Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'94 Echelon LX - Removal of bow seat back rest

I've recently purchased my first ski boat a '94 Echelon LX.  Previous owner had the interior re done but for some reason they removed the bow navigation light and the stern lights above the swim platform and the wires are somewhere down in the hull.  Ive pulled the rear bench seat and it looks like I may have to pull the gas tank to get to the wires for the stern lights.  Or atleast I couldnt spot them in the dark last night.  For the bow navigation light Im guessing that I need to remove the backrests from the bow seats to get access but Im not 100% sure as to how those are attached and didnt want to damage anything pulling / prying on them.  Anyone know how those are attached?

I'm figuring that these are bolted on through the hull and I am going to get the joy of standing on my head and blindly fumbling around looking for a bolt on the back side of the cushion.  I was really hoping for a Z clip but doesn't look like my luck is going to run that way

@nosnarb:  Congrats on your purchase, you bought the boat that pretty much vaulted Malibu to the level of MC and Nautique for slalom wake quality.  The wiring you are commenting on runs down the starboard gunnel mostly in a small tube tucked up under the upper surface of the gunnel.  If you look up in there, the tube has a few gaps along the length and you can spot the wires that way.  Certainly removing the fuel tank will provide more access, but you will not find or should not find the wires you are after that way.  Many of the wires are color coded, I don't recall how at the moment, but I would look under the dash particularly as the switch panel to start the trace to determine the hot lead color, then head to the transom to continue the search for the wire(s) in question at the starboard / transom corner or just up towards the tube that carries them on the transom.  Only a guess, but it would be a surprise if someone would pull the wire as they might or should be bundled and thus a laborious process to completely remove them.  You can use the fuel tank ground as a common ground, I do recall the fuel tank sender wire is pink.  After all that, the stern light should be a simple plug in socket and the light itself clips to the seat back, that is if original version.   On the bow light, I thought mine was screwed down from the top, you have to remove the cover to get access to the attachment screws.

Edited by Woodski
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, jk13 said:

Depending on the size of the hole in the bow I'd spend some time with a flashlight and fish wire/grabber before removing those seat backs. 

pretty small holes unfortunately.  I'd consider the popup option but I've already order a replacement navigation light.  Ill see if I can poke around and find the wires tonight