Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gunwale and bow step pad - Seadek

Fman

I have been trying to locate some step pads for behind my tower and front bow.  I contacted Gator Step but since 2015 there prices have gotten out of control they want over $275 for a bow piece and two pieces behind the tower.   Actually I take that back, you can't order just those 3 pieces you have to order the entire rear tower section and 3 bow pieces for $275.  Gator Step was unwilling to just sell me the 3 pieces I wanted, pretty disappointed in there customer service.  For that price not worth it imo and I don't want gator step plastered all over the top deck of the boat.  I just ordered a kit from Seadek in Storm Gray for $28 + shipping that has 4 pieces 3.5" x 12" that can be placed anywhere on the top gunwale or cut to where you need it.  I will report back when I get them installed.  The price is super reasonable and should serve its purpose well.  So easy to slip off the top gunwale area and especially when someone is stepping on the front bow from a dock pickup.

Here is the link for the Seadek pads if anyone is interested.

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/seadek-step-pads-4-piece-kit?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=260-0250&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5YfHBRDzjNnioYq3_swBEiQArj4pdMmgLxlbfFuvDPjMatVrtwSrnJd1GssNbomZ9HP_OkQaAr-D8P8HAQ

Interesting note about Gatorstep that you made in that they will not allow you to order only some pieces.  I just talked to TJ today and was told I can send in a template for any pieces that I want and they will send me a proof before they go to production.  I plan to measure out my gunwhale and back step pads to replace them with Gatorstep.  Although $28 does sound great, I may need to see if that size will work in the areas I need it

I was going to order the seadek bow kit and the triangular pads in front of the window. I really only want the nose of the bow piece around the Nav light, so was going to use the 3 pads on each side in the back on the gunnels behind the tower.

3 hours ago, Bean97 said:

Interesting note about Gatorstep that you made in that they will not allow you to order only some pieces.  I just talked to TJ today and was told I can send in a template for any pieces that I want and they will send me a proof before they go to production.  I plan to measure out my gunwhale and back step pads to replace them with Gatorstep.  Although $28 does sound great, I may need to see if that size will work in the areas I need it

I wonder if that means I could have them make a pad to fit right above my swim platform on my transom. Like the Natique. 

Maybe I should have talked to TJ.  There was no way I was paying $275 to use 3 pieces.  The guy I spoke with was like take it or leave it.  Like I said, not impressed with the customer service.  The seadek will be fine for a fraction of the cost.

11 hours ago, LS1boarder said:

I wonder if that means I could have them make a pad to fit right above my swim platform on my transom. Like the Natique. 

Yes, you can do this.  I had them make one for me when I ordered my bow and top deck kits.  It was an additional $60.  Here is the design mock up that Gatorstep provided.  I don't have a pic of it on my boat, but I'll get one next time I go out.

24E703B9-002C-4E94-84A3-09665D074222_zps

10 hours ago, Fman said:

Maybe I should have talked to TJ.  There was no way I was paying $275 to use 3 pieces.  The guy I spoke with was like take it or leave it.  Like I said, not impressed with the customer service.  The seadek will be fine for a fraction of the cost.

I agree, I would not pay that either.  I paid $412 (that included tax and shipping) for my bow, front top deck, rear top deck, and the custom transom protector.  It was pricy, but visually Ana functionally it was a great upgrade. Here is a pic of the bow after I installed it at the dealer before delivery.

9A395FDB-1587-45AB-AA8D-73CFD9A04AA5_zps

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Yes, you can do this.  I had them make one for me when I ordered my bow and top deck kits.  It was an additional $60.  Here is the design mock up that Gatorstep provided.  I don't have a pic of it on my boat, but I'll get one next time I go out.

24E703B9-002C-4E94-84A3-09665D074222_zps

I'm interested in the rear deck kit but it doesn't show any of the lines on any of the patterns.  I don't just want a solid piece but something like you have there.  Hadn't thought of a transom pad but that's a great idea.  

Can you order color samples from gatorstep?

3 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I'm interested in the rear deck kit but it doesn't show any of the lines on any of the patterns.  I don't just want a solid piece but something like you have there.  Hadn't thought of a transom pad but that's a great idea.  

They have a few different design styles.  If you are looking "shop boat kits" section on their website, you can pick what boat you have and then select various colors or design styles.  If your boat is not on the list, or if you want anything custom, you can contact them through the website.  That's what I did.  I got a response and custom mock up done within a few hours of my email to them. 

