Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raptor 410/Surfpipe/2277 engine noise review

Fman

7 hours ago, Fman said:

I had a chance to take out the boat for a couple hours today.  I have a 2017 lsv with Raptor 410 and a Surfpipe with the 2277 prop.  I have read numerous reports on this forum about the engine noise being loud.  My 2015 22vlx had the Chevrolet 6.0L 409 with FAE exhaust.  I was definitely expecting the worse case scenario because I really don't like loud engine noise or exhausts.

To my surprise I had no issues with the noise, infact I think the engine is as quiet or even quieter than my previous boat.  Even my wife and kids commented on how quiet the boat seemed.  You can definitely tell there is a V8 in there hammering the throttle with full ballast but once on plane it quiets down quickly.  I also did a 11.2 mph surfing scenario with full ballast and no excessively high engine noise surfing either.

Can't figure out all the comments on the noisy powertrane...?

Power also seems very good out of the holeshot fully loaded with ballast.  Still need to put some more hours on it and start towing riders to get a full taste of the Raptor 410 but so far it's looking like a very good powerful engine.

Just my. 02....

I agree 100%. Love the torque for sure. It seems that malibu did a great job paring powertrain with application.

I agree that it's all a matter of perspective. And I also agree that the 2017 23LSV 410, 2277, surfpipe drivetrain is much quieter than I was expecting after reading threads on this site.  We took our new boat out this weekend to complete the break-in period.  Passengers agree with me that it is noticeably quieter than our 2006 23LSV with the 340.  That boat had transmission whine; especially loud in reverse.  This one is night-and-day different.  We're looking forward to many years of cruising and fun in this quieter 23LSV edition.

In another thread I reported much the same on the noise issue. Our 2017 is quieter then the 16 VLX. The LSV does have the surfpipe which the VLX did not. I think the 2277 helps also as people are realizing they don't need to prop the raptor down as much as initially thought. 

I noticed a big change between the 2249 and 2277 prop.  With the 2249 the boat was definitely loud due to excessive RPMs.  With the 2277 it is much more comfortable on the ears.

I think this goes without saying but the Fords sound different. I think they're just a tad nosier then the GMs. Great power!

I think back when I had the 2003 LSV with the hammerhead and it brings a smile to my face. Butter smooth power! Could almost get to 50!

11 hours ago, Fman said:

I had a chance to take out the boat for a couple hours today.  I have a 2017 lsv with Raptor 410 and a Surfpipe with the 2277 prop.  I have read numerous reports on this forum about the engine noise being loud.  My 2015 22vlx had the Chevrolet 6.0L 409 with FAE exhaust.  I was definitely expecting the worse case scenario because I really don't like loud engine noise or exhausts.

To my surprise I had no issues with the noise, infact I think the engine is as quiet or even quieter than my previous boat.  Even my wife and kids commented on how quiet the boat seemed.  You can definitely tell there is a V8 in there hammering the throttle with full ballast but once on plane it quiets down quickly.  I also did a 11.2 mph surfing scenario with full ballast and no excessively high engine noise surfing either.

Can't figure out all the comments on the noisy powertrane...?

Power also seems very good out of the holeshot fully loaded with ballast.  Still need to put some more hours on it and start towing riders to get a full taste of the Raptor 410 but so far it's looking like a very good powerful engine.

Just my. 02....

The noise level between the 2016 and 2017 is different. I bought a 2016 23 lsv in August of 2015 and it had a whine that was annoying, but my 2017 seems to be a little better even with the high torque prop.

• Like 2

I had a 2014 VTX with 350 GM and no issues with noise or exhaust fumes.  My 2016 LSV with Raptor 450 I thought was quite a bit louder and have major exhaust fume issues which I attribute (very unscientifically) to going from dual pipes to a single on the Ford.  Most exhaust issues surf left.  I ride a lot behind an X 30 and it much quieter in my opinion so I added the surf pipe for this season.  I'm hopeful this corrects the issues.  I have been running the 2277 from day one. Maybe more insulation added for 2017.  

47 minutes ago, chrisnorem said:

I had a 2014 VTX with 350 GM and no issues with noise or exhaust fumes.  My 2016 LSV with Raptor 450 I thought was quite a bit louder and have major exhaust fume issues which I attribute (very unscientifically) to going from dual pipes to a single on the Ford.  Most exhaust issues surf left.  I ride a lot behind an X 30 and it much quieter in my opinion so I added the surf pipe for this season.  I'm hopeful this corrects the issues.  I have been running the 2277 from day one. Maybe more insulation added for 2017.  

Do you have a surfpipe?  that will definitely help eliminate fumes and reduce engine noise.

18 hours ago, chrisnorem said:

just added it.  Have not yet used it.  I boat in Wisconsin.  

I just added the Surfpipe over the winter - we got it out last weekend - sooooooo much quieter!  Definitely worth it.

Okay.  So the reports of 2017 boats being quieter than 2016 boats is plausible.  I got to crawl around Ronnie's '17 LSV this afternoon - it's so gorgeous - and there is an improvement in the upholstery.  The board thicknesses are (I'm estimating by feel) 2x-3x thicker than on my '16 VLX - depending on the upholstery piece - for the rear hatches and the rear seat backs.  And there looks like there was some selective additional panels added on to the rear seat back.  That all would definitely work to deaden the sounds since mass and thickness are the basic components for deadening sounds.  Props for Malibu for listening to feedback.

Next calm day we're free we'll go measure his boat with my equipment and compare it to the sound levels in my boat before and after the sound deadening project.

• Like 2

I suspect some of you are curious about top speed of the Raptor 410/Surfpipe/2277.  We have a 2017 23LSV that is now out of the break-in period.  Top speed is 40.5 at 5500 RPM.  Just me in the boat. 70% in the fuel tank. Anchors, etc. but no real additional weight.

7 minutes ago, Zita said:

I suspect some of you are curious about top speed of the Raptor 410/Surfpipe/2277.  We have a 2017 23LSV that is now out of the break-in period.  Top speed is 40.5 at 5500 RPM.  Just me in the boat. 70% in the fuel tank. Anchors, etc. but no real additional weight.

Put a little ballast in the aft tanks. It will go faster!