Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Low Cost Ballast / Weight Bags / Lead Weight Alternative

BLSousa

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

You are missing the bag part of the equation...

I was planning on using my kids' piggy banks.  Do you think that they will notice? ;) 

I can't wait to see the look on the gas pump attendants face when I forget my wallet and pullout 150 lbs of pennies to pay for my gas. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay so the elephant in the room is how to acquire that quantity of pennies.  Do you think you can just call a bank and "order" them?

It's a damn good idea though.  

Yep.  You can order boxes of pennies from the bank.  My son's friends gave him a bag with $50 worth of pennies in it for his birthday.  They had ordered them, no problem.

I wonder what would happen if you just put a want to buy ad on your local CL and offer to buy pennies by the pound.  I'll betcha there are a few people who have 5 gallon water jugs full of 'em and don't know what they weigh who'd make you a deal.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:30 PM, Lees23 said:

My buddy and I are going to make a serious run at this.  Will probably vac-seal them and then put them in a gallon ziplock for extra protection.  

Any progress on this? Keep us posted as I'd like to do the same thing if it's effective.

4 minutes ago, jgates237 said:

Any progress on this? Keep us posted as I'd like to do the same thing if it's effective.

My buddy is doing it in his 23 LSV. Getting that many pennies is not as easy as one would think.  My bank told me that they could get me $200 but charger me $240.  His bank is allowing him to get $100/week with no charge.  I broke down and bought 3 50lb and 3 25 lb bags from leadwake.com. I am pretty confident that I can get 2-3 50lb bag behind the tank and cut the 25lb bags in two(they are 2 separate bags combined into one bag) and slide them beside the bow tank.  I might get $100 in pennies to fill the left over spaces.  

I just ordered my bags last night. I hope they arrive before next Thursday. 

So based on your formula of $1.73/#, I estimate that for $100 you get 57.8 #'s. Having said that, the price of a 50# from leadwake is $59 but as you so astutely pointed out, you can cash in your pennies in the end. The good thing I noticed about leadwake is they are providing free shipping which is outstanding. Kind of torn here but going the lead route may be easier especially since you don't have to worry about bagging them. Either way please keep me posted. I may augment my bow weight with pennies if you find it effective. Thanks, and good luck! 

Edited by jgates237
Just now, jgates237 said:

Just bought 4 - 50#'s from leadwake. Still considering the penny route as well.

I am having my bank get me $100 worth.  I'll use them in the hole in the center of the bow tank and all the other small voids. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2017 at 6:48 AM, jb 156 said:

Anyone have pics of their penny ballast bags?  

I just think this whole thing is funny. Please do it, and POST PICS. I want to enjoy this one fully.

As much as the bank is making you pay extra for money, I bet they will be thrilled to cash in your possibly corroded/gunky, soggy penny bags.

Waiting for someone to do this to their floor... mike-and-annie-s-mckittrick.jpg

203570image004.jpg

eb890c0ad37d00bb782409726d82dec4cc7bdc67 

Edited by AJwakedevil

Thinking about this too now.   Wondering how I might bag them so they are easy to move/remove, and still fit around the bow tank.   I have a vacuum sealer, but think they need to be "formable" so that they can adapt to the space I put them.   But REALLY dont want them breaking loose (what a PITA).   

7 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

I just think this whole thing is funny. Please do it, and POST PICS. I want to enjoy this one fully.

As much as the bank is making you pay extra for money, I bet they will be thrilled to cash in your possibly corroded/gunky, soggy penny bags.

Waiting for someone to do this to their floor... mike-and-annie-s-mckittrick.jpg

203570image004.jpg

eb890c0ad37d00bb782409726d82dec4cc7bdc67 

Vac sealed them as rolls to the shape to fit around the front ballast tank.  Actually worked really well and they didn't cost a penny... the bank allowed my buddy to "buy" $100 a week.  I believe he currently has $400 in pennies.  He doesn't need the weight anymore, 100% return on investment.  

We didnt take any pics when we were working on it. 

Edited by Lees23
  • Like 2

I did lead shot years ago in a larger vacuum bag in the nose of the boat.  I set the bag in, then poured in the lead and then sucked the air out.  If perfectly formed into the V of the floor.  It never moved.  You could do the same thing with the penny's.  It works for weight that you don't want to move around.  Then you could supplement with other 50# bags that you can easily move.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jgates237 said:

"What the hell's in here, lead?" :whistle:

Actually, it's steel, but the leadwake guy certainly is taking advantage of the USPS flat rate pricing policies!