Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust Fumes while skiing

I am getting huge head aches while skiing. We just got the boat in the spring and an injury kept me from being behind it until last week. I smell exhaust a lot more than behind our last boat and I am wondering if that could be doing it and is there a way to find out if there is too high a level of fumes. It doesn't seem to be bothering the kids, but maybe the fumes are higher by the time they reach the end of the line???

Anyone ever experience this? Ideas??

I am getting huge head aches while skiing. We just got the boat in the spring and an injury kept me from being behind it until last week. I smell exhaust a lot more than behind our last boat and I am wondering if that could be doing it and is there a way to find out if there is too high a level of fumes. It doesn't seem to be bothering the kids, but maybe the fumes are higher by the time they reach the end of the line???

Anyone ever experience this? Ideas??

Exhaust headache? are you skiing 60 off or what. With the speed you are going it is hard to imagine that it could be exhaust causing the headache. What is your fitness level at?

I am getting huge head aches while skiing. ...Anyone ever experience this? Ideas??

Is your Malibu diesel powered? Biggrin.gif

If not it sounds like it is time for a tune-up and Carb/injector cleaning.

Are you running old gas? That stuff wreaks! Shocking.gif

There is no way that you could be getting CO headaches from skiing behind the boat. The CO concentration is way too low that far back. Is anyone else on the boat complaining of headaches? If so, do you have an exhaust leak?

I am getting huge head aches while skiing.

You might want to try a wakeboard. Skiing seems to do this to a lot of people that's why they switch to the wakeboard!

ROFL.gif

I am getting huge head aches while skiing.

You might want to try a wakeboard. Skiing seems to do this to a lot of people that's why they switch to the wakeboard!

ROFL.gif

Yeah. Everybody knows wakeboarding is great for headaches. ROFL.gif

Carb or EFI?

EFI

Exhaust headache? are you skiing 60 off or what. With the speed you are going it is hard to imagine that it could be exhaust causing the headache. What is your fitness level at?

Not great, but I play softball 2 nights a week and no problem there. In the past I have had trouble not breathing while doing strenuous activities, so on the second day out I concentrated on breathing and same result. It happens so quick that it is scary.

There is no way that you could be getting CO headaches from skiing behind the boat. The CO concentration is way too low that far back. Is anyone else on the boat complaining of headaches? If so, do you have an exhaust leak?

No one else complaining of headaches, so after it happened on the third day I rode my kids tube for a while to see what happened. We played with driving with the blower on and off. Definitely worse with it on. I could tell exactly when it was turned on because I could smell more fumes. But it did not give me a headache while on the tube. If there was a small leak, could it be that I am just more suseptible to the fumes than others? How to test for leak?

Could it be sinus headaches from something in the water?

No problems swimming. Very clean, clear water.

I am getting huge head aches while skiing. ...Anyone ever experience this? Ideas??

Is your Malibu diesel powered? Biggrin.gif

If not it sounds like it is time for a tune-up and Carb/injector cleaning.

Are you running old gas? That stuff wreaks! Shocking.gif

Diesel--Wouldn't that be terrible!

Boat now has 225 hours. What is schedule for injector cleaning? What would dirty injectors cause?

Old Gas--We have put a little over 50 hours on the boat since we bought it and we have filled it several times. Of course who knows how much residual gas has been left when we filled since the guage always reads much closer to empty than we ever are.

You say it's much worse with the blower on? Is the smell exhaust or are you smelling raw gas? Any rainbow water in your bilge? I would not use the boat again until you're sure you don't have a fuel leak somewhere!!!

CO can affect some people more than others when it comes to how it affects the body. Some will feel the effects more rapidly than others. Do you have any other symptoms? These include dizziness, nausea, and ringing of the ears. A headache is also a symptom but is usually seen after the other symptoms.

The only way for you to get that much CO in your system in the time it takes to complete a ski or wakeboard run is if you are getting hit by a massive dose (over 2000 ppm). There is no way you are getting that much 60 ft or more behind your boat. I am around CO at work and know quite a bit about it.

You say it's much worse with the blower on? Is the smell exhaust or are you smelling raw gas? Any rainbow water in your bilge? I would not use the boat again until you're sure you don't have a fuel leak somewhere!!!

That is a good question and something we were possibly thinking of. I know when I sit on the back with my feet on the platform while the blower is running I can hardly stand it. I used to do that all the time on the old Nautique. Unfortunately, the drain plug is out and it is dry now.

CO can affect some people more than others when it comes to how it affects the body. Some will feel the effects more rapidly than others. Do you have any other symptoms? These include dizziness, nausea, and ringing of the ears. A headache is also a symptom but is usually seen after the other symptoms.

