Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slingshot surf boards

racer808

Any of you guys ride the slingshot boards?  Gnar? Cobra? Butterbar?  

Can't find very much goggling and there some good prices out there.

I have a Cobra, Its a great board! that said i don't have any experience on any of the $700+ boards since i don't plan to spend that much. I'm very happy with it so far, and previously surfed mostly skim style. I am now finding myself surfing the Cobra most often.

I've also been curious. Knew a guy who rode [slingshot] off and on. didn't say it was any different that the other ones he rode. Theres gotta be someone on here thats had some time riding them..?

Edited by AJwakedevil
8 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

I have a Cobra, Its a great board! that said i don't have any experience on any of the $700+ boards since i don't plan to spend that much. I'm very happy with it so far, and previously surfed mostly skim style. I am now finding myself surfing the Cobra most often.

How would you say it feels, like floaty or firmer?  I have a Byerly volt, surfs fine, but feels like a 2x4 after riding my Inland Surfer.  However, everyone else on the boat can't ride my inland & say it is too floaty.  Hoping it's sort of in between 

Its hard for me to say, I've only ridden a handful of boards most of which are skim style. I can say that or the three or four surf style boards I have been on its less floaty then them. I wanted something that was small like a skim but also had the ability to change up the fins unlike a skim style. most folks who have ridden it also like it. I read some reviews on it and it sounded like a good all around board which i think it is.

Really like my butter bar. It was good enough for me to take my surfing to the next level and it is still easy enough to ride that even beginners can ride it. I haven't tried it with any fins removed yet though. 

I got it with a coupon for $400 bucks which made it a bargain. 

On 4/3/2017 at 8:07 AM, jcon44 said:

Mine showed up today.  It feels every bit as light as my inland surfer and on par with the expensive boards I've held.  My Byerly Volt is really heavy compared to this.  Looking forward to riding it out here soon.  May have to go ahead & order the Butterball while it's on clearance.

On 4/7/2017 at 10:37 PM, racer808 said:

Mine showed up today.  It feels every bit as light as my inland surfer and on par with the expensive boards I've held.  My Byerly Volt is really heavy compared to this.  Looking forward to riding it out here soon.  May have to go ahead & order the Butterball while it's on clearance.

Butter bar looks like it would be a fun board too. Hope you like it!

We got a butterbar for Christmas and we finally got to use it Saturday. Freaking awesome! It's really fast compared to our hl. I'm like others, and didn't want to spend 700+. I love it and the wife loves it.....

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I just found a slingshot skimbender for a good deal.  Is it just an older version of the butterbar?  What's the best price/location for the butterbar?

edit:  There is really no info on the skim bender....now I am looking at butter bar and cobra.  This will be my first board and both kinda sound like a good do it all boat board.  Are both similar durability/construction?

Edited by goodmatt78

I chose the butterbar since it sounds easier for beginners to get up on....should make a good boat board.  It's also cheaper.   I figure others will have surf style boards for me to try. :)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Board is good.  My wife and daughter love it.  I find 3 fins too stable but it is still pretty quick not much effort to stay in wave.  2 fins still stable but really easy to break free, not squirly but every now and then some chop would hit me just right and the back end would almost get away from me.  I need surgery on my shoulder, again, and I'm trying to put it off till next year but with how bad it's hurting and partially dislocating it'll probably be fall.  So I'm not up for trying tricks or popping off the lip cause I need time to cradle my arm when I crash and you know how crashing goes when it happens quick so I'm just cruising behind boat this summer, no learning shove it's this summer.  We have the 5' cobra, I prefer smaller boards for more aggressive riding and tricks so I'm gonna order one of the smaller ones for my daughter and me to play on. For reference daughter is 4'10" 110 and she can ride the board we'll but she'll progress better on a smaller board.  Overall I love it but I prefer my inland surfer for aggressive riding.  Wife and daughter well riding a liquid force fish and byerly volt prior, both hated my inland board but now neither will ride the byerly or LF and say they feel like riding a 2x4 and I agree they take a lot more effort to ride in comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried my butterbar last week for the first time.  stock MLS only with wedge and DIY suckgate and I went ropeless.  This was my 2nd time ever to try surfing.  The board is very stable with all 3 fins and really easy to get up on.  I can't wait to progress.  It also fits in std. board rack which is great!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8y1p13ltlnu2wy/29939.jpeg?dl=0

On 4/10/2017 at 8:13 PM, skylerchamblee said:

We got a butterbar for Christmas and we finally got to use it Saturday. Freaking awesome! It's really fast compared to our hl. I'm like others, and didn't want to spend 700+. I love it and the wife loves it.....

Which HL did you have?  I'd like to replace our Broadcasts.  Surfing a small wave with the Echelon DD.

On 5/25/2017 at 8:47 AM, Michigan boarder said:

Which HL did you have?  I'd like to replace our Broadcasts.  Surfing a small wave with the Echelon DD.

I have a giant 5'1" ronix thruster and an inland surfer blue lake if you want to try one of them next time you are in GR let me know. They are very floaty. 

• Like 1

Got the Butterbar out this weekend.  I got the 52" since my daughter is 4'-11" 110 pounds.  Seems too small for even her but she likes it.  She loves the board with 3 fins in, says it's too squirrely with only 2 which is odd since she's a good rider.  I can ride it but way too small to actually "ride it".  Otherwise it seems like a great board, I am trying to see if I can return it for the next size up though.