Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looks like my season is done for

WakeGirl

Right now I'd just love to be able to get out on any boat, just to be on the water. Cry.gifCry.gif

Okay this isn't coming from me but from da' wife...if you give up wakeboarding you'll have to change your screen name to wakemomma, skimskategril or surfergirl. Crazy.gif

Ok people, nuff of the negative talk (though good point Jessica) - Tracie you can't "quit" wakeboarding... or we'll have to change your name to wakegimp, jumpstohigh, 247victim, etc..

And quiting only supports Pete's complaint that the 247 wake is just too big, unusable by any normal human Crazy.gif

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• Malibudude

• stewart

• jetskipro550

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tracie, I'm just catching up on all the posts for the past 2 months. (I've been at my summer place... and internet is almost non-existent.)

I'm reading through this thread, and I feel for you. I also see how close a community your Crew friends have become. The Crew wouldn't have happened without you.... and we all know that.... so I hope you know how much we're all wishing you a fast recovery.

Many of us get hurt on the water. Little bumps to sport-ending mishaps. I know in my case, I go through several phases. (This summer it was a recurring back problem).

First, it's just a plea for the pain to go away. Anything to reduce the pain. During this stage I can't believe how everything is connected to everything else. Move a muscle in one part of the body...... and another body part at the far end feels it too.

The second stage is just a wish to be mobile..... simply, let me be able to walk to the john and sit down.... to sit at a table...... to just be able to function independently without crutches or a cane or a helping hand.

The third stage is the toughest mentally. It's after the major pain has gone away, and I'm somewhat mobile..... then I start to miss my "fun" activities. I start to realize what I'm missing. Imagining what a life without being towed behind a boat.... ??? When I get to this stage, I am miserable to live with. By this time I've forgotten the joy of passing through stage 1 and 2. I get stuck in this stage too long.

The fourth stage is a neat one. This is when I start to reintroduce a portion of my former activities. It includes being the "Boat Driver".... or beach coach, or I actually get to wax the sides of the boat. I start to get a "piece" of my old fun activities back. I'm tempted to try and start to ski too soon.... but am fearful of reinjury..... so I wait.

The last (fifth) stage is one of determination. When I figure out what safeguards I need to put in place to get back in the saddle. With skiing, it's been to get up on 2 skiis, then drop. (Who cares what the neighbors think.) Just being up behind the boat going in a straight line makes me feel alive again. If it's the ears, it was to determine what kind of ear/head protection I needed. Once it got figured out, it felt glorious.

I've gone through each of these 5 stages numerous times. Each time feels like it's the worst. Each time I worry that my skiing days are over. But each time (gets longer each time by the way), I get through all stages.

So now, I still push myself as hard as I can every time I'm behind the boat. Funny.... knowing what it's like to NOT be able to ski, it makes my time behind the boat much sweeter. I know it's possiblt to re-injure.... and I take precautions, and I have limitations, but it still feels oh so good.

I take from reading this thread that you're somewhere around stage 2 and 3. You'll get through it. Stage 4 will come, and so will stage 5.

Without sounding like a motivational speaker I once saw (this guy had lost both hands and part of his face in a motorcycle crash, then lost leg mobility in a plane crash)..... he told his audience he always looked at the countless things he could STILL do, as opposed to few things he couldn't......

You'll be inside, then behind the boat real soon!

Hang in there. We're hangin with you!

Edited by doughickey

Warning, lots of whining follows.....

I'm going nuts here. Doug, you nailed it. Stage 3 sucks the big one. So for those of you that have undergone this type of injury, how did you deal with this? I'm on my arse for most of the day because of swelling - I don't get my splint (there's a joke, this thing on my lower leg is gi-normous) off on Thursday if the swelling doesn't look okay to the doc. So I spend my days here on the couch with my foot elevated, with my laptop & daytime tv to keep me company (daytime tv sucks!!). So what did all of you do to keep from going stir-crazy? One other concern I have is the degeneration of the muscles in this leg. It's so weak already, I can't imagine how bad it's going to get. Any advice on that one? Remember, I can't bear weight on it until sometime in November.