Just now, SCMike said:

3 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I believe so.  I just called and asked what the matching color was to my factory soft grip. 

On April 4, 2017 at 10:32 AM, SCMike said:

I agree, I would not pay that either.  I paid $412 (that included tax and shipping) for my bow, front top deck, rear top deck, and the custom transom protector.  It was pricy, but visually Ana functionally it was a great upgrade. Here is a pic of the bow after I installed it at the dealer before delivery.

9A395FDB-1587-45AB-AA8D-73CFD9A04AA5_zps

Damnit, that's looks a lot better than I thought it would! I wasn't wild about the long bow strip on the side, but seeing s pic, it looks great! 

Guess I'll get the bow kit and rear gunnel, along with the triangular pad in front of windshield.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cmb396 said:

Damnit, that's looks a lot better than I thought it would! I wasn't wild about the long bow strip on the side, but seeing s pic, it looks great! 

Guess I'll get the bow kit and rear gunnel, along with the triangular pad in front of windshield.

Thanks @Cmb396!! I think it looks good too.  In person looks even better, it really sets my boat apart from any other i have seen.  

I've got the Triangular pads for below the windshield too (they came with the bow kit), i just have not decided it i want to put them on yet.  If i end up not using them, i'll be happy to send them to someone on the site as long as they cover shipping. 

4 hours ago, HPetit said:

Has anyone gotten the inside kick panels from Gator step? Malibu wanted 800 for the seadek inside panels. 

That's what I was just quoted for interior seadeck flooring. Kinda pricey but unless I can find it cheaper I will be installing it this winter on my 16lsv. Had it in my last boat n loved it. Don't know why I got one with carpet but I'll deal with it for the summer

On 4/4/2017 at 2:49 PM, SCMike said:

They have a few different design styles.  If you are looking "shop boat kits" section on their website, you can pick what boat you have and then select various colors or design styles.  If your boat is not on the list, or if you want anything custom, you can contact them through the website.  That's what I did.  I got a response and custom mock up done within a few hours of my email to them. 

Looking at doing this same thing before the season gets in full bore myself. I wish you could just piece together what you want on their site.

Re-read your post and it seems that they built this custom kit without doing the actual template?

I just put in a call and email to their CS. That would be cool if I don't have to burn weeks doing a template!

5 minutes ago, WakeSS said:

Looking at doing this same thing before the season gets in full bore myself. I wish you could just piece together what you want on their site.

Re-read your post and it seems that they built this custom kit without doing the actual template?

I just put in a call and email to their CS. That would be cool if I don't have to burn weeks doing a template!

They already had the template for my boat, so I didn't have to go through that step.  The custom work I had them do for me was a custom design (I didn't think any of the stock designs matched the stock soft grip floor pattern) and had them do a transom pad similar to Nautique.  For the transom pad, TJ called Malibu and got the measurements for the platform and was able to create the piece without having to do a template.  

Did AWS stop selling pieces of GatorStep? I installed the Bow Piece and put the pieces in front and in back of the gunnels by the tower. I never installed the bow pieces, but may someday.

Its held up well over the past two seasons with 200 hours of use and abuse of coolers and feet!

11 hours ago, Socalbu said:

Did AWS stop selling pieces of GatorStep? I installed the Bow Piece and put the pieces in front and in back of the gunnels by the tower. I never installed the bow pieces, but may someday.

Its held up well over the past two seasons with 200 hours of use and abuse of coolers and feet!

I never contacted AWS directly but would be surprised if they did sell individual pieces.  Gator grip is not selling them individually anymore.

I'm pretty sure Mason said they were in 2015, but maybe they stopped.

I ran into the same issue with GatorStep and Malibu (Grip Tape)  and had to buy parts that I didn't need.

I didn't want to have to "cut to fit" because of I wanted tapered edges and I suck with Scissors!

In 2015 you could order individual pieces.  Infact there were three of us on tmc that ordered the bow and gunwale pieces, worked great.  Gator Grip is streamlining production and does not want to do any special orders for any customers.  Oh well my Seadek arrived today so should be able to get it on soon.

Finished my step pad install today, really pleased with the Seadeck product.  I think its going to do the job and for the price delta between gator step a bargain buy ($28 compared to $179).  I had trim about 1/2" off width off the gunwale step pads and the bow pad I took a little off on the corner to flow with the angles of the bow a little better.

20170413_154150_zps6uzjifeq.jpg

20170413_154212_zps4ydacmn6.jpg