow vehicle rated at.  You see people thinking that slapping a 8K drawbar and ball on a class 3 receiver (5-6K rated) is going to work.  You need a Class 4 (or 5) hitch on the tow vehicle.

If you have a 2.5" (class 5 hitch) then you can get a 10K rated 2" ball/bar in an Andersen

Edited by oldjeep
10 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

8K is about as high a rating as you are going to get on a 2" ball with a 2" receiver.  It'll be fine.  The main question is what is the hitch on your tow vehicle rated at.  You see people thinking that slapping a 8K drawbar and ball on a class 3 receiver (5-6K rated) is going to work.  You need a Class 4 (or 5) hitch on the tow vehicle.

If you have a 2.5" (class 5 hitch) then you can get a 10K rated 2" ball/bar in an Andersen

I have a class IV on both vehicles (2018 F-150 and 2019 Expedition Max).

I run a weigh-safe hitch on everything bumper pull; you can get a 2" ball up 12K lbs. IIRC.  But you also need to check the hitch rating, as indicated above.  

I run this - 2.5" with a dual ball and up to 20,000 lbs rating.  Very solid thus far, but does show a little rust.  

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Hitch_Ball_Mount/Curt/C45902.html

Application: 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" trailer hitch receivers

Gross towing weight:

When used with 2" ball: 10,000 lbs

When used with 2-5/16" ball: 20,000 lbs

Tongue weight: 2,000 lbs

Distance from center of hitch pin hole to center of ball:

Hitch pin hole closest to ball: 10-3/8"

Hitch pin hole farthest from ball: 11-3/8"

Distance from center of hitch pin hole to the closest point of the support gusset:

Hitch pin hole closest to gusset: 3"

Hitch pin hole farthest from gusset: 4"

Maximum rise: 5-1/4"

Maximum drop: 6"

Pin hole diameter: 5/8"

Interior channel width: 3"

28 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

I run a weigh-safe hitch on everything bumper pull; you can get a 2" ball up 12K lbs. IIRC.  But you also need to check the hitch rating, as indicated above.  

Has the scale worked for you? As I've read reviews on those it seems hit and miss for people getting scales that seem to work properly.

18 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I run this - 2.5" with a dual ball and up to 20,000 lbs rating.  Very solid thus far, but does show a little rust.  

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Hitch_Ball_Mount/Curt/C45902.html

Application: 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" trailer hitch receivers

Gross towing weight:

When used with 2" ball: 10,000 lbs

When used with 2-5/16" ball: 20,000 lbs

Tongue weight: 2,000 lbs

Distance from center of hitch pin hole to center of ball:

Hitch pin hole closest to ball: 10-3/8"

Hitch pin hole farthest from ball: 11-3/8"

Distance from center of hitch pin hole to the closest point of the support gusset:

Hitch pin hole closest to gusset: 3"

Hitch pin hole farthest from gusset: 4"

Maximum rise: 5-1/4"

Maximum drop: 6"

Pin hole diameter: 5/8"

Interior channel width: 3"

I saw those on Amazon and wondered about them. It seems some people get ones made in USA and hold up great. Others get some made in India and the metal twists and can't handle the loads.

I use bulletproof HD hitches exclusively now.  They have so many adapters that it's truly one hitch.  Sure there are options for multi-hitch and height setups but my hitch has 2", 2-5/16s balls, pintle attachment for work and ladder attachment to use my WDH for the camper.  I tow about 8 different types of light to very heavy duty trailers and haven't had take the main portion of this hitch out since I bought the truck.  I just swap the attachments with two pins.  Here's a couple pics for reference.

IMG_8313.jpg

IMG_8286.jpg

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, vaporbluebu said:

Has the scale worked for you? As I've read reviews on those it seems hit and miss for people getting scales that seem to work properly.

I own 3 (one for each tow vehicle) and have never had an issue with the scale.  One of them is more than 5 years old now.   That's my experience with an admittedly small sample size.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, vaporbluebu said:

This is what I use on my Expedition.  I have the three ball for my truck, same hitch since 2012.  I am a fan.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/tow-stow-adjustable-ball-mount

• Like 1

I have the weigh safe hitch without the scale and it has been great. Feels very overbuilt compared to come of the adjustable hitches on the market. 

Also if you ever plan on running rock tamers make sure you get a hitch that has enough room for the sleeve as it seems a large portion of the adjustable ones do not. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

I have the weigh safe hitch without the scale and it has been great. Feels very overbuilt compared to come of the adjustable hitches on the market. 

Also if you ever plan on running rock tamers make sure you get a hitch that has enough room for the sleeve as it seems a large portion of the adjustable ones do not. 

I do have Rock Tamers I plan on using. Will it fit on the Weigh Safe?

8 minutes ago, vaporbluebu said:

I think I remember reading at some point that you use a rock tamer of some sort. Is that correct? It would work with the BW?

I have Rock Tamers on the back of my 5er (different hitch). That said, my hitch does have two pin holes and I do believe it would work with them. 

1 hour ago, vaporbluebu said:

I do have Rock Tamers I plan on using. Will it fit on the Weigh Safe?

Yes but only the 2" receiver version as it has the 2 pin holes. The 2.5 and 3" ones do not.

Some hitches with the one pin hole will work depending on how far back the pin hole on your truck is. On my f150 it's not nearly as far back as my dads 3500 GMC.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Joined the B&W club today.  New trailer needs a 2 5/16 ball, and my Andersen Rapid hitch only had the 2" and 1 7/8.  I put my Andersen up in the classifieds if anyone is interested in it.