I hate this!! (thanks for letting me vent/whine)

I'm going nuts here. Doug, you nailed it. Stage 3 sucks the big one. So for those of you that have undergone this type of injury, how did you deal with this? I'm on my arse for most of the day because of swelling - I don't get my splint (there's a joke, this thing on my lower leg is gi-normous) off on Thursday if the swelling doesn't look okay to the doc. So I spend my days here on the couch with my foot elevated, with my laptop & daytime tv to keep me company (daytime tv sucks!!). So what did all of you do to keep from going stir-crazy? One other concern I have is the degeneration of the muscles in this leg. It's so weak already, I can't imagine how bad it's going to get. Any advice on that one? Remember, I can't bear weight on it until sometime in November.

One word. Netflix!

One word. Netflix!

Or, Fuel TV and the Speed Channel :)

I dont know how I just came cross this??? I hope you reocover in good time tracie!

For passing time there are alot of stupid online flash games if you have not discovered them yet.

After I had my surgery last january I spent almost a week just laying around on my belly (couldn't sit or lay on my back, and standing wasn't the most fun) I was pretty drugged up so the first few days so I just didn't do anything excpet listen to music, try to watch TV/movies, and listen to PodCasts (thank God for RadioPlayHouse podcasts!!!!) After I got off the heavy meds I started reading a lot...that helped me pass time the most cause I am a SLOW reader...something about dyslexia... I don't know Crazy.gif I also had studying to help me pass the time, but it was really hard to do since I wasn't "all there." After the first week I started going to about half of my classes, but other then that I just laid around my apartment. I felt pretty bad for my gf cause she was going stir crazy just sitting around with me all the time, but if it wasn't for her around I would have gone insane with bordem (sp?) I also found out that having animals around helps a ton too! My gf's cats (and I know this sounds dumb) kept me company during the day when she was off at work or class and I swear that watching them just lay around and being content with it really helped me to lay around and not go crazy. And last but not least...TheCrew...I was on it WAY more then normal (like 30+ posts a day) and I got lots use out of the chat feature on here too:)

Just whatever you do, don't watch wakeboarding DVD's!!!! It will just piss you off

I know it sucks right now, but before you know it you will be up and moving around again and this will all just be a bad memory!!! Once you can start driving again, I bet you will find yourself just driving for the sake of it cause you can get away from the house Rockon.gif

After I had my surgery last january I spent almost a week just laying around on my belly (couldn't sit or lay on my back, and standing wasn't the most fun) I was pretty drugged up so the first few days so I just didn't do anything excpet listen to music, try to watch TV/movies, and listen to PodCasts (thank God for RadioPlayHouse podcasts!!!!) After I got off the heavy meds I started reading a lot...that helped me pass time the most cause I am a SLOW reader...something about dyslexia... I don't know Crazy.gif I also had studying to help me pass the time, but it was really hard to do since I wasn't "all there." After the first week I started going to about half of my classes, but other then that I just laid around my apartment. I felt pretty bad for my gf cause she was going stir crazy just sitting around with me all the time, but if it wasn't for her around I would have gone insane with bordem (sp?) I also found out that having animals around helps a ton too! My gf's cats (and I know this sounds dumb) kept me company during the day when she was off at work or class and I swear that watching them just lay around and being content with it really helped me to lay around and not go crazy. And last but not least...TheCrew...I was on it WAY more then normal (like 30+ posts a day) and I got lots use out of the chat feature on here too:)

Just whatever you do, don't watch wakeboarding DVD's!!!! It will just piss you off

I know it sucks right now, but before you know it you will be up and moving around again and this will all just be a bad memory!!! Once you can start driving again, I bet you will find yourself just driving for the sake of it cause you can get away from the house Rockon.gif

Funny that you say that about the cats. We have one that is pretty friendly & likes to cuddle up & take a nap. She's been getting a lot of attention lately. I'm down to where I only need a pain med in the afternoon, so that's been good in so many ways. The only downside to it is that I get figedity (sp?) & want to go do something like work on the boat. The meds keep me down enough that I don't feel like doing anything. I'm to the point that I'm counting the minutes until the next Ebay auction that I'm watching, & the hours until I get to go to the doctor. Pathetic.