The only way for you to get that much CO in your system in the time it takes to complete a ski or wakeboard run is if you are getting hit by a massive dose (over 2000 ppm). There is no way you are getting that much 60 ft or more behind your boat. I am around CO at work and know quite a bit about it.

Thanks for trying to help. No ringing in the ears, but occasional nausea. Thought I was going to vommit once. No dizziness.

have you skied behind another boat recently to rule-out the activity?

Sounds like a good idea. We just got back from vacation and I did not ski the last day out of fear. The last headache I had was really bad because I skied longer because my son was video taping. After crawling in the boat I sat with a bag of ice on the top of my head before we could move the boat. We are planning on heading out next week locally, maybe we can try behind someone elses boat. In the meantime, I have been doing a little searching on headaches. There is actually a pleasure headache that can come on suddenly through excitement and excertion. More common in men which I am not and more common with excess weight which I have unfortunately. 3 babies, knee surgery and moving just did me in. I did buy a longer ski to help get me up quicker and that worked and I love the new ski so this is killing me.

I will have to look up my old team coach from college at their site or maybe Blast or MoonDawg can help (the kids really want to see that garden train too MoonDawg)

Edited by 89SN2001

If it is gas fumes when the blower is on DO NOT RUN THE BOAT UNTIL YOU GET IT FIXED!!!! You have a serious issue if you are smelling gas from the bilge of an EFI and the boat might Blowup.gif

have you skied behind another boat recently to rule-out the activity?

Sounds like a good idea. We just got back from vacation and I did not ski the last day out of fear. The last headache I had was really bad because I skied longer because my son was video taping. After crawling in the boat I sat with a bag of ice on the to of my head before we could move the boat. We are planning on heading out next week locally, maybe we can try behind someone elses boat. In the meantime, I have been doing a little searching on headaches. There is actually a pleasure headache that can come on suddenly through excitement and excertion. More common in men which I am not and more common with excess weight which I have unfortunately. 3 babies, knee surgery and moving just did me in. I did buy a longer ski to help get me up quicker and that worked and I love the new ski so this is killing me.

I will have to look up my old team coach from college at their site or maybe Blast or MoonDawg can help (the kids really want to see that garden train too MoonDawg)

We should be up at Caesar's Creek the middle of next week (will pick day(s) depending on weather). I'll let you know when as it gets closer. If you are up there, just look for a black, red and white (Reds colors) Response Lxi.

We should be up at Caesar's Creek the middle of next week (will pick day(s) depending on weather). I'll let you know when as it gets closer. If you are up there, just look for a black, red and white (Reds colors) Response Lxi.

That sounds good. Weather looks pretty good at this point on Wed and Thur. I am going to see if I can get my brother to go out on Sunday to take a look at the boat and see what he thinks. The big blowup above has me a lot worried. What area do you hang out in? Let me know Thanks!!

That sounds good. Weather looks pretty good at this point on Wed and Thur. I am going to see if I can get my brother to go out on Sunday to take a look at the boat and see what he thinks. The big blowup above has me a lot worried. What area do you hang out in? Let me know Thanks!!

We usually launch over by the dam (in the large no wake area) and stay on that side of the SR73 bridge. Sometimes we will go over to the other side of the lake, by the campground. It all depends on lake traffic. We used to launch at the sailboat ramp, but the ramp, parking and wakes (due to large no wake zone) are much better over by the dam.

Ran the boat in the driveway, checked for any fuel leaks--none, found out the blower is only venting through the drivers side vent. Headed out to the lake, let all the kids ski then jumped in for a try only to the same result--splitting knock down headache after 3 turns. I tried to take note of everything happening. I found that just after emerging from the water I get hit in the face with the exhaust fumes.

Can't wait to try behind yours Blast! I guess same result will send me off to get the noggin checked. However, a trip to Kings Island didn't tear me up Friday night.

Just out of curiosity, have you checked with a doc about the headaches? Skiing is considerably more strenuous than softball in a short burst of activity. If it were me, I would consult a physician to make sure it's not a more serious problem.

Where are the headaches? If it's in the rear/neck area, you could be getting a tension headache/pulled/cramping kind of muscular headache. If it's somewhere else, I have no clue... :)

Are you getting your ski on and ready while the blower and/or motor is running? That's probably where you're getting the most fumes from. Maybe try getting ready with the blower and motor off then get in the water and swim away from the blower hose before turning the blower on.

If you're like us we keep the blower on while we're on the platform getting ready.

When I'm skiing 22 off or shorter I can smell the exhaust from my ride, but just when I'm directly behind the boat.