Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looks like my season is done for

WakeGirl

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• Malibudude

• stewart

• jetskipro550

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tracie

Sorry to hear the bad news,but keep the faith a bit of time off and a well planned rehab and you can come back better than ever.Had the knee surgury thing a few years ago and now ride with knee braces and limit the hardcore riding a touch (no inverts) i am still able to enjoy a ride on my board both snow and wake.I now spend a good time riding on the skyski and have a couple of ride away inverts which more than makes up for what I have lost on the wakeboard,so dont give up too fast on your boarding.........

Any way good luck with the op and hope you heal fast ... :)

the Aussie family...

Tracie, Sorry to hear of your misfortune!!

Fortunately for me, I have no knowledge of such injuries...(knock on forehead...) so I have no advice for you other than to say rely on others EVEN if it's mentally killin ya. That's what they are there for! God knows- mamma's taken care of them...

Get well soon!

Patrick

Tracie, sorry to hear about your injury. Definitely no fun being the designated driver for the rest of the season.

Hopefully you heal faster than I did. I broke the talus bone in my right ankle over the Labor Day Weekend in 2004. No surgery...just had to let it heal on its own. The rest of that season was shot.

Hang in there.

Everything happens for a reason right, Crazy.gif I am expecting a great how to thread this winter by Tracie on waaay more built in/pop out ballast to get the boat surf ready in under two minutes flat with simple flips of the switches. :)

edit P.S. The laptop idea is a good idea, it almost feels like cheating to be propped up on the couch real comfy and still be able to keep in touch & post. Being able to do that will probably help with your anxiety, and all of ours too!

Edited by Hman442

Very sorry to hear of your injury, Tracie. Stay tough mentally and recover well.

And because you expect this from me: See, if you had a DD this wouldn't have happened. Crazy.gif

Really sorry to hear about your injury. I hope your recovery goes well. (Go and get an XBOX 360) I am getting over the same injury except I had a Lis Franc Sprain on my foot. It is the worst! My board went in the water vertical (i landed on my back from being off axis) and my left foot took all the impact and got tweeked upward in the binding (sold them). I went to the Sports Medicine place OASIS in town and my doctor said 3 month injury, I flipped. Then after two weeks on crutches, 8 weeks in an aircast, 8 weeks of physical therapy and its now just starting to feel worth riding on. Luckily I didn't have to have surgery. My whole foot was black and blue. It was my worst injury ever. It felt worse than a broken bone. I am riding on it with athletic tape and with the Watsons tight and it is taking landings fine. It is still swelling though. It happened April 29th. I have my strength back but it is still getting stiff I need to do calf lifts now to help 4 months later. Ruined my summer but I did end up getting the 04wsvlx during the injury that made it somewhat bearable. I started taking Lubiflex it is helping heal the damaged cartilage.

Good luck with your recovery. And take it slow on the rehab and it will be fine. Dont rush it. I tried that it did not work at all.

I talked to Cobe Mikacich this weekend. He gave me some of this stuff called Mona Vie (Acai Berry Amazon vitamins). I took some, it is great. Has anyone heard of it?

Edited by 2004 WSVLX

Tracie,

Sorry to hear and I know you'll find plenty of things to keep you productively occupied.

Sounds like you have a great attitude to work through it.

Best of luck on your surgery & recovery.

I as well echo the thoughts of those ahead of me, you'll be good as new in no time.

After reading some of your comments in another thread about your "crash hard" factor, I did some research on low impact boating actitvities. I may have stumbled onto something here...

What rotten bad luck Tracie.

They say though that really good boat drivers are hard to come by.

All the best from New Zealand for a speedy recovery without too much disappointment.

Hi Tracie,

Sorry to hear your season is ending with an injury... that just sa-diddly-ucks!! I'm sure that whatever you chose to do... you'll be drawing a crowd doing it!!

It doesn't sound like the X-ray folks gave you a lot of info... other than your diagnosis. An avulsion fracture is the result of the muscle and tendon being so strong... it rips a piece of the bone off!! Every muscle has two "points", the point of origin... and the point of insertion. It's most often the point of insertion that gets avulsed because it's tighter wrapped on the bone. The point of origin is typically spread out... like it is on your pectoral muscle. It goes all up and down the sternum and across ribs and into your collar bone... but the insertion point is compressed onto the head of the arm bone across a space of about 2cm.

They have to wait until the swelling goes down before they can do surgery, otherwise the bone will be displaced and never heal properly.

Soooo... R I C E it!!! Rest it so the injury doesn't get worse.

Ice it to decrease swelling and relieve pressure (less pain!!)

Compression to keep the part together and not displace them further and add support.

Elevate to keep good circulation flowing in and out and prevent pressure build up.

The reason they wiggle your foot around and ask "does this hurt" twelve times is to determine which part is broke and the extent of the rip/tear/fracture. Muscles only "pull" one way... they contract, that's it, that's all! Bones move in several planes and angles... gotta be sure we're looking at the right pieces and parts! It's harder to do that when it's "all swoled up"!!

I hope this gives a little insight and if you ever have questions, let me know! And one point to all of us...

this is why we s-s t rrrrrrrr e t c h before we stress!! So we don't rip and tear!

Best of luck in your surgery and recovery dear... and as someone posted earlier... we can all appreciate a talented and competent designated driver!! :lol:

WOW! Now there is some helpful information! I bet most of us will benefit from that info!

Tracie - add me to the list of bummed :( Though my "natural cures" aunt assures me that positive energy and vibe always help the body heal faster and more thoroughly - so keep reading this thread over and over and it should help fix you-up right (and of course all that other stuff)!

I'll say I'm glad it wasn't worse. I've read about enough bad spills that riding with braces is almost always standard procedure anymore.

The board is all feeling for you, hang in there and keep positive!!!

Trisporter,

Thank you for the most excellent information. They did give me most of that info, but I was just too bummed at the time to go into detail. The xrays that they took showed at least 2 areas that are affected, but the ct scan that they took on Friday will give better detail on the entire foot. (I'd be willing to bet pretty good money that there are a couple more spots, just based on how it felt when I first did it as well as how it feels now that the swelling has come down. Yes, I have been RICE-ing it. :)) In addition, the bone structure appears to be shifted over from where it should be, so they need to deal with that as well. I have a pre-op appointment tomorrow morning where we'll go over the results from the scan, so we'll know a lot more then.

Thank you to everyone, my spirits definitely pick up when I read all of the positive comments. I really, really appreciate it more than you can know.

Tracie,

Sorry to hear about the injury. Hopefully you will heal quickly and be able to get in some skiing this year and be ready to hit the water again in the spring. You are fortunate to have some first rate orthopods there in Bend. I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday and have you in my prayers.

My daughter has missed out on most of the wakeboarding season this year. She broke her left clavicle skiing down at Mammoth at the end of June. She started wakesurfing a few weeks ago, and then started wakeboarding a couple of weeks ago. She has been taking it easy, but started going for some bigger stuff last night and was having some pain at the break site. She has decided to just stick to some easy jumps and not to push it. She wants to be ready for the ski season. It helps to be young.

Well, the results are definitive. 3 different breaks across the foot will need surgery to fix. Thankfully since they were pretty sure at the outset, they had scheduled surgery at that point, so I'm good to go tomorrow, first up on the schedule.