While at home with the my two little girls, I found my self watching stupid reruns of Cops. Nothing better than seeing some ol' late eighties, early nineties prostitutes getting busted. Crazy.gif WOW, I was bored

I wish you a speedy recovery :)

I found my self watching stupid reruns of Cops. Nothing better than seeing some ol' late eighties, early nineties prostitutes getting busted. Crazy.gif WOW, I was bored

What? That isn't mine! That isn't mine!!! I don't know how it got in my pocket, ugh my cousin? That isn't mine...Take your hands off me!!!

For your entertainment & possibly to gross a few of you out, here are some pictures. The one of my foot is pre-surgery, that was about the height of the swelling. The other is obviously the xrays taken after surgery. Seeing those screws & pins is wild! What's more is that I swear there are times when I can feel every last one.

post-1-126734436655_thumb.jpgpost-1-126734438116_thumb.jpg

I found my self watching stupid reruns of Cops. Nothing better than seeing some ol' late eighties, early nineties prostitutes getting busted. Crazy.gif WOW, I was bored

What? That isn't mine! That isn't mine!!! I don't know how it got in my pocket, ugh my cousin? That isn't mine...Take your hands off me!!!

actually...these arent my pants ;)

-krak

For your entertainment & possibly to gross a few of you out, here are some pictures. The one of my foot is pre-surgery, that was about the height of the swelling. The other is obviously the xrays taken after surgery. Seeing those screws & pins is wild! What's more is that I swear there are times when I can feel every last one.

Shocking.gif That has to hurt. I need to take some meds because its starting to make me hurt. Cry.gif

How are you feeling Tracie? When will you start walking on it?

I won't be able to walk on it until sometime in November, & they told me that's only if I'm good & follow their orders to stay off of it. So I am, but it's making me cranky. I have been able to cut back on the pain meds, but boy it was bad for the first week. I get to go in & have my splint taken off in place of a removable boot tomorrow. Yahoo.gif That will be much more comfortable. But what will be even better will be when they take those d@mned pins out of the side of my foot. Yes, they're sticking out the side of the foot. That's not something that I'm looking forward to having to look at every day.

Tracie,

Kasia saw a woman at Costco yesterday who had a min-walker that she rested one knee on. She also was not able to bear weight on that leg but this seemed to make it much easier for her to get around. You might want to check with the doc on that tomorrow...

Cheers,

Mike

Cool

ditto he,he,he...

Man, that has to suck. Sorry T.

BTW - my eye's all better Tongue.gif Can't even tell it happened now. Those 5 phases went by pretty fast for me. :)

Yeah, recovering from those wakesurfing accidents is just a little easier. :lol: FWIW, I've got a scar over my right eye that my surfboard gave me earlier this year. It wasn't as bad as yours (missed my eye, so it didn't puff up like yours), but it was a bleeder for sure. I'm still not sure what baumer's kids thought of that. :lol:

I won't be able to walk on it until sometime in November, & they told me that's only if I'm good & follow their orders to stay off of it. So I am, but it's making me cranky. I have been able to cut back on the pain meds, but boy it was bad for the first week. I get to go in & have my splint taken off in place of a removable boot tomorrow. Yahoo.gif That will be much more comfortable. But what will be even better will be when they take those d@mned pins out of the side of my foot. Yes, they're sticking out the side of the foot. That's not something that I'm looking forward to having to look at every day.

PICTURES! We want PICTURES!!!

PICTURES! We want PICTURES!!!

Pictures

:lol: Yeah, it would have been better if you could say something like, "You had sooooo much air time on that, it was wicked!" As it was, I had decent height (nothing like I was getting at Oroville though), I just got myself all crossed up. Oh well, Joe appreciates me more for all of the stuff that he's having to do around the house now & I appreciate him more for doing it. So in the end (as he puts it), it's probably good for us. How's that for finding the silver lining? :lol: